The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Why can't we get a race and class change option?

xboxone1Q
xboxone1Q
✭✭✭
Why cant we get that? We get stupid costumes but we don't get a race or class change option. So we are about to do Dlc 3 and 4 coming up this year, I bet it wont happen in those dlc's because they say "we don't plan to do it right now". Why is that? I dont want to be a Templar forever he's a vet 16 at this point he will never change because eso is to strict on the character creation menu. The point of a race and class change option is to experiment with different builds to see how they work on pve and pvp to. They have blank boxes by the skill point reset area's use them, with race and class change in those blank boxes.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    According to the last ESO Live, race change is coming with the character customisation options, and class change is not happening.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • JamilaRaj
    JamilaRaj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because race is not clothes you change when it falls out of fashion.
  • altemriel
    altemriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/01/12/eso--the-year-ahead

"Longer term, expect to see information about systems like a character customization shop so you can change your character's gender, appearance, name, etc., player housing, and other systems that we'll announce in the future. We'll have much more information about all of these as the year progresses."
  • Nikkor
    Nikkor
    ✭✭✭
    It needed to happen first quarter not 3rd or 4th. I'm very unhappy about this.
  • Junkogen
    Junkogen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They want you to reroll so that you're more likely to by convenience items in the Crown Store. For real.

• Decado
    Decado
    ✭✭✭✭
    Race change is something they need to bring it and do it quickly, once they do you just watch the argonian and Orc populations plummet

Don't see them ever doing class chance and I'm fine with that, would have to many people changing class every month to the new OP build
  • miked83b14_ESO
    miked83b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    altemriel wrote: »
    http://www.elderscrollsonline.com/en-us/news/post/2016/01/12/eso--the-year-ahead

"Longer term, expect to see information about systems like a character customization shop so you can change your character's gender, appearance, name, etc., player housing, and other systems that we'll announce in the future. We'll have much more information about all of these as the year progresses."

Ha! People been begging for character/race change for 2 years. That statement is just a crafty way of saying "we haven't done squat on it." Don't get your hopes up.
    Edited by miked83b14_ESO on January 22, 2016 4:16PM
  • Nikkor
    Nikkor
    ✭✭✭
    they act like its not a priority because its not number one on the players list but you know know its up there right behind pvp lag. Honestly pissed about this.
  • DRXHarbinger
    DRXHarbinger
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Strange how I can turn into a lizard or a cat but not into a dragon knight. Although I'd bet a years wages 99% would turn into NBs just to see what's it's like without thinking of the cost and materials needed to respec a whole class.
    PC Master Race

1001CP
    8 Flawless Toons, all Classes.
    Master Angler
    Dro-M'artha Destroyer (at last)
    Tamriel Hero
    Grand Overlord
    Every Skyshard
    Down With BOP!
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It gives me hope for this game that they have NOT implemented this feature!
  • joleda4ub17_ESO
    joleda4ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    It gives me hope for this game that they have NOT implemented this feature!

I'm curious. Why is that?
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @joleda4ub17_ESO
    Because its unnecessary, people should spend time on other characters. I've made this argument many times on this site. Once a week someone makes a post saying how they want a "faction switch" or a "class switch" or "race change" it's all just depressing seeing all the lazy people.
  • flguy147ub17_ESO
    flguy147ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @joleda4ub17_ESO
    Because its unnecessary, people should spend time on other characters. I've made this argument many times on this site. Once a week someone makes a post saying how they want a "faction switch" or a "class switch" or "race change" it's all just depressing seeing all the lazy people.

It has nothing to do with lazy when dealing with race changes. Zos makes racial changes so players should be allowed race changes. Most adults with a life cant simply reroll, they literally dont have time. Try running your own business, have kids and a relationship/married. Some people may not have but 4 hours a week at most to play and an hour of that goes to crafting. That means it may take them a year to reach max level if they craft and dont grind the fastest way to level. Rerolling simply isnt an option for them.
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @joleda4ub17_ESO

What if we didn't have the option to change stats? Would that also be lazy?
  • FilteredRiddle
    FilteredRiddle
    ✭✭✭✭
    Enodoc wrote: »
    According to the last ESO Live, race change is coming with the character customisation options, and class change is not happening.

