The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Summon Shade - why do we need a target?

NobleNerd
NobleNerd
✭✭✭✭
Why does the Summon Shade need a target in order to cast it? Most of the time for me it locks up and I have to move my cross hairs over the target a second time to get it to cast. After casting it the shade will seek out the next target I attack, so why not let us just summon it without a target and then have the same control like the Daedric summons?

So many abilities seem to be having activation lag or lock ups lately. I really hope that this is majorly addressed with the Thieve's Guild patch!
BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
~a mature gaming community~
Website
DISCORD
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A targeted ability cannot be casted without a target

An AOE around yourself, a cone, a self buff can be casted without a target. A ground AOE only after two clicks.

To your Summon Shade: would you rather have an untargeted Shade, that decides himself from which enemy you get the Minor Maim 15% damage debuff ?

I am quite happy that I am in control: if I target the big boss, I will get Minor Maim on that big Boss, and not on some trash mob nearby.

Edited by hrothbern on December 28, 2015 10:28PM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The honest answer is, shadow image not requiring a target would make NB have an un-counterable escape since you'd have no way of knowing it was even placed much less where. As it stands, a NB using shadow image right is *** hard to kill.
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭
    hrothbern wrote: »

An AOE around yourself, a cone, a self buff can be casted without a target. A ground AOE only after two clicks.

To your Summon Shade: would you rather have an untargeted Shade, that decides himself from which enemy you get the Minor Maim 15% damage debuff ?

I am quite happy that I am in control: if I target the big boss, I will get Minor Maim on that big Boss, and not on some trash mob nearby.

When I kill the enemy that my shade is targeted on and attack another enemy it applies the debuff on the next, so that is not why we need to target it to cast it.
    Edited by NobleNerd on December 29, 2015 1:56AM
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    Website
    DISCORD
  • hrothbern
    hrothbern
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NobleNerd wrote: »

When I kill the enemy that my shade is targeted on and attack another enemy it applies the debuff on the next, so that is not why we need to target it to cast it.

The ability is made to lower the damage of a specific dangerous enemy with 15% (Minor Maim).

Against big bosses, in a group or solo, that is very valuable.

That the shades move on to the next enemy after the dangerous enemy is killed, is a secundary and beneficial effect.

Edited by hrothbern on December 29, 2015 7:51AM
    "I still do not understand why I followed the advice of Captain Rana to bring the villagers of Bleakrock into safety. We should have fought for our village and not have backed down, with our tail between our legs. Now my home village is in shambles, the houses burning, the invaders feasting.I swear every day to Shor that after Molag Bal has been defeated, I will hunt down the invaders and restore peace in Bleakrock and drink my mead with my friends at the market place".PC-EU
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mainly for pvp reasons I suspect, casting Shade without needing a target would make it easy for NBs to jump in the fight and teleport back to safety before dying.

PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • tennant94
    tennant94
    ✭✭✭
    It would be nice if it required no target because it is very awkward to cast sometimes. Especially since its an ability you need to be quick to use. Also the range for me is way to short.
  • Jumper45
    Jumper45
    ✭✭✭

I think he means PBAOE that goes into assist mode and while you say you would like the boss to have it than trash then all you need to do is hit the boss which should happen anyways again before the duration of maim completes.

I also see no point why it would need a target. While it may seem simple it would have a big impact on the ability pretty much in theory making all your attacks cause maim vs them just sticking to 1 thing and reapplying over and over which is a waste.

And as for the teleporting morph. I also see no issue with this. People will say game breaking. I will say many other games use the same function and not have a game breaking situation. Like GW2 for example uses such an ability. I think as long as you are in LOS of the shade to teleport it should work just fine. The duration isnt that long.

Not to mention they already have access to the teleport shade. So it wouldn't change much more importantly for macro uses on PC would be unaffected.
    Edited by Jumper45 on December 29, 2015 3:31PM
    “All right, I've been thinking, when life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade! Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons! What am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager!
    Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man whose gonna burn your house down - with the lemons!” (Portal 2)

17 Years MMORPG Experience healing and I still havn't figured out why people stand in red circles.
  • NobleNerd
    NobleNerd
    ✭✭✭✭
    tennant94 wrote: »
    It would be nice if it required no target because it is very awkward to cast sometimes. Especially since its an ability you need to be quick to use. Also the range for me is way to short.

This is more my point about the ability as it is right now..... awkward and clumsy.
    BLOOD RAVENS GAMING
    Website
    DISCORD
  • OdinForge
    OdinForge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's kind of clunky with a forced target, but this also keeps it relatively grounded. If it didn't require a target, it would become way too easy to use this ability, and people would have an issue.

Though to be honest, I'd prefer better shade skill and less cloak from the class.
    Edited by OdinForge on December 29, 2015 7:26PM
    The Age of Wrobel.