Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Hirelings question - if reached X level in crafting and you respect, what level gear can you get?

cFos
cFos
I've searched but not seen this question asked - My first character pursued crafting in multiple categories. Reached 30+ level in woodworking, and then I respected the stats. I didn't put anything in Woodworking, but am wondering if I put skill points into hireling, what sort of materials might I expect to get? Is it based on how far this character progressed? For example, if this character reached Rank VIII: Allows the use of Sanded Mahogany wood, but I did not put any skill points upon respect, would I still receive materials up to (including?) Rank VIII if I put skill points into Hireling? Or would all materials received from the hireling be based on Rank 1?
  • cFos
    cFos
    "re-spec'd" not "respect"
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What type of raw materials you get from your hireling is based on the points you have put into your crafting passives. For example, if you only have 1 point in the Woodworking materials passive, but are level 40 in the craft and a level 50 character with 3 points in the hireling passive, you will get 5 rough maple.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on December 9, 2015 6:42PM
  • cFos
    cFos
    Thanks - I think that answered my question. This character had put 7 points into the passive, then I went and reset my skills (without putting any skill points into the passive) as I started another character that would spend skill points in Woodworking.

Now, having a skill point or two to spend, I thought I'd put it into hireling for Woodworking, but if Maple would be the only materials (without any skill points in the passive), It doesn't seem worthwhile.

Thanks again.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cFos wrote: »

Now, having a skill point or two to spend, I thought I'd put it into hireling for Woodworking, but if Maple would be the only materials (without any skill points in the passive), It doesn't seem worthwhile.

Thanks again.

It kind of is useful to have a Hireling, particularly a L3 Hireling. Not for the two shipments a day*, but the vastly improved chance to get Purple and Gold Tempers.

I sell off the raw mats or refine them myself for the tempers and sell the finished stacks in the guild stores.

*Yes to get the most out of them you have to log in twice a day, 12 hours a part and that is an issue that has been discussed many times. I just log in once a day most days and call it good.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• cFos
    cFos
    Thanks, Nestor. I do have L3 Hirelings in provisions, blacksmithing, and clothing on this particular character.

I'm now running three characters and am trying to spread out the crafting chores - not part of any guilds. Just trying to understand what I would gain by putting skill points into a craft that the character is not pursuing. Sounds like nothing, so I'll spend the points elsewhere as my character that spends skill points into woodworking levels up this line.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    cFos wrote: »

Thanks again.

It kind of is useful to have a Hireling, particularly a L3 Hireling. Not for the two shipments a day*, but the vastly improved chance to get Purple and Gold Tempers.

I sell off the raw mats or refine them myself for the tempers and sell the finished stacks in the guild stores.

*Yes to get the most out of them you have to log in twice a day, 12 hours a part and that is an issue that has been discussed many times. I just log in once a day most days and call it good.

Yeah...I have 3/3 hirelings but only log in once a day, too. Too much of a pain to have to log in twice a day, 12 hours apart, and there's the fact that you can't log in exactly 12 hours after, but rather a few minutes or so after and then it just snowballs from there. The main reason I like to have 3/3 hirelings is the 5 raw materials, good chance at tempers, and pretty much getting mail everyday when I log in with my character.
  • SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    With the way the passive equates to material returned you can also tailor your hirelings to the materials you WANT returned.

I have 6 Alt-crafters and a main-crafter still and until now have spread them across materials to keep a steady supply for leveling their armor and weapons as well as offering lower level crafting to new players.

That can also be applied to what writs you want to do on each crafter, especially as I only have VR on my main crafter.