Which is exactly how it should be! The race change cannot come soon enough though...
    Xbox One NA
    The Sentinels of Padomay
    Obsidian Guard (Social with PvX Events)

Gamers always believe that an epic win is possible and that it's always worth trying, and trying now. Gamers don't sit around.
    - Jane McGonigal
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Which is exactly how it should be! The race change cannot come soon enough though...
    I was thinking the complete opposite actually. It makes no logical sense. It's easy for me to change my job, but impossible for me to suddenly become Canadian.
    Edited by Enodoc on January 28, 2016 1:08AM
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • Wump
    Wump
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking the complete opposite actually. It makes no logical sense. It's easy for me to change my job, but impossible for me to suddenly become Canadian.

Could never understand this point of view... It "makes no logical sense" to change race/name/whatever? But i guess it is abolutely logical to see a giant troll smashing my head like a pumpkin, only to state: "hey, thats fine, my shiny magical bubble made this a sweet little tickle". Then I start firing funny electric balls out of my hands, which, of course, make an absolutely logical sense. All this while i carry 14 heavy armor helmets, 6 two handed battle axes, 4 greatswords and 3 leather pauldrons in my logical, yet somehow confusing backpack. Dont forget my wallet, filled with 183.000 Gold Coins. Hope, the tamriel economy has already inventend paper money...after that i had to fight the epitome of rational logic: hordes of walking dead (got the reference), giant mudcrabs und these filthy little demons all over stonefalls. Next step: Deshaan. Taking the logical route: pressing my hands on a huge stone with blue flames and somehow - dunno how, but i'm sure its a matter of logical science - i bend the space (Nirn?) and travel with lightspeed to another region of tamriel. To pe precise: If I dont press my hand on the blue flame Stone, i can bend space as well, but somehow this takes a few of my weightless gold coins. Guess, in a rational world even the bending of space means to pay taxes.

Time to get a little bit real. This is a narrative setting in a computer game. You are playing an avatar. If the technically changing of the avatars skin is going to deconstruct my feeling of immersion, i am probably confusing a few things. Immersion happens when I delve deep into a fictitious world (we call this constructive world, which is created during a complex narrative communication "Diegesis" in literary studies) and in the same process I am temporarily fading out of the non-fictional context we usually refer to as "Reality"; up to the point where I am "forgetting" this reality and temporarily prioritize the cognition of the fictitious world. But this immersion happens while I am cognitive INTO the diegesis. That maybe some of the characters i meet during my immersive experiences have been technically reworked is a process which has happened OUTSIDE of the diegesis and therefore in no way harms my immersive experience. Hence, my immersion is (from narrative point of view) bound to a perspective which is NOT part of the "Reality" and therefore is incapable to even KNOW of technical reworks of the characters (e.g. race change).

I think i can already presage the counter Argument: "It breaks my (inner diegetic) immersion if a character (who during our meeting yesterday was an argonian) today seems to be an orc". Yes, this seems to be a contradiction. But this "contradiction" is only recognizable from a viewpoint of "realistic" (difficult term here...) settings that follow the rules of the non fictional context we are used to call reality. In a diegesis where the inhabitants recognize demons, magic, giant trolls, infinte bags, magic journeys through the world as reality, the insinuation of a transmorphed race is propably nothing more but a minor incident.

Dont get me wrong: I dont want to offend you or anyone else here. You have every right to feel your personal immersion disturbed when you recognize an avatars race has been changed. But in my view the justification "not logical" seems to be the result of a misunderstandig how immersion and/or percipience of a holistic fictional setting works.

Wish you all a nice (and immersive :) ) day in tamriel!

the Wump
    Edited by Wump on January 28, 2016 10:19AM
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that's fair enough; we know that changing race is possible in the lore of TES because we see a Dunmer turn into an Argonian (when trying to turn into a Khajiit). I suppose what I was trying to get at is that, if we are going to be able to change race, I don't see why we can't change class too, as it would be just like getting a new job.
  • Spriggen
    Spriggen
    ✭✭✭
    Class change? You see I dont ive played an mmo that has a service to switch your class so I dont care about this...

