Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Solution for negative effects of alchemy reagent

ajwest927
ajwest927
✭✭✭
As an alchemist my potion select is very limited thank to the negative effects of some reagent, I come up with an alternative solution to replace the negative effects of these reagents, so that why we can create more diverse of potions.

1.Ravage magicka = preserve magicka (cost reduction )
2. Ravage stamina = preserve stamina
3. Lower armor = restore armor
4. Reduce speed = strength (light & heavy attack do extra damage )
5. Ravage health = preserve health ( damage taken reduction )
6. Stun = courage ( immune to fear)
7. Lower spell power = soulless ( drain emenies magicka )
8. Lower spell resistance = explosion ( aoe damage )
9. Lower spell critical = toxic ( dot damage )
10. Lower weapon power = exhaustion ( drain emenies stamina )
11. Lower weapon critical = damage shield
  • Slammer99uk
    Slammer99uk
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the bottom passive in Alchemy skill tree reduce/remove the negative affects? If I remember you can put a total of 3 points into it. The first one reduces negative affects by 50% I don't know the rest as I don't have points in it.

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    These negative traits are probably in place for a future expansion allowing the use of poisons.
  • ajwest927
    ajwest927
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't the bottom passive in Alchemy skill tree reduce/remove the negative affects? If I remember you can put a total of 3 points into it. The first one reduces negative affects by 50% I don't know the rest as I don't have points in it.

They can replace those passive with Hireling
  • ajwest927
    ajwest927
    ✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    These negative traits are probably in place for a future expansion allowing the use of poisons.

I don't see how they gonna make these negative effect any useful especially with the passive ability of reducing negative effects in potions
  • gw2only1b14_ESO
    gw2only1b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Pretty sure the Thieves Guild/Dark Brotherhood may add in some uses for those....
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm all for new alchemy ingredients with new effects, but negative effects in ingredients has always been a staple of alchemy in the ES universe. The idea is to maintain balance in alchemy, so that powerful potions come with somewhat of a price. The theory is that plants will have useful/positive properties, but also negative properties.

What you're proposing would certainly expand the range of useful potions and add in some new effects, but I'd rather see new ingredients added with new effects than remove negative effects from existing ingredients.

And, as others have mentioned, they may introduce the use of poisons in a future expansion. Right now, you can only ingest potions, and the passive reduces the duration of those negative effects on you, so the passive won't need to change if they introduce poisons, as those would be used on other players/enemies and thus not affected by the passive.

Presumably, they would introduce the ability to coat your weapon with a potion with negative effects. This is what they did in other ES games - potions were only usable on yourself, but poisons could either be ingested or used to coat your weapons (or used to poison someone directly by placing it in their inventory) - at least in Skyrim (can't recall how they worked in Oblivion or Morrowind).
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on December 17, 2015 6:14PM