Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Woodworking

Krainor1974
Krainor1974
✭✭✭✭✭
Why is woodworking slower and harder than blacksmithing and clothing?

Best Answers

• Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are less items to deconstruct.
    Answer ✓
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

It levels the same as the other smithing crafts. Answer above is probably right....you are not deconstruction as many wood items. You want a speed boost? Find or buy higher level items to decon. Also slightly more ISP from higher quality items.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
    Answer ✓
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Say WHAT? Blacksmithing by far is the slowest of the three... I am in the process of making my new main character my crafter, and my Clothing and Woodworking are already at 45 my Blacksmithing is 21. Granted, I'm focusing on Woodworking and Clothing being a Magicka Sorc, but even with my original crafter making weapons/armor for my Stamina characters, my Blacksmithing is still only 42 and he's been crafting for months.

How I got my Clothing and Woodworking up so quickly... either buying Intricate items from the Guild Traders or just buying as many cheap, high level items as possible and deconstructing them. Yesterday I realized I could be making my own high level items, and started using my crafter to craft items with the cheapest high-level materials I could find. I added them to the bank and then went to my main and began deconstructing... took a lot of items, but eventually hit 45- which was my goal as it unlocks the highest passive for faster research. Blacksmithing I'm not going to worry about unless I ever decide to go back to one of my Stamina characters.
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ADarklore wrote: »

Say WHAT? Blacksmithing by far is the slowest of the three... I am in the process of making my new main character my crafter, and my Clothing and Woodworking are already at 45 my Blacksmithing is 21. Granted, I'm focusing on Woodworking and Clothing being a Magicka Sorc, but even with my original crafter making weapons/armor for my Stamina characters, my Blacksmithing is still only 42 and he's been crafting for months.

How I got my Clothing and Woodworking up so quickly... either buying Intricate items from the Guild Traders or just buying as many cheap, high level items as possible and deconstructing them. Yesterday I realized I could be making my own high level items, and started using my crafter to craft items with the cheapest high-level materials I could find. I added them to the bank and then went to my main and began deconstructing... took a lot of items, but eventually hit 45- which was my goal as it unlocks the highest passive for faster research. Blacksmithing I'm not going to worry about unless I ever decide to go back to one of my Stamina characters.

If you have the skill points spare, get to 50 and max out your skill line. Hirelings will begin to send you more valuable tokens of affection than before(Rubedo and Ancestor silk go for between 200-400 a pop).
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    If you have the skill points spare, get to 50 and max out your skill line. Hirelings will begin to send you more valuable tokens of affection than before(Rubedo and Ancestor silk go for between 200-400 a pop).

And therein lies the problem, no SPs to spare being only VR2 and I've even respec'd and removed points from combat skills I rarely or will never use. With SPs in Clothing, Woodworking and Blacksmithing and even then, no points for passives other than Tailoring, Woodworking, Metalworking, material extraction, and research time. I may end up having to respec and remove SPs from Blacksmithing to put them into Clothing and Woodworking until I can gain more SPs to add back to Blacksmithing.
    Edited by ADarklore on December 7, 2015 4:12PM
    CP: 1965 ** ESO+ Gold Road ** ~~ Stamina Arcanist ~~ Magicka Warden ~~ Magicka Templar ~~ ***** Strictly a solo PvE quester *****
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    If you're getting really impatient you could look in the guild stores for intricate items for woodworking.
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Danksta wrote: »
    If you're getting really impatient you could look in the guild stores for intricate items for woodworking.

As long as you have the cash... and honestly, Woodworking intricate items are fairly rare and almost always quite expensive... we're talking 500 gold or more PER item and it takes several of them just to increase one level. Hence the reason I used my crafter to make high level Bows and used them to level Woodworking. Still, it took a few hundred of those Bows just to get to level 45.
    Edited by ADarklore on December 7, 2015 4:24PM
  • Jaeysa
    Jaeysa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ADarklore - Best bet would be to find another person levelling, because you get more inspiration from deconning someone else's items than your own.
    PC/NA: Primarily Daggerfall Covenant.