Race change is another story and needs to be put in to game asap aswell as a name change option. Sure I could power level a new toon up now but ive done alot on my main and would rather spend money on a race and name change.
  • WarLord2905
    WarLord2905
    ✭✭✭
    I think race and class change is ridiculous. Its an MMORPG, its meant to take time and patience to develop a character, or grind a new one. It would ruin the game if people could just change to the "flavor of the month". I agree that there should be a character editor to change hair, tattoos and simple things like that but not a complete overhaul. It really doesnt take that long to level a character if you want to try something different especially if you use XP potions or scrolls. It only takes around 12-14 hours of grinding in the right spots to hit VetRank on a new toon.
    NA Server XBOX 1
    BAWS Order Of Wolves
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    mike86 wrote: »
    I think race and class change is ridiculous. Its an MMORPG, its meant to take time and patience to develop a character, or grind a new one. It would ruin the game if people could just change to the "flavor of the month". I agree that there should be a character editor to change hair, tattoos and simple things like that but not a complete overhaul. It really doesnt take that long to level a character if you want to try something different especially if you use XP potions or scrolls. It only takes around 12-14 hours of grinding in the right spots to hit VetRank on a new toon.

Though I agree, there are plenty of other MMORPGs out there that are and have been doing this for a while now. ZOS is just behind on implementing this and should have at least offered a Race Change option, considering the amount of races that don't really provide enough, if anything, to most classes.

Class change, no. Race change, don't mind it.
    Rogue's Gallery (EP)(NA)(XB1)

Proud Member and Officer
    We’re recruiting for our ESO (Xbox One) Chapter
    ESO Application: Apply Here
    Homepage: http://www.roguesgalleryguild.com/
    TF Guild Page: http://tamrielfoundry.com/groups/rogues-gallery/
    Character List
    "Varyn Wryn" cp427 Nord Templar (Magicka DPS/Healer)
    "Maelis Artorius" cp427 Redguard Dragonknight (Stamina DPS)
    "Arius the Shade" cp427 Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina DPS)
    "Astalor Bloodsworn" Level 7 Altmer Sorcerer (Magicka DPS)
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You'll probably die of old age before this happens
  • Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭

While I broadly agree with your sentiment, I absolutely cannot agree with it in relation to this game.

The developers have BLEEPED around with profession and races so much that a lot of players are understandably now unhappy with their choices. Not because they made bad choices, but because developers made the players' choices bad after the fact.

And because of the BLEEPING stupid feed-your-horse-once-a-day for six months to boost inventory capacity and horse speed business, this isn't like other games where you can delete a character without too much grief. You're either setting yourself back at least six months or you have to pour a stupid amount into their cash shop because THEIR changes to the game made you regret your choices. No thanks.

On top of that there's crafting. 4 months? Special styles you might have learned. Etc. etc.
    Edited by Nerouyn on March 10, 2016 3:50AM
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that's fair enough; we know that changing race is possible in the lore of TES because we see a Dunmer turn into an Argonian (when trying to turn into a Khajiit). I suppose what I was trying to get at is that, if we are going to be able to change race, I don't see why we can't change class too, as it would be just like getting a new job.
    If by that you mean you suddenly forget all the skills you had in your old job when starting a new one... ;)

Class change isn't getting a new job. It'd be more like suddenly waking up with all your old memories forgotten and new ones in their place... yesterday you were a skilled surgeon, and today you can hardly apply a band-aid, but suddenly are an expert in structural engineering? Doesn't sound all that likely, now does it? ;)

In addition, class change is a somewhat bigger can of worms, from a technical PoV. I mean... if they go from one class to enother, what happens to all the maxed and morphed class skills? Maxing them all over again? Or taking over the old skills progress? But in that case... many morphs would be different, so how to deal with this?
    I can see why they would rather not go there...

Not to mention that no other game I ever played allowed class respec. Though I hardly play many, so there may be some... but still, the majority does not. Possibly also because too few people would pay for it to make it worth their cpge jockey time...

Thus, no class change, no trouble.

Back to the "getting a new job"... that one would be more like "dual-classing" back from D&D times. Stop learning one class, start learning another, keeping all your old class skills, but making your progress in your new class... that sort of thing. Still not the best idea due to the inclination of players to go for a cookie-cutter super-effective mix then, which might end up everyone and their granny running the same clone build... it sounds like a way to leech the fun right out of the game...

