Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Provisioning, recipe improvement, and hirelings

HebrewHatchet
HebrewHatchet
✭✭✭
Considering you have all of the max level (3/3) hirelings:

The lumberjack hireling's rewards are in part determined by the number of skill points you have invested in woodworking (type of wood).

The miner hireling's rewards are in part determined by the number of skill points you have invested in blacksmithing (type of ore/metal).

The enchanter hireling's rewards are in part determined by the number of skill points you have invested in Potency improvement (level of potency runes).

Are the provisioner hireling's rewards in any way determined by the number of skill points you have invested in recipe improvement?
[PS4 NA]
PSN: HebrewHatchet

Best Answers

• SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    As far as I remember I still received Frost Mirriam and Bervez Juice on my 1/1 1/1 Prov mules with L50 Prov and 3/3 Hireling.

I'll check them in the AM and actually see (still have 6 of them so a decent sample). Only my master crafter has 4/4 6/6 prov passives.
    Answer ✓
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    And same here,

L14 Character - L50 Prov 1/4 1/6 3/3 - 5 Bervez Juice
    Edited by SpAEkus on January 24, 2016 3:47PM
    Answer ✓
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    In other words, should I expect different rewards on the following two setups:

Provisioning 50
    recipe improvement: 6/6
    provisioner hireling: 3/3

Provisioning 50
    recipe improvement: 1/6
    [PS4 NA]
  • Beardimus
    Beardimus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Id like to know this too!
    Xbox One | EU | EP
    Beardimus : VR16 Dunmer MagSorc [RIP MagDW 2015-2018]
    Emperor of Sotha Sil 02-2018 & Sheogorath 05-2019
    1st Emperor of Ravenwatch
    Alts - - for the Lolz
    Archimus : Bosmer Thief / Archer / Werewolf
    Orcimus : Fat drunk Orc battlefield 1st aider
    Scalimus - Argonian Sorc Healer / Pet master

Fighting small scale with : The SAXON Guild
    Fighting with [PvP] : The Undaunted Wolves
    Trading Guilds : TradersOfNirn | FourSquareTraders

Xbox One | NA | EP
    Bëardimus : L43 Dunmer Magsorc / BG
    Heals-With-Pets : VR16 Argonian Sorc PvP / BG Healer
    Nordimus : VR16 Stamsorc
    Beardimus le 13iem : L30 Dunmer Magsorc Icereach
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    From my experience, You have a better chance of getting Bervez Juice and Frost Merriam. I'd imagine you have a better shot at Psijic Ambrosia fragments, but I don't have much to base that off of (only have 2 fragments).
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    From my experience, You have a better chance of getting Bervez Juice and Frost Merriam. I'd imagine you have a better shot at Psijic Ambrosia fragments, but I don't have much to base that off of (only have 2 fragments).

I'm pretty sure hirelings don't bring ambrosia recipe fragments, just food.
    [PS4 NA]
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »

I'm pretty sure hirelings don't bring ambrosia recipe fragments, just food.

Lol you're right. I was thinking of writs.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, I have a perfect situation to test this. I have 4 Alts at upper VR Ranks with maxed out provisioning, and two mules, one L10 and the other L20 with close to maxed out Provisioning levels, but just points into Recipes.

Thing is, do I have the skill points to invest in the hireling on these mules to test this....

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    I'm trying to avoid the time and gold cost of a respec on an alt. If nobody answers this by this weekend, I'll just respec and start carefully looking at what the hirelings bring me (and how that differs from what my other characters get).
    [PS4 NA]
  • Malcom86
    Malcom86
    Soul Shriven

Provisioning 50

Provisioning 50

I read somewhere it's not. The hirelings skill is only (slightly) affected by the level of the provisioning. With slightly I mean it doesn't change that much, however.
    I also read that skill is totally not worth it as it gives you more or less mediocre things and stuff you can easily find without too much searching.

Sorry I can't give more help. This is all I know as I too was curious about hirelings^^
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Malcom86 wrote: »
    I also read that skill is totally not worth it as it gives you more or less mediocre things and stuff you can easily find without too much searching.

Prior to the Justice System Provisioning Hirelings were not worth it as you could run through any city with Auto Loot on and get your fill of Provisioning Ingredients. Now, you have to steal and launder them if your farming in town, or remember to farm for them if your in a delve, so the Hirelings are more worthy now if you make foods and drinks.

Also, they are the only source of Purple Ingredients outside of doing Writs. So for that alone they are worthwhile to have.

• Oreyn_Bearclaw
    Oreyn_Bearclaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I cannot answer with 100% degree of certainty. My inclination is that it does have an effect based on my observation.

Something else to consider is writs. If you have a max level provisioner, the daily writs are ridiculously easy to do. You can make a stack of each of 6 recipes in advance and just turn the writ in immediately after picking up quest. Its a virtually free 660 gold a day and they drop recipes, mats, and ambrosia fragments. Unless you are really hurting for skill points, I would just spend the points because they do affect the writs.

I do provisoner writs on 4 toons a day. I make 5-10k a week just selling stacks of provisioning mats in a trader, and another 5-10k selling ambrosia fragments. Not big money, but it is pretty much effortless.
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Prior to the Justice System Provisioning Hirelings were not worth it as you could run through any city with Auto Loot on and get your fill of Provisioning Ingredients. Now, you have to steal and launder them if your farming in town, or remember to farm for them if your in a delve, so the Hirelings are more worthy now if you make foods and drinks.

