The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
· Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

This gap closer thing needs to go

leepalmer95
leepalmer95
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Who decided that every gap closer will force a character to stop for a second?

What purpose was this made for? It accomplishes nothing apart from make it hard for dk's/temp to get pull back. There no well timed dodge rolls anymore just 1 guy gap close you then take 5 more and won't be able to move.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Bashing & Slanderous Comments]
Edited by ZOS_MatM on December 15, 2015 3:00AM
PS4 EU DC

Current CP : 756+

I have every character level 50, both a magicka and stamina version.

RIP my effort to get 5x v16 characters...
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If it's already a pain in the ass for my streaking sorc, I can't imagine how much it sucks for you guys. I'm surprised this is still a problem even thought it gets talked about a lot.
    Options
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learn to block
    Options
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Learn to block

Either way i stop moving?
    PS4 EU DC

Options
  • Junkogen
    Junkogen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Templars and DKs have gap closers.

Instead of nerfing, how about you ask for fixes. How do you think your so-called "underpowered" class got that way. ZOS nerfs before skills get fixed. Then they fix some skills and then people want those nerfed. Also, I think some people have unrealistic expectations about PvP survival. If you get jumped by a group, you're probably not going to survive.
    Options
  • willymchilybily
    willymchilybily
    ✭✭✭✭
    Heard it is mechanics introduced that require you to stop for gap closer to make contact because otherwise the player being closed on doesn't know it's happening and the person gap closing doesn't reach where the target is but where they were. But I don't know how reliable the info is. Seemed logical at the time
    PSN - WarpPigeon - Guild: TheSyndicate - EU, Ebonheart Pact
    Dragon Knight [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Magicka] - 720 - Flawless Conqueror
    Templar [Magicka] - 720 - Stormproof
    Dragon Knight [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Night Blade [Stamina] - 720 - Stormproof
    Sorcerer [Stamina] - 720
    Options
  • Glory
    Glory
    Class Representative
    Gap closers and roots are the current cheese. Possibly my least favorite form of cheese (and I've lived through perma-bats, bash-bash-bash-bash-bash meta, permablock, elemental block-boom, and the caltrops negating all ground AoE eras if anyone remembers those days).

I'd really love to not be held in place as 3 nightblades ambush-spam me and one DK pressing his wrecking blow button ad nauseum.
    mDK will rise again.
    Rebuild Necromancer pet AI.

@Glorious since I have too many characters to list

Ádamant

Strongly against Faction Lock
    Options
  • Catblade
    Catblade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Agreed
    Options
  • leepalmer95
    leepalmer95
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Junkogen wrote: »

Instead of nerfing, how about you ask for fixes. How do you think your so-called "underpowered" class got that way. ZOS nerfs before skills get fixed. Then they fix some skills and then people want those nerfed. Also, I think some people have unrealistic expectations about PvP survival. If you get jumped by a group, you're probably not going to survive.

I'm asking them to get rid of the so called fix, i got to attempt a combo but my character astops responding because someone gap closed from 30m away?

It's like cc without any immunity.

PS4 EU DC

Options
  • whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO
    whiteshadow711jppreub18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not Agreed, L2 block

