Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is nirncrux in all of Craglorn now?

Caroloces
Caroloces
✭✭✭✭✭
I've been doing blacksmithing for quite awhile now, and I've researched all traits except Nirncrux. I picked up the fact at some point that upper Craglorn is the only place where you can harvest nirncrux, but I thought I heard that it was spread throughout all of Craglorn in a recent patch. Is this true? Also, can it be found in Orsinium?
I imagine that the best way to research it is to harvest it first, give it to a guildmate who has done the research already so he can fashion a piece for you to research. I don't think I've ever seen an armor piece drop in the game that has the nirncrux trait on it.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The only equipment drops with Nirn trait are from doing the Upper Crag quests. Yes, you can find nirncrux in both Upper and Lower Craglorn. I have found it in both. Best bet is to do the writs, though. No Nirn in Orsinium for now at least.

If you have a guildie who will make the item for you, go for it. You can buy them in guild stores, prices starting around 9k. Tip your crafter....they likely invested a lot of gold to learn all the traits. I know I did.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There was a Dev post that at some point Nirnhoned would be found on nodes all over Craglorn but I'm not sure if that was an Orsinium or a later DLC update. You cannot get them in Wrothgar though.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can pull nirncrux when gathering any Voidstone, Nightwood or Void Bloom node from either Upper or Lower Craglorn.
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thelon wrote: »
    You can pull nirncrux when gathering any Voidstone, Nightwood or Void Bloom node from either Upper or Lower Craglorn.

Yep, but it's a real chore. Especially potent is very hard to find.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Caroloces
    Caroloces
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the responses.
    Couple of questions still remain. I just watched Deltia's video on gathering Nirncrux, and he mentioned that killing the Welwa(?) critter also gave Nirncrux drops. Has anybody found this to be true?
    And from @Jura23's comment: He mentions potent Nirncrux. What exactly is that? Are there different types of Nirncrux?
    I'm realizing that the research times are going to be quite lengthy. Is the nirncrux trait as valuable as all the effort required to gain it?
    Just as an aside: This whole business was brought to the forefront because of one of the gear sets found at a crafting station in wrothgar. I was putting a lot of effort (Morkuldin) in finding the quest that would unlock this crafting station, when I discovered that 9 traits were required to make this gear set. So researching Nirncrux is not just for the trait itself, but for the benefits of a fully mastered blacksmithing craft.
  • helediron
    helediron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You might get nirncrux from welwas, but very, very rarely, like once per year. It seems that everything that drops traits have very low possibility for nirncrux. E.g. i have got one from heavy sacks. In practice only void bloom, voidstone and nightwood drop them large (sic) quantities. Survey map nodes have increased drop rate. Be sure to have Plentiful Harvest CP passive, because it increases nirncrux yields. It has 10% chance to loot a node twice, so you have two chances for nirn then.

Potent nirncrux is for weapons and fortified is for armor. For me farming gives roghly 80% fortifieds and 20% potents.

Currently potent is very valuable, because it is best weapon trait for magicka users. Nirn trait for armors got heavily nerfed few patches ago and lost it's value as a trait.

Both ones have their value as ninth trait and therefore sought after by crafters. Because they are hard to farm, i believe they will hold their value. Hardly anybody have hundreds of these, so it will stay rare. Potent nirncrux price has actually been rising lately.
    On hiatus. PC,EU,AD - crafting completionist - @helediron 900+ cp, @helestor 1000+ cp, @helestar 800+ cp, @helester 700+ cp - Dragonborn Z Suomikilta, Harrods, Master Crafter. - Blog - Crafthouse: all stations, all munduses, all dummies, open to everyone
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Caroloces wrote: »
    Thanks for the responses.
    Couple of questions still remain. I just watched Deltia's video on gathering Nirncrux, and he mentioned that killing the Welwa(?) critter also gave Nirncrux drops. Has anybody found this to be true?

Yes, it's true. Any animal in Craglorn that drops hides for crafting can drop Nirncrux.

Edited by Nestor on December 17, 2015 3:17PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Caroloces wrote: »
    Just as an aside: This whole business was brought to the forefront because of one of the gear sets found at a crafting station in wrothgar. I was putting a lot of effort (Morkuldin) in finding the quest that would unlock this crafting station, when I discovered that 9 traits were required to make this gear set. So researching Nirncrux is not just for the trait itself, but for the benefits of a fully mastered blacksmithing craft.

