The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Armor/Damage Mitigation question

NagualV
NagualV
✭✭✭✭
Hello all. I'm leveling a DK Tank and was wondering if the community could answer a question for me.

Will a V16 purple/legendary 7/7 crafted heavy armor set take you to 33K physical resistance by itself, unbuffed? I am currently at V6 and was thinking about the type of gear I would want when I reach V16 to do endgame tanking. I dont have much experience at all in endgame. Ive read that 33K is a good physical resistance stat to achieve because it allows you to mitigate 50% of damage from armor. Any help/other advice is welcome. I chose Orc as my race.

Best Answers

• Rex-Umbra
    Rex-Umbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No it won't.
    Xbox GT: Rex Umbrah
    GM of IMPERIUM since 2015.
    Answer ✓
  • Wollust
    Wollust
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You need the armor buff to reach the hardcap.
    Susano'o

Zerg Squad
    Answer ✓
  • MaxwellC
    MaxwellC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Ipomoea

It depends on the traits you have on your armor/shield alongside CP. If you have 75 CP in the stead then you'll be well on your way to that 33k un-buffed as a shield legendary with reinforced gives over 3.4k armor right there. If you put all reinforced on your armor (IMO it's bad at-least infused on the main body parts for more resources as you're a DK) you'll definitely reach 30k un-buffed but I'm not sure if you'll reach 33k un-buffed.
    With hardened armor you should definitely surpass it (not sure the diminishing return value after hitting the hard cap sorry).

I'm a DK and I do tank a lot and a lot of players ask me to tank all the time for WGT,CoP, and Prision/trials so I've got a lot of experience :). As of now I've taken a break from tanking trying out full DPS mode for a change and not in-between which I did after tanking.
    Edited by MaxwellC on January 1, 2016 3:27AM
    不動の Steadfast - Unwavering
    XBL Gamer Tag - Maxwell
    XB1 Maxwell Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Redguard Stamina DK
    XB1 Max Crystal - NA DC CP 800+ Brenton Magicka DK
    PC Maxwell-Crystal - NA DC - CP 200+ Brenton Magicka DK 「Retired」
    Band Camp statements: To state "But this one time I saw X doing X... so that justifies X" Refers to the Band camp statement.
    Coined by Maxwel
    l
    Answer ✓
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's good to armor stack but the flaw is that some people use a lot of armor pierce, so I opt to focus on other areas.

It is more beneficial to max out Def and res for pve than pvp.
    Edited by Cathexis on January 1, 2016 5:21AM
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
    Answer ✓
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    No trust me. Full VR16 gold level with reinforce on all pieces boosting them another 16% with another 7.6% physical res bonuse from CP and a DK that gives another 3300 spell res and a gold level GS with defending boost res another 12% and 5 piece whitestreaks and 2 piece hist bark at gold level again i add and my res is only 27K spell res and 26K physical res.

This is proof right here at how massive the damage/defense gap is. I have to have a ton of gold VR16 level gear with a ton of defense bonuses from traits to CP and yes it's good in PvE but usless in PvP cause of penetrations and players getting crazy amount of damage due to there being no hard cap for damage.

Fix defense ZOS a tank should not have to have to depend on damage shields just cause there is a cap on defense and none on damage.
    Answer ✓
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks all for your comments.
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Ipomoea

It depends on the traits you have on your armor/shield alongside CP. If you have 75 CP in the stead then you'll be well on your way to that 33k un-buffed as a shield legendary with reinforced gives over 3.4k armor right there. If you put all reinforced on your armor (IMO it's bad at-least infused on the main body parts for more resources as you're a DK) you'll definitely reach 30k un-buffed but I'm not sure if you'll reach 33k un-buffed.
    With hardened armor you should definitely surpass it (not sure the diminishing return value after hitting the hard cap sorry).

I'm a DK and I do tank a lot and a lot of players ask me to tank all the time for WGT,CoP, and Prision/trials so I've got a lot of experience :). As of now I've taken a break from tanking trying out full DPS mode for a change and not in-between which I did after tanking.