Lennie: Breton Sorceror. 9-trait crafter on everything, purveyor of useless frippery.
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jaeysa wrote: »
    @ADarklore - Best bet would be to find another person levelling, because you get more inspiration from deconning someone else's items than your own.

That only applies if you are crafting and deconning with the SAME character... but you can have another crafting character on your account craft your materials and then decon them with the character you are trying to level.

My current crafter is maxed in both Woodworking and Clothing and level 41 Blacksmithing... however, he is only level 22 and I have absolutely no desire to ever play this character again- which means he'll stay level 22 forever and not able to take advantage of higher level zones. So I'm working on turning my new main character (currently VR2) into my crafter... so I'm using my level 22 character to craft high level gear for my VR2 character to deconstruct in order to level crafting skills. Hope that helps explain my situation a bit more. Like I said, my Woodworking and Clothing are both already at level 45 on my VR2, so I know a bit about what I'm talking about when it comes to leveling these crafts. ;)
    Edited by ADarklore on December 7, 2015 5:55PM
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's similar to me, my main is vet 7 n I took em n two other alts through orsinium n that got a lot research done, my vet 10 also joins in sending all loot to my main who does wood, blacksmithing n clothing but wood is only that hasn't hit 50 yet
    Edited by Krainor1974 on December 7, 2015 7:09PM
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Um...based on your comment, it looks like it was only slower for you because you weren't focusing on it. You purchased intricate items for clothing and woodworking, so right there, they're gonna level up faster. If you focus on all of them the same amount, they'll level up pretty much the same.

Woodworking does require some extra effort in finding gear, since there is less gear overall to craft, so less gear to find/break down and less gear to research, so less inspiration overall from researching gear.

Since I have tons of extra green mats lying around, I just go to the Hollow City and take all the 0 value gear that's lying around. I then upgrade them to green (with 3/3 in tempering, it doesn't take much), and then put them in my bank for my alts. Since I'm looting Tier 9 gear, they get a decent amount of inspiration, and I'm not using any mats other than green improvement mats, which seem to just pile up in my bank from deconning/refining and they don't really sell in the guild stores.
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    You may want to do some woodworking writs on your crafting alts, they give decent inspiration and often reward intricate items for decon.
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • ADarklore
    ADarklore
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »

Say WHAT? Blacksmithing by far is the slowest of the three...

Um...based on your comment, it looks like it was only slower for you because you weren't focusing on it. You purchased intricate items for clothing and woodworking, so right there, they're gonna level up faster. If you focus on all of them the same amount, they'll level up pretty much the same.

Woodworking does require some extra effort in finding gear, since there is less gear overall to craft, so less gear to find/break down and less gear to research, so less inspiration overall from researching gear.

Since I have tons of extra green mats lying around, I just go to the Hollow City and take all the 0 value gear that's lying around. I then upgrade them to green (with 3/3 in tempering, it doesn't take much), and then put them in my bank for my alts. Since I'm looting Tier 9 gear, they get a decent amount of inspiration, and I'm not using any mats other than green improvement mats, which seem to just pile up in my bank from deconning/refining and they don't really sell in the guild stores.

True enough... Blacksmithing usually isn't my focus since I rarely run Heavy armor although I do run DW on my Stamina Sorcs. However, this time with my new crafter, I've already reached level 50 on Clothing and Woodworking by buying the highest available mats and crafting a lot of gloves and bows with my original crafting character. I've gotten Blacksmithing to 40 by doing the same, but I really just started focusing on it last night. Although, now that I'm at 40, I'm probably not going to worry about it since my highest characters is only VR4... so I got a long way to go before I need to craft VR15-16 gear. ;)

UPDATE:

Just wanted to add... tonight I bought a few hundred Voidstone Ingots and crafted a couple hundred daggers with my original crafter and then deconstructed them with my new crafting character... managed to reach level 50 on my Blacksmithing so now all three (Clothing, Woodworking and Blacksmithing) are maxed. B)
    Edited by ADarklore on December 11, 2015 2:52AM