The main value for me is being able to craft the 9-trait sets (and for the sake of completion). As mentioned above, magicka users will want to craft Nirn weapons, but for armor, it's not as powerful as it once was (which was actually a bug).
  • rez0055
    rez0055
    ✭✭✭
    It's all over Craglorn now yes, and you can get fortified nirncrux much faster now. Just farm every node you encounter in Craglorn. If you are lucky you can even get two every half hour. But mostly it's around 1 fortified per hour, some say you have to grind 100 nightwood/voidbloom/voidstone in order to get one nirn But I dont know if that's true, it's just a number to put in mind. It's harder to get potent but if you're up for some grinding in Craglorn you'll get it eventually.
    Characters
    - Only-Drinks-With-Templars: Lvl 50 Argonian Magica Templar
    - Bialozar: Lvl 50 Khajitt Stamina Nightblade
    - Rez the Bald Sorceror: Lvl 50 Dark Elf Magica Sorceror
    - Gerard Snow: Lvl 50 Dark Elf Magica Dragonknight
    - Dorothea Black: Lvl 50 Imperial Stamina Templar
    - Demon Cleaver: Lvl 50 Orc Stamina Warden
    - Lord of BØnes: Lvl 50 Breton Magica Necromancer

PC/EU server. You'll find my characters hoping on and off on the plains of Cyrodil with the guild The Black.
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can u do upper Craglorn quests solo?
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • sbc.witch
    sbc.witch
    You can find both potent and fortified nirn all over Craglorn now.
    At Northwest around a Big Lake there's a farm rotation that you can find two stones every half hour. IMO there's a better chance with voidstone ore. It's boring but you can earn some money easily.
    If you are on PC NA message me in game and I can help you.
    Edited by sbc.witch on December 19, 2015 2:06PM
    VR16 Sorcerer
    In-game: @sbcwitch
    YouTube Channel
  • revonine
    revonine
    ✭✭✭✭
    Found one potent the second node I touched around Spellscar. Continued farming for a second since I need two. Haven't found one since, this was last week when I started. For the sake of my own sanity I only farm in one hour intervals though. RNG is RNG I guess.
    sbc.witch wrote: »
    IMO there's a better chance with voidstone ore.

Funny you mention that actually any potent I've ever found has been from blacksmith writs and random voidstone nodes.
    Edited by revonine on December 24, 2015 9:14PM
  • Zabernat
    Zabernat
    ✭✭✭
    Glad people actually find it still.. I farmed about 100 hides, voidstone, voidbloom and nightwood last night with no nirncrux drops
    Kahjit main in the Aldmeri Dominion.
    Templar of the Knightly Orders
    Herald of Justice to all of Tamriel
  • Ritzey01
    Ritzey01
    ✭✭✭
    Zabernat wrote: »
    Glad people actually find it still.. I farmed about 100 hides, voidstone, voidbloom and nightwood last night with no nirncrux drops

That seems to be my luck most times also, farm for hours with no luck.
  • maxjapank
    maxjapank
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zabernat wrote: »

For some reason, you tend to get a better chance from surveys or it seems that way. Park an alt in Craglorn and do crafting writs. After 2 weeks, go cash in on all of your surveys and grab anything along the way. I bet you end up with 2-4 potents and 2-4 fortified.
  • disintegr8
    disintegr8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Survey writs delivered to Craglorn provide easy access to nirncrux through survey maps.

I do Craglorn writs for 2 of my characters and only farm these survey maps and anything I see while travelling to their locations. Every few days I harvest the map locations and will get about 1 nirncrux for about every 5 or 6 surveys and maybe 30 minutes spent in Craglorn. Some days are better than others, I picked up 3 fortified from 1 map location last weekend and have picked up a fortified and potent from the one node before.

Doing this I have collected about 13 potent and about 30 fortified in a couple of months for minimal effort. It may not be the collection rate needed if you want to make money from it but I am getting them so a friend can craft nirnhoned items for me to research and learn. Almost as a byproduct I also refine the raw materials harvested and get crafting and gold improvement supplies.

Due to the small amount of time spent getting them I still have time to do quests, pledges and daily randoms - the fun stuff that earns XP for CP.
    Edited by disintegr8 on June 7, 2016 10:45PM
    Australian on PS4 NA server.
    Everyone's entitled to an opinion.
  • nk474
    nk474
    ✭✭
    Gotten nirn from a butterfly so should drop from welmas.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    nk474 wrote: »
    Gotten nirn from a butterfly so should drop from welmas.

Pic or other proof, or you're just :trollface:

There have been other claims like this; nirn from alchemy plants, etc. A closer look always showed a reporting error due to add-on or lag. For example, the butterfly claim could be due to lag when harvesting a voidbloom with a nirn, and a butterfly in the area that also got collected, but lag made it appear the nirn came from the latter.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Azurya
    Azurya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    picking Herbs also can grant you with Nirn, at least I get it that way as well.
  • MasterGohan
    MasterGohan
    ✭✭
    I farm Craglorn for at least an hour every day and I've never gotten a crux from insects or alchemy plants. The only odd thing I've gotten cruxes from is the level 1 Daggerbacks. But they drop Shadowhide which is a crafting mat so I guess it makes sense.
  • nk474
    nk474
    ✭✭
    Only seen it once, i think it is a extremely rare occurance. Probably around a year ago. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to collect butterflies. I auto loot so no pictures not that i record my eso play anyway.
  • Deheart
    Deheart
    ✭✭✭
    I was informed that anything you can loot in craiglorn has a possibility to give you a Nirn drop
    As a casual player I was satisfied that at one point I had a char max level and near max crafting with almost all motifs and I pretty much lost interest. Then ESO discovered DLC's and now my main is just a wanabe and I am happily pulled back into the game.
  • RwDestiny
    RwDestiny
    I have been farming Craglorn while soloing the area for the past few days...the only place that I have personally picked up Nirncrux (Potent and Fortified) is from Voidstone and Nightwood resource nodes...my speculation is that it would also be available with the raw Voidbloom since these three resource nodes represent the level 9 comportments for Blacksmithing, Woodworking, and the Clothing craft lines.

I have yet to pick up any Nirncrux from any other resource node...not from Alchemy, Enchanting, mob drops, nor chests). Not saying it's not possible but I have yet to pull any and all I hear is tales of it....like leprechauns and the tooth fairy.

If anybody can confirm that Nirncrux does drop from these, can you please post a video because I am a sceptic when it comes to truths on the internet?

D
    Server: XBox One-NA
    GT: RwDestiny
    Character: Thaleal
    Alliance: Aldmeri Dominion
    Race: Wood Elf
    Class: Stamina DPS Nightblade
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @RwDestiny

Nirn only drops from Equipment Crafting Material Nodes. So, Voidstone, Nightwood, Voidbloom and animals that drop Shadowhide. Period. There is no other truth to this. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are wrong.

No other nodes drop Nirncrux, never happened, never will. There were, or are, some addons that had some lag and it would look like it came from Alchemy nodes or whatever, but the Nirn came from an equipment crafting node.
    Edited by Nestor on July 15, 2016 3:54PM

• RwDestiny
    RwDestiny
    I thought as much...all the scuttlebutt on the forums was not making sense and not matching up with what I witnessed during game play...thanks for the clarification though....D
  • RwDestiny
    RwDestiny
    Thanks for the advice...spent the day farming in Upper Craglorn and ended up pulling 14 Fortified, 6 Potent, finished the fishing achievement, and pulled 6 perfect Roe....very productive day!

D
  • kenjiblaster25
    kenjiblaster25
    ✭✭✭
    @RwDestiny did you collect everything or focus?
    Kenjil

Never Behind Guild - PvE & PvP & Trade & Trials & Friendship & Great laughs
    Guild Motto - leave no one behind, stay on the crown, kill the greens
    Ebonheart Pact
  • RwDestiny
    RwDestiny
    I do farming runs in Upper Craglorn only and grab everything. I can't prove a negative but I know I have never found any Nirncrux in Lower Craglorn taken from ANY resource node....My experience has been that my best results have come from crafting writ rewards that have surveyHmaps in UC. I have only had one that did not yield at least one nirncrux...might just be luck but...

Hope this helps.

D
  • medusasfolly
    medusasfolly
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    @RwDestiny

Nirn only drops from Equipment Crafting Material Nodes. So, Voidstone, Nightwood, Voidbloom and animals that drop Shadowhide. Period. There is no other truth to this. If anyone tells you otherwise, they are wrong.

No other nodes drop Nirncrux, never happened, never will. There were, or are, some addons that had some lag and it would look like it came from Alchemy nodes or whatever, but the Nirn came from an equipment crafting node.

I have picked up nirn from clothier plants other than void, but ONLY when collecting from a survey. I'm assuming that all the survey nodes are considered void.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have picked up nirn from clothier plants other than void, but ONLY when collecting from a survey. I'm assuming that all the survey nodes are considered void.

There are not any other Clothing Material Nodes in Craglorn other than Void. Some survey locations do have regular crafting nodes interspersed with the Survey Nodes, but they still don't drop Nirn.