Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

One Class To Rule Them All?

Breidr
Breidr
ESO is a great game and has given me many hours of enjoyment, and it will do so for a long tome to come I'm sure. I have barely scratched the surface of the main game, and I have DLC and PvP to look forward to after that. The more I learn about the game, however, effects how I play the game. [not a bad thing]

I dug into end game a little bit to see what I can expect after my quest is done. I can do the other two faction's content! Great, now I won't have two alts on a different faction!

This did present a little hiccup in my head though. I'm not a fan of repeating content, in MOST cases. This presented a little twist. There really isn't a NEED for alts on this game. I don't need to roll alliance and horde to do all the things. A welcome change. I really don't want to have to gather skyshards and lorebooks and do other things twice!

I don't know if I will stick to my new "One Child"" policy, but I did want to spark some discussion. If I only had ONE character slot, which class could make the best use of it in terms of variety. All classes can apparently do all roles, so I can't exactly narrow it down from there. If I had to pick one of my characters, I'm leaning on my Templar right now. He can do everything, and is the only class with a dedicated healing tree.

I lack a lot of knowledge, so I wanted to see what others had to say on the matter. This isn't about what is "optimal" or "best," but what can bring the most variety to a player that doesn't plan on leveling alts.
  • Molag_Crow
    Molag_Crow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I started as a Templar so I will stay as one too, for now. :smiley: you're right about the roles of being able to tank, heal and dps all together in a viable fashion. I don't mind gathering things again, but I definitely won't bother getting all lorebooks on my alts x_x though Skyshards aren't that bad, I guess... ugh, it does put me off though.
    --ϟ-- Crows_Descend - Templar - Ebonheart Pact [PS4]&[PC] [EU] --ϟ--
    YoutTube ESO Playlist
    The greatest prison that people live in, is the fear of what other people think. - David Icke
    Be your true, authentic self.

• AverageJo3Gam3r
    AverageJo3Gam3r
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd recommend at least one alt to do crafting on. Then you don't have to spend all those skill points in crafting skills.

But back to the question at hand. You *can* do everything on any class, but how easy it will be depends on the current patches at the time. Eg, mag DK is challenging to play in PvP right now but who knows if a future patch will change that? If you're only going to have one character, I recommend picking your favorite and sticking with it through the ups and downs. If you learn your class very well, you'll be able to have some success no matter what the meta is.

For me, I main a DK because my playgroup needed a tank.
  • revonine
    revonine
    ✭✭✭✭
    I started as a Templar so I will stay as one too, for now. :smiley: you're right about the roles of being able to tank, heal and dps all together in a viable fashion. I don't mind gathering things again, but I definitely won't bother getting all lorebooks on my alts x_x though Skyshards aren't that bad, I guess... ugh, it does put me off though.

I did the lorebooks on my Sorc too and to be honest it wasn't that bad. I can't imagine ever doing it again though. I do want to level a Templar now though....jesus.
  • Heindrich
    Heindrich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If u wanna be proficient at everything with one class, it has to be Templar. But as you can see from my signature, Templar is the only class I don't play ^^ (well I got her to lv35).

I recommend getting proficient with at least 2 classes so that you can hedge against any particularly disastrous nerfs on ur main character. For example Magicka DKs used to be op, now they are probably the weakest overall.
  • RAGUNAnoOne
    RAGUNAnoOne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NB has the most variety well magic does at least they can DPS heal and to some degree tank they just synergize so well with any role and armor style compared to other classes.
    Edited by RAGUNAnoOne on December 25, 2015 4:26AM
    PS4 NA
    Argonian Master Race

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Support Tail armor and tail ribbons: http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/236333/concept-tail-armor-for-beast-races#latest
    http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/246134/request-dyeable-tail-ribbons
  • puffy99
    puffy99
    ✭✭✭
    probably anything but a DK imo
    i have a v16 dk and v4 temp so far.
    temp a blast, dk OK.

Sorc probably next to try although i may stop at temp since you can do it all.