Also, they are the only source of Purple Ingredients outside of doing Writs. So for that alone they are worthwhile to have.

Well, that's not entirely true vis-a-vis the Justice System. I know I'd never waste a laundering slot on provisioning mats! However, there ARE some cities in the game, as well as some areas, where the Justice System is disabled. The Hollow City in Coldharbour is one, as is the Mage city Eveyea that you unlock via questing. Also look to places, especially castles, which at one point were occupied by hostile forces during a quest, but which you subsequently free. Some, or all of those areas may have the Justice System disabled. ;)
    Edited by Pomaikai on January 13, 2016 3:36PM
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pomaikai wrote: »
    Well, that's not entirely true vis-a-vis the Justice System. I know I'd never waste a laundering slot on provisioning mats!

How are you going to put them in the bank? I am not carrying Prov Ingredients on each of my characters. I would also not double up on the slots needed to carry them.

True, you don't need to Launder to make something with the Ingredients, but to store them in the bank or transfer them to an Alt you do.

Edited by Nestor on January 13, 2016 6:04PM

• HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    I cannot answer with 100% degree of certainty. My inclination is that it does have an effect based on my observation.

Something else to consider is writs. If you have a max level provisioner, the daily writs are ridiculously easy to do. You can make a stack of each of 6 recipes in advance and just turn the writ in immediately after picking up quest. Its a virtually free 660 gold a day and they drop recipes, mats, and ambrosia fragments. Unless you are really hurting for skill points, I would just spend the points because they do affect the writs.

I do provisoner writs on 4 toons a day. I make 5-10k a week just selling stacks of provisioning mats in a trader, and another 5-10k selling ambrosia fragments. Not big money, but it is pretty much effortless.

@Oreyn_Bearclaw, I understand what you're saying, but there is one situation where it's more of a hassle than it's worth. if you:
    1. Have the Wrothgar DLC
    2. Are doing writs in Belkarth

Then there is no provisioning writ that you can turn in easily without traveling somewhere else (Coldharbor or Orsinium). In this case, 5/6 recipe improvement gets you Coldharbor writs and 6/6 recipe improvement gets you Orsinium writs. I'm doing all writs on 3 characters, 2 in Orsinium, and then there's this one that I stuck in Belkarth.

I've respecced and taken my points out of recipe improvement for the time being to test. Since this is a newer alt, I don't have a plethora of skill points.
    [PS4 NA]
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Pomaikai wrote: »
    Well, that's not entirely true vis-a-vis the Justice System. I know I'd never waste a laundering slot on provisioning mats!

How are you going to put them in the bank? I am not carrying Prov Ingredients on each of my characters. I would also not double up on the slots needed to carry them.

True, you don't need to Launder to make something with the Ingredients, but to store them in the bank or transfer them to an Alt you do.
    As I said, I take everything that isn't nailed down in Coldharbour, Cyrodiil, and Eveyea, as well as a castle in Auridon's kitchen/food storage area. In those places you can just loot everything you find and it isn't stealing, so no need to launder it, or make something with it immediately. You can also put it directly in your bank because it's not stolen.

FYI... Since there isn't an active Justice System in those areas, you can run around those three zones with impunity, even IF you already have a price on your head. That means you can craft, sell, visit a stable, and do your banking whilst wanted by the law. ;)
  • ShadowscaleSithis
    ShadowscaleSithis
    ✭✭✭

I do provisioner writs on 4 toons a day. I make 5-10k a week just selling stacks of provisioning mats in a trader, and another 5-10k selling ambrosia fragments. Not big money, but it is pretty much effortless.

Not to sound needy, but where do you sell those ambrosia fragments. My chef is character level 24 only and the writs he gets (maxed recipe and improvements) only takes him to Windhelm so I am looking for parts (although it may be a while before I can afford them all
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Where are you selling ambrosia fragments for 5-10K? Is that what they're selling for on PC? I'm on XB1 and haven't seen anything lower than 25K. Even now, I see new posts for 30-40K.
  • Pomaikai
    Pomaikai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    5-6k is the average price per page on the PC these days.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Confirmed so far this AM

L9 Character Prov L50 1/4 1/6 3/3 received 3 Frost Mirriam
    L12 Character Prov L50 1/4 1/6 3/3 received 6 Frost Mirriam

I'll check again tonight for any Bervez Juice
    Edited by SpAEkus on January 23, 2016 3:41PM
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent information, thank you for checking :)
    [PS4 NA]
  • Drakilian
    Drakilian
    ✭✭✭

Provisioning 50

Provisioning 50

I read somewhere it's not. The hirelings skill is only (slightly) affected by the level of the provisioning. With slightly I mean it doesn't change that much, however.

Sorry I can't give more help. This is all I know as I too was curious about hirelings^^

They're worth it for the hireling mail alone.
    Just call me Drak
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I respecced an alt few days ago. I decided to assign points only to hirelings. V7, all crafts 50, 3/3 to Provisioning hireling and nothing to other passives, and i got 5 Bervez Juice in first mail.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone