Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Is creating an alt worth it?

garnet1223
garnet1223
Soul Shriven
Well basically what I said in the title, is it worth it? In my personal situation and point of view I find both pros and cons for it so I hope you guys could maybe give me some insight. I'm pretty new to the game. (only about 2 weeks)

I guess my problem is that I.. embarrassingly will admit for this game in particular I kind of wanted to do a simple RP while playing through the game. It's basically how most people would want to play offline games. I want a good character and a bad character. My current is a high elf sorc who spares all and basically never gets in to trouble. But I realized how fun it is on this game to steal and murder so I wanted to make a evil character. (maybe like a magic casting, dual wielding dark elf vamp)

My issue with that is I learned about end game. You can go to different alliances and do their quests and collect their skyshards. I don't really want to do things twice. Not only that but the freedom in this game can essentially allow you to be whatever you want (just with extra racial perks)

I feel like the game is forcing me to play one character even though I really don't want to.

Can someone try to convince me that making an alt really is worth it? Or is it just..really not?
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have 4 main characters, one in each alliance and one dedicated to PvP. Each of them is a different class. The other 4 characters are storage mules.

Everyone looks for different things in a game. To me, having one main in each alliance was absolutely worth the extra time.
    :smile:
    Edited by SirAndy on January 8, 2016 6:48PM
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    For me, I wanted to be able to design some interesting characters in other races, and also be able to give more free werewolf bites to other alliances. So I have my main character, which is obviously what I started with, and what I am using to complete every quest available with, etc. I have 3 other characters. One an Orc in DC, for the above mentioned reasons, I wanted to create a cool Male orc, and help cover bite requests that were not in EP. Same for my Khajiit. And recently I wanted a cool Argonian character as well, so that's one more for EP.

I find it fun to come up with names, and their designs, weapons and armour, even new play styles :) I do not plan to max them out however. They will probably remain at their current levels for a long time, since most of my attention is on experiencing the game content through my main character, who is essentially me :)
    Edited by Glaiceana on January 8, 2016 6:55PM
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • wayfarerx
    wayfarerx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Alts are fun, trying out a different class and a different style of playing can be quite enjoyable.

You will have access to all alliance content, so you don't have to make alts on a separate alliance. I have 6 AD characters and a token character in the other two alliances.

Generally the quests are interesting and diverse enough to support two play-throughs before you start getting bored, the third trip through starts to get pretty stale, however.

Soon they will be removing veteran ranks which will make playing multiple characters much less grindy as well.
    @wayfarerx - PC / North America / Aldmeri Dominion
  • starkerealm
    starkerealm
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The alternate classes mean you will get a different play experience. Also, specing a Werewolf or Vampire will also play differently. Finally, yes, you do get a (very) slightly different experience when you hit a zone at normal instead of as a vet. The vet zones have minor changes to dialog at various points, to reflect their post-game status. Also the final zone in new game is NOT repeated in Silver and Gold, so each faction has a slightly different experience there. You'll encounter the same NPCs, but depending on your alliance, the NPCs you have prior experience with will be different, and as a result, you'll have some more significant changes than elsewhere in the game.
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As someone with so many alts that I have multiple accounts, I might be the wrong person to answer this, but I'd say it's worth it.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • mmstf
    mmstf
    It depends on how much time you want to invest in this game and how many acievments you want, if you don't mind putting in the hours it is worth it if you don't want to spend that much time on this game then deffinetly not as there is A LOT of content for one char
    Proud guildmaster of Nazaric, a nice PS4-EU-AD guild XD.
  • Pheefs
    Pheefs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    "You can go to different alliances and do their quests and collect their skyshards. I don't really want to do things twice.

or do you?
    :)

if you are playing a character you really enjoy at end game, you'd probably want to get them the further supply of skill points.

& if your alt is a different culture, different class, different weapons AND the opposite morality ...you are going to get a very different experience!

I say go for it, the more the merrier!
    { Forums are Weird........................ Nerfy nerfing nerf nerfers, buff you b'netches!....................... Popcorn popcorn! }
  • garnet1223
    garnet1223
    Soul Shriven
    Okay thanks guys that really actually helps! Especially from the people who said that you'll have a different experence in different opposing factions as soon as you get there. I didn't know that. The game is actually a little bit cooler now that I know NPCs will treat you differently. I've even realized it happens in your own faction. I didn't realize it as a high elf myself (because of lore) but my friend, a kajeet was appearently spoken to very differently. Anyway thanks guys, making my new character now!
  • starlizard70ub17_ESO
    starlizard70ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have 5 16VR charactors, one of each class and a crafter, all Khajiits. Their backstory is that they are all from the same clan/family, brothers, cousins. That's about as far as the roleplaying goes, :p . I did one charactor of each class just to see how each class works. It really depends on how many different ways you want to roleplay to end up in the same place. If you like experimenting with play styles, make alts. If not, go with 1 or 2 charactors.
    "We have found a cave, but I don't think there are warm fires and friendly faces inside."