I get gap closed all the time I can deal with it..
    Signed, Kotaro Atani.PS5 NA
    VR16/ CP 160 Khajiit Nightblade of the Aldmeri Dominion, Guildmaster and Assassin of the Queen's Hand guild on NA PC. PvP Officer in the WOLF guild on NA PS5, and of course Master Thief. Currently 3120 CP out of 3600 CP on NA PS5. Currently 810 CP on NA PC (used for PTS testing purposes only). On PS5 I am also a Master Crafter, all traits done and learned, Jewelry crafting done. all Motifs learned on PS5 except for maybe two-three Motifs. Both Companions are Max level as are their Skills.Warrior, Lover, Thief.... Nightblade. Aldmeri Dominion For Life! For the Queen!! Go Dominion or go home ! "I have no hatred for the races of Man, but they are young. Like all children, they are driven by emotion. They lack the wisdom that comes with age. I would sooner place an Altmer infant on the Ruby Throne than surrender Tamriel to their capricious whims. The Altmer, the Bosmer and the Khajiit share the common traits of intelligence, patience and reason. We do not seek riches or plunder. Domination is not our goal, nor is the acclamation of power for its own sake. Today we make our stand. Today we take back the Ruby Throne, which is ours by ancient right and the blessings of the Divines. Stand with us." ―Your Queen Commands, Ayrenn Arana Aldmeri.(All 18 characters are AD only! This one is a AD Loyalist)Member of ESO Since January 29, 2014, started early Access 3/30/14 on PC, currently subbed on NA PS5 and on NA PC. Note- I only use PC for PTS testing purposes, the PS5 is my dedicated Game Platform.Note- for those that don't know how to say Kotaro Atani it's "Ko tar row Ah ta ni" (Ko with a Oh sound, tar which sounds like the sticky black tar stuff, row like rowing a boat, Ah with a AHHHH sound, Ta with a Tahhh sound, Neeee which sounds like knee)"The blowing sands of time wipe clean the footprints of the past...""Moonsugar may be the key to paradise, but it is through a false door...""A perfect society is always elsewhere..."- Unknown book of Khajiiti proverbs.
    Options
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your comment just illustrates that you aren't aware/haven't experienced this issue. Your opponent hits gap closer and you get silenced/stunned/rooted for a second regardless of cc immunity and with no cooldown. You can't do anything, not just move, you can't cast either. This thread isn't asking for a nerf but a fix for a broken mechanic related to gap closers.
    PC | EU
    Options
  • Kammakazi
    Kammakazi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't think they'll do anything about it any time soon.

You just will have to endure sprinting away, clenching your butt cheeks and hope that you don't see your character stop moving for that half second.

:)
    Options
  • Cathexis
    Cathexis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its funny - love it when I do it to others, hate when it happens to me.

Really though it should probably go - its just stupid when you get zerged that you have almost no chance.
    The Tomb of FPS Alteration Magic - Everything You Need to Know About FPS
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/520903/tomb-of-fps-alteration-magic-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fps
    Praise Malacath.
    Options
  • Essiaga
    Essiaga
    ✭✭✭✭
    Who decided that every gap closer will force a character to stop for a second?

What purpose was this made for? It accomplishes nothing apart from make it hard for dk's/temp to get pull back. There no well timed dodge rolls anymore just 1 guy gap close you then take 5 more and won't be able to move.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Bashing & Slanderous Comments]

I think its like an animation que for your character to take the hit rather then keep moving. Also if person flies at you like this IRL its probably going to stun you for a second.

Only one that bothers me is Ambush because there is no gap required so you end up with the same guy spamming and keeping you pretty much stun locked till CC immunity runs out. Then he fears you.
    Options
  • Xjcon
    Xjcon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clearly a L2 SPAMBUSH thread. If you can't beat em join em.
    Briza Do'urdenx V16 Dunmer DK
    Jcon V16 Orc DK
    Vierna Do'urdenx V16 Bosmer NB
    Jarlaxle Baenrex V16 Dunmer NB
    Options
  • Catblade
    Catblade
    ✭✭✭✭
    Spambush+Fear=GG
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Maybe stop trying to run away and stand and fight like a real soldier of the Alliance.
    Options
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not Agreed, L2 block

"Dealing with it" is not a sufficient solution for a poor game mechanic.

rip decibel
    Options
  • Preyfar
    Preyfar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Templars have Toppling/Explosive Charge, but... it doesn't work, so we only "kind of" have a gap closer. 60% of the time it works every time.

Options
  • kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    kendellking_chaosb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heard it is mechanics introduced that require you to stop for gap closer to make contact because otherwise the player being closed on doesn't know it's happening and the person gap closing doesn't reach where the target is but where they were. But I don't know how reliable the info is. Seemed logical at the time

This is true but a better fix would have been to just "extent" the range once you start to close the gap maybe at half the cost but something.

As a Nightblade from Early Beta I don't believe it should silence/stun people that effect was removed from the power.
    Rooting people is okay cause that's an effect of the power itself not a bug.
    Chaos Shadow-Scale: Shadow Archer
    Chaos Death-Scale: Shadow Knight
    Tanks-With-Sap-Essence: Dark Mage
    Dark Brotherhood Listener: Blade of Argonia
    Chaos Dragon-Scale: Draconic Shield Master
    Chaos Light-Scale: Marsh Paladin
    Chaos Lightning-Scale: Daedric Master
    Hurricane Chaos: Storm Archer
    Bask-In-My-Light: Warrior of The Light
    Forged-In-Dragon-Fire: Pyro Mage
    Guardian of The Hist: Light Mender
    Chaos of Black Marsh: Master of The Burning Sword
    Star of Chaos: Frost Blade Champion
    Chaos-Lightning-Tower: Lightning Shield Master

For the King of Argonia
    May Sithis hold back his Void
    Options
  • PBpsy
    PBpsy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, gap closers should be completely removed to get in line with the supposed ZOS combat mechanics "philosophy".
    Edited by PBpsy on December 16, 2015 6:21AM
    ESO forums achievements
    Proud fanboi
    Elitist jerk
    Troll
    Hater
    Fan of icontested(rainbow colors granted)
    Options
  • Necrelios
    Necrelios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Something like these might buy you a few seconds of time. The one on the left I take as soon as I see a NB, the one on the right is for all the other guys.

qwRYp7b.png

EDIT: Apparently this does not work in this case. Sorry, bad advice. Disregard.
    Edited by Necrelios on December 16, 2015 11:54AM
    Terms & Conditions ["We revoke permission to fictional legal constructs or private/public persons for selling of any private data, censorship, surveillance, personage or conversion as a trespass of law. We prohibit the practice of "procedural law" or corporate statues in place of divine law."]
    Options
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not Agreed, L2 block

Im just leaving this here how to deal with gap closers
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
    Options
  • ScooberSteve
    ScooberSteve
    ✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried blocking? Its so dam easy and cost you nothing until they hit you.
    Options
  • Sharee
    Sharee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gap closers have an animation which takes some time to complete. If gap closers do not stop the target from moving then it may be impossible to close the gap with a fast-moving target - by the time the gap closer animation finishes, the target will already be out of melee range from the spot where the attacker ends up being after the jump.
    Options
  • Troneon
    Troneon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Would also help if most of the skills were like...not broken..

Just an idea...

Edited by Troneon on December 16, 2015 8:45AM
    PC EU AD
    Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
    High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
    Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
    Options
  • TX12001rwb17_ESO
    TX12001rwb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Simple solution is to alter every gap closing move in the game, have it so they will still follow the player but not stun lock them so they can't move and instead have it so the only way to not get effected by the attack is to A. Block or B. Move out of the range of the position in where the enemy player used the ability.
    Options
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Not Agreed, L2 block

Are you serious right now? you know blocking doesn't stop the root/silence right? Please step foot into Cyrodiil before trying to argue on PvP issues.
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

Options
  • oibam
    oibam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another sorc, who lost godmode while blinking away and got spamed by gap closers...now he cries for nerf xDDDD
    Options
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    oibam wrote: »
    Another sorc, who lost godmode while blinking away and got spamed by gap closers...now he cries for nerf xDDDD

This gap closer crap is affecting everyone. not just sorcs.
    I play dk and nb and it affects both.
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

Options
  • Tower_Of_Shame
    Tower_Of_Shame
    ✭✭✭✭
    oibam wrote: »

The problem is people need to understand this is not crying for nerf this is crying for change this idiotic design of gap closers.

As @Etaniel said earlier in some other topic idk where but it doesnt matter, even if you have that whirling CC immunity under your feet if someone spams ambush on you then you are not immune to that mini stun and you still get locked out and you can't do anything about it period. And this is stupid let's be real... :D

It only seems like an nb QQ nerf cause ambush and lotus fan THE only gap closer which has no minimum range so they tend to spam thus your character becomes unresponsive and you dead.

Ofc if this nb is alone you just laugh at him :D and execute him in a matter of seconds, the problem start when small group has one of these guys or 3-4 nb spamming it on you :D

@Etaniel : Idk it is kinda useless to argue with them... :D most of these boys don't get the problem :D
    Options