Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stealth casting

tgasparej_ESO
tgasparej_ESO
Soul Shriven
Hi. I recently got a Stygian dagger drop from an npc in reapers March, and I thought the set ability was cool, (+20% spell damage when stealthed.) so I bought four more pieces of the set off of guild stores. Now that I have the set of five, I have tried to go into stealth mode and cast a spell at an enemy, but just when my cast animation ends I'm detected and I don't get the bonus 20% spell damage. I was wondering if someone could tell me why it isn't working.

I am a sorcerer, and all I did was, go into stealth and cast crystal fragments at an enemy.
I am using it in combination with the storm calling ability that increases weapon and spell power, (I forgot the name) and some passives to further increase the damage.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Speaking as a nightblade player, I might see what the issue is. How do you know your spell isn't getting the 20% boost? I read the 5 piece trait to be similar to several NB abilities. It doesn't prevent you from leaving stealth - any damage dealing attack will do that. But it does offer a 20% boost to the one attack you launch from stealth. This buff won't show in your character sheet or anywhere...it just applies to the one attack launched from stealth. You're likely getting the buff. This set is designed to give you massive sneak attack advantage.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You need to test this on a player in Cyrodiil,

Cast frags from normal,
    then stealth and cast again,
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Testing in Cyrodiil might be tough unless he gets a friend to be a test victim.

How about this - find a boss or monster where one shot does about 50%'damage. Turn on their meter in settings. Attack with gear, see 50% health drop. Run off and let monster reset. Try from stealth....does the meter go below 50 significantly? Or find a monster you can very nearly, but not quite, one shot without the buff...are you one-shooting when you equine it back?
  • tgasparej_ESO
    tgasparej_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I know i wasn't getting the damage boost because i have an add-on that shows me how much damage my abilities do. I also looked at the damage shown in the skills window while in stealth and while not in stealth, and it was higher while I was in stealth. I tried casting it a few times on the same enemy before attempting to get the stealth bonus, and the damage was the same.
    davey1107 wrote: »
    Testing in Cyrodiil might be tough unless he gets a friend to be a test victim.

How about this - find a boss or monster where one shot does about 50%'damage. Turn on their meter in settings. Attack with gear, see 50% health drop. Run off and let monster reset. Try from stealth....does the meter go below 50 significantly? Or find a monster you can very nearly, but not quite, one shot without the buff...are you one-shooting when you equine it back?

I will try this later today, or tomorrow if the maintenance lasts along time.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have never been able to Stealth Case in the game. I am always detected as I cast. I gave up even trying. Maybe I was getting the bonus before, but I doubt it. It's like a Physical Attack from in front of the mob, they see you coming even if you started from stealth.

So, try that, be behind the mob when your stealth casting, perhaps you have to do that the same way as physical attacks. However I don't think even being behind an enemy ever allowed me to stealth cast.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• tgasparej_ESO
    tgasparej_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    I tried again, and i realized that I am getting a bonus for being in stealth. I forgot that monsters also have resistance, and that my abilities won't do the exact amount of damage shown in the skills window.

Something else I noticed is that when I use the bonus from the stygian set I do more damage than if I use power surge, but they both increase damage by 20%. Power surge says it increases spell damage by 20%, and the stygian set says that spells do an additional 20% damage. I know spell damage is a stat, so I was wondering if anyone knew if they increase damage differently from each other?
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    increasing spell damage by 20% does not increase the damage of your skills by 20% since multiple variables determine move damage. however the other effect WILL increase the full damage directly.
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons