The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Where's all the Ancestor Silk?

NhytFahl
NhytFahl
✭✭
Why does Ancestor Silk seem to be so hard to come by?

Rubedo leather scraps drop like candy all over Wrothgar, but even though I'm VR16 with maxed out Clothing skills, 99% of cloth material nodes are popping Void Bloom?

And it's the same with mob drops that can be deconstructed: Rubedo Leather out the wazoo, hardly any Ancestor Silk.

I've been VR16 for only a couple of days now, and I have over 200 Rubedo Leather, but only 37 Ancestor Silk in the same amount of time.

And I'm supposed to come up with nearly 1,000 Ancestor Silk to craft my VR16 armor set? Really?

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?!?!?!?!?!?!?
  • NhytFahl
    NhytFahl
    ✭✭
    Oh, and my hireling has yet to deliver me anything Ancestor Silk. So far it's been all Rubdeo Leather.
  • Qyrk
    Qyrk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RNG? Many people are quite the opposite (including me) : Ancestor Silk is abundant (so far reached 1k silks many times and have to trade it for other things). My suggestion would be to just keep killing things and decon the drops.

Another good idea is to trade your leather for ancestor silk. It has been brought up many times here in the forums that rubedo leather do not have the same drop rate (slightly lower) as ancestor silk (for many people) - therefore you're probably taking all the leather from the rest of us :):p . Lucky you, what you have is still in demand; you shouldn't have trouble trading the leather for silk 1 for 1.
    Edited by Qyrk on December 25, 2015 1:48PM
  • Jaronking
    Jaronking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey if you play Xbox NA I'll trade you 200 ancestors Silk for The leather.
  • gw2only1b14_ESO
    gw2only1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    OP, have you put points into seeing the mats? Ill be honest I couldn't really see the silk nodes so i spent 1 point in that and now I'm swimming in it
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    OP, have you put points into seeing the mats? Ill be honest I couldn't really see the silk nodes so i spent 1 point in that and now I'm swimming in it

Yeah, ancestor silk blends into the surroundings.

I have a bunch, but hard for me to say swimming when it takes so much to make v16 gear.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I definitely get more silk than leather, and lots of people have complained about leather availability. If you have more than you need, you are in a good position. Post in zone chat you want to trade, and you'll probably have a taker very quickly.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gotta be RNG I have 1000s of ruby ash, 1000s of rubedite, low Ancestor silk, and even lower leather.

I assume most people are harvesting the silk? I know I'll jump all over silk.

Though IC grind is the fastest way to get the mats.
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    NhytFahl wrote: »

Rubedo leather scraps drop like candy all over Wrothgar, but even though I'm VR16 with maxed out Clothing skills, 99% of cloth material nodes are popping Void Bloom?

And it's the same with mob drops that can be deconstructed: Rubedo Leather out the wazoo, hardly any Ancestor Silk.

I've been VR16 for only a couple of days now, and I have over 200 Rubedo Leather, but only 37 Ancestor Silk in the same amount of time.

And I'm supposed to come up with nearly 1,000 Ancestor Silk to craft my VR16 armor set? Really?

Make sure you pick up everything in Orsinium, if you leave the nodes you don't want you will never get the ones you do.
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Hawco10
    Hawco10
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have much the same issue, running around and can't seem to avoid leather, I'm practically swimming in the stuff at the end of each hunt. Heavy sacks? Leather, drops from npc kills? Leather etc.
    Got lucky, came across a guy in the sewers looking to trade leather for silk, so all I do now is wait for him in the sewers and when he shows up asking for leather, I just trade him all mine.
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    See Trader Borgrara in Morkul Stronghold on PS4NA.

She has what you need!
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have to buy my silk, everything else I have tons of.
    PC EU
  • gw2only1b14_ESO
    gw2only1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    bryanhaas wrote: »

Make sure you pick up everything in Orsinium, if you leave the nodes you don't want you will never get the ones you do.

dam this guy gets it...........
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Silk nodes are this dark red that seems to blend into the shadows, unlike the bright reds of ore and wood you can see from across the map. Raw cloth and alchemy are generally worth the keen eyes skill point.

I've been operating under the assumption that since the nodes change based on skill points in your craft level, I leave the blue nodes because they might be red for the next person. Unlike with nirncrux, I think this system promotes less node sniping among farmers.
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    That's interesting, I can never find anyone who wants to trade me their materials for my silk.
  • SteveCampsOut
    SteveCampsOut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's put it this way. Ever since Orsinium came out, my hirelings will deliver 1 ONE Ancester Silk a day, EVERY OTHER DAY but when it comes to Rubedo Leather or Rubedite metal I get stacks of 10 raws from my hirelings! Silk? Just 1! It's a conspiracy!!!
    @ֆȶɛʋɛƈǟʍքֆօʊȶ ʀʋʟɨʄɛ⍟
    Sanguine & Psijic Group Beta Tester.
    Steve's Craftiness Find out what I can make for you at my Google Doc Spreadsheet.
    Pacrooti's Hirelings Website:
    pacrootis.enjin.com/

NA Server:
    Steforax Soulstrong CH782 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH782 Dragonknight AD
    Rheticia Le Drakisius CH782 Nightblade DC
    Razmuzan Thrasmas CH782 Templar EP
    Sheenara Soulstrong CH782 Dragonknight DC
    Erik Ramzey CH782 Nightblade AD
    Growling Kahjiti CH782 Nightblade EP
    One of Many Faces CH782 Sorcerer DC
    Grumpasaurus Rex CH782 Warden DC
    EU Server:
    Guildmaster of Pacrooti's Hirelings AD Based LGBT Friendly Guild.
    Stefrex Souliss CH701 Sorcerer AD
    Grumpy Kahjiti CH701 Dragonknight DC
    Slithisi Ksissi CH701 Nightblade EP
    Pokes-With-Fire CH701 Dragonknight AD
    Josie-The-Pussi-Cat CH701 Templar AD
    Stug-Grog M'God CH701 Templar DC
    One With Many Faces CH701 Nightblade DC
    Trixie Truskan CH701 Sorcerer EP
    Grumpetasaurus Rex CH701 Warden EP
    ESO Plus status: Canceled!
  • eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's put it this way. Ever since Orsinium came out, my hirelings will deliver 1 ONE Ancester Silk a day, EVERY OTHER DAY but when it comes to Rubedo Leather or Rubedite metal I get stacks of 10 raws from my hirelings! Silk? Just 1! It's a conspiracy!!!

I think I've seen one stack of 10 raw Rubedo since release, but I get 10 raw silk about once a week.

It's definitely a conspiracy.
  • davey1107
    davey1107
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1. It's a node issue, as people have said. Farmers are idiots and leave the void bloom. If you leave a void, it never respawns and never has a shot at becoming silk. If someone leaves crawlers, they're a double idiot.

2. Silk will be rarer than Rubedo because Rubedo drops from kills.

3. If you build up Rubedo, go to the IC and offer a 1:1 trade via area chat. Or an area where vets hang out. When I was building my v16 gear I always had 100-200 silk and always jumped on that trade. If you PVP, group up and ask while horsing to an attack.

4. Or do daily writs if you're a max lvl clothier. You'll be asked to craft either one Rubedo and amd two shadow hide items, or one silk and two void. Dump the silk writs if you like so you're not burning 12-15 of them. But the reward will be a special silk or Rubedo item that deconstructs into 4-6 mats. And once in every three writs I get a survey. There is no Rubedo survey - wrothgar clothier surveys always take you to nodes that return 50ish raw silk and 50ish raw void. In other words, I've found that doing writs every day provides a silk surplus (as well as ruby ash and rubedite, but a deficit in Rubedo).
  • Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    Its completely the opposite for me, I get more silk than I need but 1 piece of scrap leather off of 10-15 kills... Plenty of shadowhide always with the TONS and TONS of shadowhide, which at V16 I no longer have a use for other tan to refine for usefull items. They should put dead cows or something next to the silk on writs so we can get the leather.
  • MilwaukeeScott
    MilwaukeeScott
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mike0987 wrote: »
    Its completely the opposite for me, I get more silk than I need but 1 piece of scrap leather off of 10-15 kills

If you were on PS4NA and added me as a friend and we could offer to exchange 1/1 silk/leather if this kind of stuff was allowed on this forum.

But since it's not allowed I won't make the offer - _ *
    PS4NA

All I see is hate and rage from people who don't understand how to.....
  • bryanhaas
    bryanhaas
    ✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »

I've been operating under the assumption that since the nodes change based on skill points in your craft level, I leave the blue nodes because they might be red for the next person. Unlike with nirncrux, I think this system promotes less node sniping among farmers.

It seems everyone sees the same VR16 nodes So I assume it is just coded that node x is vr16 and node y is vr9 if crafting = 10 else default to current level. So again assuming I am guessing the RNG factor is determined when the node originally spawns and not when it is pulled. Also if people need void there is always Craglorn so I would assume most farming in Orcy town are looking for other resources.
    Edited by bryanhaas on January 6, 2016 4:50PM
    PS4 NA AD GM formerly known as GM of "The Children of the Void"

9 trait crafter I do all the things (Yes I mean ALL the things ;0).

Price list: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1FTV7ACtmEpQQwsEiHVcrBxC0zKaj6LKvc3An7dGG2t0/edit?usp=sharing
    Youtube: MaulochBaal https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRav05_8nWGvlTrfBBefaEw/featured
  • Dread_Guy
    Dread_Guy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaronking wrote: »
    Hey if you play Xbox NA I'll trade you 200 ancestors Silk for The leather.

Dont do it! It's a trap!
    Edited by Dread_Guy on January 7, 2016 9:36AM
    "My name is Julius Decimus Heraclius, Guildmaster of the Scions of the Sun, Brigadier of the Covenant Army, loyal servant to the High King Emeric. Brother to a betrayed legion, son to a fallen empire. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next." ---Julius Decimus Heraclius (Imperial Templar)
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mike0987 wrote: »
    Its completely the opposite for me, I get more silk than I need but 1 piece of scrap leather off of 10-15 kills... Plenty of shadowhide always with the TONS and TONS of shadowhide, which at V16 I no longer have a use for other tan to refine for usefull items. They should put dead cows or something next to the silk on writs so we can get the leather.

Silk is a lot easier to come by...

You get it from surveys, but one in three writs will require leather.

Nodes will give at least three raw materials, whereas each kill generally gives 1 raw leather.

I'd like to see "dead cow" surveys :)

• helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    driosketch wrote: »

It seems everyone sees the same VR16 nodes So I assume it is just coded that node x is vr16 and node y is vr9 if crafting = 10 else default to current level. So again assuming I am guessing the RNG factor is determined when the node originally spawns and not when it is pulled. Also if people need void there is always Craglorn so I would assume most farming in Orcy town are looking for other resources.

Yes, the nodes spawn to the area, not to player. I've tested this by logging in simultaneously with two accounts, then looking and picking them up. If someone sees red node, everybody who has points assigned sees it as red. If it's a void bloom, it is void bloom for everybody.

Those who have less skill points see it and pick it as lesser node. If two players, one with max points and one with none, look the same plant, they see it as ancestor/void for first and as jute for the second. If either one looked into node without picking, it disappeared from the second. There seems to be some kind of locking mechanism system. So looking but not picking or leaving crawlers is harmful for everybody, even for the peeker.

Unpicked void bloom stays void bloom long time. Only picking up void bloom gives a chance for a node to become ancient silk. I tested this at quiet time by placing toons to a certain choke points to an enclosed area. Then i passed the area and i wrote down the nodes. Toons "guarded" the area to see if someone passed. Nobody did. The second toon checked the nodes few hours later. No node had changed.

Nobody comes to Wrothgar for void blooms. So the mixed void bloom/ancestor silk is completely useless and irritating system. It is just another time sink to gather low value stuff. Ancestor silk is white mats and nothing compared to e.g. legendary upgrade mats.
    Edited by helediron on January 10, 2016 11:21AM
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Eshelmen
    Eshelmen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    on the positive side of collecting a crap ton of void bloom is the chances of refining and getting wax, which is awesome. I'll take my 4 or 5 to 1 ratio of void vs silk nodes(my personal ratio), because I'm also getting good mats when I refine them.
    Edited by Eshelmen on February 27, 2016 4:55PM
    PC and PS4 EP only player
  • Jimboo84
    Jimboo84
    ✭✭✭

It's not hard to come by Ancestor Silk.

Take mobs in IC Sewers / City, and deconstruct all of the items you gain, or buy at a cheaper price at Guild Stores.
    In Wrothgar it's random, only Void Bloom or Ancestor Silk, but less then in IC Sewers/City.
    Jimerio / Magicka Sorcerer / PvP & PvE / Master Crafter(Woodworking, Blacksmithing, Alchemy, Provisioning, Enchanting, Clothing) / DD & Heal / CP560+ / Aldmeri Dominion / PC / EU
  • adriant1978
    adriant1978
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's in the Imperial City, being told by the Tel Var merchant. :/