Though there are more possibilities for playing with classes, among them my very own class morph idea... how'd that be for "getting a new job"? ;)

Race change on the other hand... as mentioned... is already in the game in some quests (like the unlucky alchemist dunmer in greenshade, or the goblinizing emerald chalice in rivenspire). So the only thing remains is to give players an option to go for it as well, which will be coming... I just wish it would come..
    Sooner! Sooner! Sooner! ;)
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If by that you mean you suddenly forget all the skills you had in your old job when starting a new one... ;)

Class change isn't getting a new job. It'd be more like suddenly waking up with all your old memories forgotten and new ones in their place... yesterday you were a skilled surgeon, and today you can hardly apply a band-aid, but suddenly are an expert in structural engineering? Doesn't sound all that likely, now does it? ;)
    I was thinking you'd have to learn all skills in your new class from scratch, not suddenly having aptitude in skills you'd never used. So you'd get all your class skill points refunded from your old class, but you wouldn't have anywhere to spend them yet because you hadn't learnt any skills in your new class.
  • RebornV3x
    RebornV3x
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think we can compromise how about 1 free gender, class, and race change per account per year this way everyone can't change there builds every patch but players like me that screwed up and got to VR 10 before noticing they picked the wrong race can change. I don't have time to reroll a new character I explored most of the game I really don't feel like doing it again just to be a different race I want.
    Edited by RebornV3x on March 11, 2016 9:09PM
    Xbox One - NA GT: RebornV3x
    I also play on PC from time to time but I just wanna be left alone on there so sorry.
  • OmniDevil
    OmniDevil
    ✭✭✭✭
    RebornV3x wrote: »
    I think we can compromise how about 1 free gender, class, and race change per account per year this way everyone can't change there builds every patch but players like me that screwed up and got to VR 10 before noticing they picked the wrong race can change. I don't have time to reroll a new character I explored most of the game I really don't feel like doing it again just to be a different race I want.

I "might" be able to get behind this, might. Maybe. Not sure, possibly. I don't know.
    Rogue's Gallery (EP)(NA)(XB1)

Proud Member and Officer
    We’re recruiting for our ESO (Xbox One) Chapter
    ESO Application: Apply Here
    Homepage: http://www.roguesgalleryguild.com/
    TF Guild Page: http://tamrielfoundry.com/groups/rogues-gallery/
    Character List
    "Varyn Wryn" cp427 Nord Templar (Magicka DPS/Healer)
    "Maelis Artorius" cp427 Redguard Dragonknight (Stamina DPS)
    "Arius the Shade" cp427 Khajiit Nightblade (Stamina DPS)
    "Astalor Bloodsworn" Level 7 Altmer Sorcerer (Magicka DPS)
  • TheShadowScout
    TheShadowScout
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking you'd have to learn all skills in your new class from scratch, not suddenly having aptitude in skills you'd never used. So you'd get all your class skill points refunded from your old class, but you wouldn't have anywhere to spend them yet because you hadn't learnt any skills in your new class.
    That would be one option to do it, and the one I would consider most likely. Still would mean a great whining when someone suddenly has to rely on their weapon skills while a new class is learned, but... "dems de breaks".

Doesn't adress people "forgetting" all their old skills though, which is what would set any "class change" apart from the simple "learn a new job" notion... and make it something way more sinister. (Or awesome in the case of Wolverine, but that is a different universe, and a different license, so we won't go there for ESO ;) )
    RebornV3x wrote: »
    I think we can compromise how about 1 free gender, class, and race change per account per year...
    Unlikely. If they pay their programmers to implement recustomization features, they will want to see some profit from it. Thus any "free" ideas are almost certainly an exercise in self-deception... at the very best they -might- feel generous and allow very minor changes (like a new hairstyle) for mere in-game gold. One can hope for that, maybe, but certainly not for more...

A months long cooldown on the other hand for any of the really big changes... might be a possibility.

Personally I'd be against it though, I'd just raise the price a bit, and if someone really cared enough to change their race every week to pay 25 bucks for it on a weekly basis... let them be that foolish! Just more money in ZOS warchest to finance new content for the rest of us all the sooner...
  • Mojmir
    Mojmir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    so does a developer breaking or changing a class break your immersion? stop with the immersion argument already, you want immersion go play a single player rpg. this is an MMO not "your little world". class change/race change has been around long enough and needs to be put into place.
  • xboxone1Q
    xboxone1Q
    ✭✭✭
    My little world funny cause if I want to buy a race change. I should have the option to buy it you didn't buy the game for me I did. So I can do what ever I want to do cause it's my money and I payed for this game.