Thanks for the insight. Is it viable to go 5/1/1 heavy/medium/light in end game? I see many people do that. I've always gone 7/7. Does reaching that 33K stat make a difference in your opinion?
  • Aunatar
    Aunatar
    ✭✭✭
    Hello OP, I have a suggestion for you!
    Try using the Armor Master set and buff yourself with evasion: it's like having a full Hist Bark set and an armor buff, but you only use resources for 1 skill and get 5% max HP too :)
    You will definitely hit the hard cap with that!
    Also, try it on PTS: after hitting the hard cap, put divines/infused on the remaining parts that aren't reinforced yet.
    I personally use reinforced on the shield only, then evasion to proc my Armor master bonus and hardened armor to get Major Ward/Resolve (and the extra 12% healing), then I can put divines on my armor :)
    Edited by Aunatar on January 1, 2016 6:50PM
    @Aunatar
    V16 Sorcerer - Aunatar
    V16 DK - Aunatarans (Currently main)
    V16 DK - Aunatar Evereth
    V16 DK - Aunataran
    V16 NB - Aunatars
    V4 Templar - Lysindel
    Lvl 30 NB - Vile Aunataroni De Pipino
    Free spot, looking for suggestions
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    Aunatar wrote: »
    Hello OP, I have a suggestion for you!
    Try using the Armor Master set and buff yourself with evasion: it's like having a full Hist Bark set and an armor buff, but you only use resources for 1 skill and get 5% max HP too :)
    You will definitely hit the hard cap with that!
    Also, try it on PTS: after hitting the hard cap, put divines/infused on the remaining parts that aren't reinforced yet.
    I personally use reinforced on the shield only, then evasion to proc my Armor master bonus and hardened armor to get Major Ward/Resolve (and the extra 12% healing), then I can put divines on my armor :)

This is excellent Information, thank you. Part of my reason for creating this thread/question is precisely that I was considering the armor master set. Upon activation of an armor skill, it gives you a tremendous amount of armor like you said. I did not connect evasion to an armor skill before. This is definately very interesting. Can you slot a medium armor skill like evasion without wearing medium armor?
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ipomoea wrote: »
    Part of my reason for creating this thread/question is precisely that I was considering the armor master set. Upon activation of an armor skill, it gives you a tremendous amount of armor like you said. I did not connect evasion to an armor skill before. This is definately very interesting. Can you slot a medium armor skill like evasion without wearing medium armor?

Yes, you can. I run 5 heavy Armor Master + 2 light and use Shuffle.
  • NagualV
    NagualV
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    Part of my reason for creating this thread/question is precisely that I was considering the armor master set. Upon activation of an armor skill, it gives you a tremendous amount of armor like you said. I did not connect evasion to an armor skill before. This is definately very interesting. Can you slot a medium armor skill like evasion without wearing medium armor?

Wow that makes perfect sense then. I should have tried it (always thought you had to have at least one piece of medium) Thanks to everyone for the help
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Wow that makes perfect sense then. I should have tried it (always thought you had to have at least one piece of medium) Thanks to everyone for the help

You don't get the 2nd part of the ability, the improve immunity to snares, tho, unless you are running 5 piece medium.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You don't get the 2nd part of the ability, the improve immunity to snares, tho, unless you are running 5 piece medium.

Well with 2 medium shuffle will last 1 second, would Unstoppable be a better choice?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Well with 2 medium shuffle will last 1 second, would Unstoppable be a better choice?

Not IMO. Since I wear Armor Master, activating Shuffle puts me at or near the resist cap, so I wouldn't gain much from Unstoppable.
  • TotterTates
    TotterTates
    ✭✭✭✭
    For a DK, unstoppable is the better option.
    Cuppincakes
    • Imperial Dragonknight (Tank)
    • Pre-TG vMA Score: 459,636 [55:36, 0 Sigils, 0 Deaths] (Stamina)
    • Post-TG vMA Score: 537,328 [53:36, 0 Sigils, 0 Deaths] (Stamina)
    Bäby Spice
    • Altmer Sorc (DPS)
    Alisaeri
    • Dunmer Dragonknight (Healer/DPS)
    Church
    • Argonian Templar (Healer)
    Moon Moon
    • Khajiit Nightblade (DPS)

My Twitch Channel: TotterTanks