Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do the 40k mounts still come with built in stats?

Dantonian_Rarstiana
Hi, thanks for your time.
My question is quick and easy, so I will get right to it.
The three mounts you can purchase from the stable masters for 40k (Bay Dun, Brown Paint, Midnight Steed) used to come with 30 points built into the speed / storage / stamina respectively...
But now that the stats are universal on your character, does it still come with that bonus? Or are the mounts just cosmetic now?
I don't want to blow the 40k to test it :(
Thanks!
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nope, all mounts are the same

rip decibel
  • Dantonian_Rarstiana
    Man thats lame. Why did they make it still cost 40k?
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Guessing just for a gold sink, there aren't too many of them in game. Also, maybe they were just lazy and didn't change those mounts over when they implemented new ones in the crown store. It would be a bit odd if stable masters didn't have any horses.

rip decibel
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have wondered that myself. Perhaps they did it so people would view the Crown Store Mount Skins as a better option to make the horse look different.

Funny thing is, the White Imperial Horse is now uncommon so it stands out in the game.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Really want a Midnight Steed, CS pls ZOS!
    PC EU
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It costs you 250*(60*3) or 45,000 gold to completely upgrading your riding skills. Once you have done this you can access all those benefits on any and all mounts you wish to purchase in the future. The game didn't start out this way. Originally you had to raise the skills on all mounts, which is why my main character was done on day 1 of the changeover. I think it should remain the same if only to be fair. On the other hand I would like it if you could just pay a stablehand the full amount, and have the skills train themselves in an automated fashion. It was something of a headache training my riding skill on all characters. I still think the time and money sink should remain.
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

I have wondered that myself. Perhaps they did it so people would view the Crown Store Mount Skins as a better option to make the horse look different.

Funny thing is, the White Imperial Horse is now uncommon so it stands out in the game.

Love my Imperial Horse. It was a big selling point for me to get the Imperial upgrade actually. I liked having access to play any race any alliance, as well as the ability to make an Imperial (I made one).
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bad info from other posters. Mounts are different.

The 40k mounts don't show a difference in the upgradable stats (as in, none start with 20 already invested in speed). However, they are not equal. If you read the descriptions, one is speed, one is stamina and one is a mix. The speed mount, for example, is faster than the other mounts. A speed mount (forget which colors it is) is faster than the base horse when both have zero invested in speed. When it has 60 spent in speed, it will be faster than the base horse at 60.

I've tested this, both on my own character by switching mounts to see how they ride and by racing with my friend. Crown store mounts tend to be superior to all of the in game gold mounts. Between my friend and I we own four crown mounts, and they're all faster with more stam than our gold purchased mounts.

For some reason, the specs disappeared with one of the updates. I believe what happened is that the expensive mounts came pre-loaded with some upgrades, which was great but meant that over time cheap mounts would catch up...making the cost unwarranted. So ZOS put the superior stats into the basic feature of the mounts. Unfortunately, it means it's hard to compare mounts without racing them.
  • Volkodav
    Volkodav
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

They're actually 42K.I bought one ingame,the Black.Now when I have bought other mounts,I keep going back to him./So,I wont be buying others,as it is a waste of my crowns. XD
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    davey1107 wrote: »
    For some reason, the specs disappeared with one of the updates. I believe what happened is that the expensive mounts came pre-loaded with some upgrades, which was great but meant that over time cheap mounts would catch up...making the cost unwarranted. So ZOS put the superior stats into the basic feature of the mounts. Unfortunately, it means it's hard to compare mounts without racing them.

I can confirm this too. With the same level of speed training my Imperial horse takes a bit longer to get from the wayshrine to the crafting writ drop off site than the Bay horse or the crown store Senche Lioness.
  • Phranq
    Phranq
    ✭✭✭
    When originally implemented, the speed horse started with 10 in speed. At that time, you could add 50 points to any mount, giving the speed horse a final speed of 60 vs 50 for the imperial horse or base horse. The other 2 horses were +10 to stamina and +10 to carry weight, respectively.
  • Taryf
    Taryf
    ✭✭✭
    Aelthwyn wrote: »
    I can confirm this too. With the same level of speed training my Imperial horse takes a bit longer to get from the wayshrine to the crafting writ drop off site than the Bay horse or the crown store Senche Lioness.

What?!?

CLICK!
    Previously, each mount was associated with a specific set of statistics, which often led to you needing to choose between your preferred mount appearance or a mechanical benefit. Now, you are free to choose any acquired mount you like without compromising statistics.

@ZOS_GinaBruno
    skEztE8.jpg

Two options here:

1. Guys above misscalculated something
    2. Something is broken with mounts stats
    Edited by Taryf on February 15, 2016 12:26PM
    PS4
    EU
    Imperial Dragonknight Stamina Tank
    Ebonheart Pact

M'aiq prefers to adventure alone. Others just get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk - M'aiq the Liar
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Taryf wrote: »
    CLICK!
    Previously, each mount was associated with a specific set of statistics, which often led to you needing to choose between your preferred mount appearance or a mechanical benefit. Now, you are free to choose any acquired mount you like without compromising statistics.

Two options here:

1. Guys above misscalculated something
    2. Something is broken with mounts stats

Interesting. Well, there’s certainly room for human error in timing it, or for small differences such as dodging NPCs or making a slightly wider turn, so…. maybe there really isn’t supposed to be a difference. Sure seems like it to me though even when I’m not actively paying attention to comparing times. I’d be willing to say that, just as with character movement speed looking slower on tall characters, possibly the senche animations look faster at any rate, though that doesn’t explain the feeling of wading through molasses I get when I switch from a character using the bay horse to one using the imperial. But… maybe it really is all in my mind :)
    Edited by Aelthwyn on February 15, 2016 9:59PM
  • Dantonian_Rarstiana
    I just timed a straight flat run with no obstacles on 3 different mounts.
    Imperial horse - 7.3 seconds
    Nightmare Courser - 7.3 seconds
    Bay Dun Horse - 7.3 seconds
    Brown Paint Horse - 7.3 seconds.

Any perceived speed increase is imagined.
  • Taryf
    Taryf
    ✭✭✭
    4 times exacly same time?
    Impresive :smile:
    PS4
    EU
    Imperial Dragonknight Stamina Tank
    Ebonheart Pact

M'aiq prefers to adventure alone. Others just get in the way. And they talk, talk, talk - M'aiq the Liar
  • Dantonian_Rarstiana
    Taryf wrote: »
    4 times exacly same time?
    Impresive :smile:

there was slight variation.
    etc...
    I rounded the hundredth second off.