The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Axe and why it really failed

Rayste
Rayste
✭✭✭
Sewer PvP is actually quite fun and brings much needed small scale. For numerous reasons Axe will likely be one side dominant which takes this away. If we stop and think about it, why was there such an uproar about gated campaigns? I think they made a great decision to only gate one campaign.

Having said that, it is my opinion that Axe should be shut down in a further consolidation effort. Thoughts? @ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_BrianWheeler
Edited by Rayste on December 4, 2015 10:51PM
The Teach - AD Templar
  • skillastat
    skillastat
    ✭✭✭✭
    Axe should remain.

But there should be mechanics like :
    • If you disconnect in Imperial City and while you are gone your alliance loose the access, you are teleported to the main gate in Cyrodiil when you reconnect.
    • If you die in the Sewers when your alliance has lost the access, you are teleported to the main gate in Cyrodiil if you aren't rezzed (using respawn option)
    • However you would be able to respawn in the districts and fight as usual.

Those mechanics could be interesting actually.
    (PC NA)
    -Saulo Stamina Sorcerer
    -skillastat Stamina Nightblade
    -a blade spirit Stamina Templar
    -Ultima Online I Magicka Dragonknight
    -'Solo DC* Stamina Sorcerer
    -'Ultima Online Stamina Dragonknight
    -Nerd Dk Tank Dragonknight
    -Solochi Magicka Sorcerer
    -Solo Lucci Magicka Nightblade
    -Sølomon Magicka Warden

*All characters are EP, except for one DC.

French Canadian!
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of those changes uprooted as failure due to the following:

1) one campaign set with this change (axe) while rest of campaigns followed "always open" rule.

2) player base spread out across all servers with Azura set on heavy population.

It could have been a great mechanic but honestly it should have been on all campaigns or none.
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • kevlarto_ESO
    kevlarto_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On NA PC take a look at the pop there are zero DC homed on the Axe and less than less than a hundred total between AD and EP
  • Takllin
    Takllin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It also failed because as soon as the campaign started, EP flipped it entirely red and took all the scrolls.

Sorry, but I'm not going to home a campaign where before it has even started to gain traction, one faction is going to resort to that bs. I know there are many others who felt the same way.

I also call bs on the excuse that if they didn't do it, others would have. Be above that, help foster a healthy PvP campaign and don't resort to that.
    Edited by Takllin on December 10, 2015 3:46PM
    Jadokis - AD Redguard DK v16 AR 18
    Jàsènn - AD Orc Templar 47 AR 10
    Jessèn - AD Dunmer DK v16 AR 9 - Former Empress of Blackwater Blade

Tekllin - AD Altmer Sorcerer v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Tekklin - AD Bosmer Nightblade v16 AR 12 (Ret.)
    Jasenn - DC Imperial Templar v16 AR 18 (Ret.)
    Jasènn - DC Orc Sorcerer v16 AR 15 (Ret.)
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with Axe was it was the ONLY gated campaign and it was a new/dead campaign.

Why would anyone go and fight on a campaign for access when thee are already others entirely open to you? There wasn't a population active enough to test these because everyone is so spread out across all of the buff/farm campaigns. The only campaign which matters for PvP content is Azura's Star.

People can say "oh x campaign has PvP" but this isn't a 24/7 PvP like AS offers and unless the populations are pushed together enough that all campaigns are 3 bars or locked at peak times then there won't be viable alternatives and worthy testing of gated campaigns.

/endrant
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • RDMyers65b14_ESO
    RDMyers65b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Takllin wrote: »
    It also failed because as soon as the campaign started, EP flipped it entirely red and took all the scrolls.

Sorry, but I'm not going to home a campaign where before it has even started to gain traction, one faction is going to resort to that bs. I know there are many others who felt the same way.

I also call bs on the excuse that if they didn't do it, others would have. Be above that, help foster a healthy PvP campaign and don't resort to that.

THIS!

I had homed on Axe with one alt as soon as I finished the update. The EP were already taking Warden and Rayles. I logged out and I have never logged that alt again for PVP.
  • zyk
    zyk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IC and Cyrodiil are so disparate, they should be decoupled. Do both the fans of Alliance War and IC gameplay a favor and give IC its own servers. Make it accessible without pointlessly traveling through Cyrodiil.

A decoupled IC will be improved via a condensed population looking for that kind of gameplay, and a decoupled Cyrodiil will be improved because it will have less potential for population imbalances.

The concept of gated content only makes sense if the content is actually exclusive. It's not. Nor would this playerbase ever allow it to be.
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What if the winning faction gets access only if they leave enemy triangle keeps alone. That might be positive change since whoeve wants to flips the map can't have both on the same time - all map + access to IC farming.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • azoriangaming
    azoriangaming
    ✭✭✭✭
    too many open campaigns on EU sadly and everyone flocks to 1 campaign for non-stop pvp, other campaigns you've got a zerg from 1 faction using it as a ic buff campaign

#closesomeeucampaigns
  • Deandril
    Deandril
    ✭✭✭
    What is the point of gating a PVP enabled area in the 1st place? If a fight was necessary to unlock it the people only interested in farming uninterrupted would passively wait until someone else unlocked it. I'm starting to believe IC itself needed actual PVP objectives. Gating not only locks PVE farmers out but also PVPers and it was supposed to be a PVP dlc.
  • Rayste
    Rayste
    ✭✭✭
    Deandril wrote: »
    What is the point of gating a PVP enabled area in the 1st place? If a fight was necessary to unlock it the people only interested in farming uninterrupted would passively wait until someone else unlocked it. I'm starting to believe IC itself needed actual PVP objectives. Gating not only locks PVE farmers out but also PVPers and it was supposed to be a PVP dlc.

Tend to agree. It was initially thought of as a Darkness Falls from Daoc type zone. That didn't exactly work ..... not sure why but something feels different.
    The Teach - AD Templar
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As a DC player, I don't really care what they do to Axe. It's a non issue for me. Red and yellow can fight over access if they want I suppose. I really was under the impression that Zos didn't like the idea of buff campaigns. I guess I was wrong.
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Minno wrote: »

1) one campaign set with this change (axe) while rest of campaigns followed "always open" rule.

2) player base spread out across all servers with Azura set on heavy population.

It could have been a great mechanic but honestly it should have been on all campaigns or none.

Not really. i mean IC is pretty much dead i only go there on rare occasions. people wanted gated access because everyone was in IC when it was first released and very few people where topside but that phase is now behind us Gated access at this point would do more harm than good for the content.
    Edited by Lucky28 on December 21, 2015 7:33PM
    Invictus
  • Rayste
    Rayste
    ✭✭✭
    Lucky28 wrote: »

Not really. i mean IC is pretty much dead i only go there on rare occasions. people wanted gated access because everyone was in IC when it was first released and very few people where topside but that phase is now behind us Gated access at this point would do more harm than good for the content.

IC is actually making a comeback the past few days. I believe this is because of the center fix. Go try it sometime, there is a lot of action down there now.
    The Teach - AD Templar
  • Lucky28
    Lucky28
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rayste wrote: »
    Lucky28 wrote: »

IC is actually making a comeback the past few days. I believe this is because of the center fix. Go try it sometime, there is a lot of action down there now.

Where, because on Azura's it's still dead as ever. i ask because i still need a couple things from Molag Bal.
    Edited by Lucky28 on December 22, 2015 6:01AM
    Invictus
  • Suru
    Suru
    ✭✭✭✭
    skillastat wrote: »
    Axe should remain.

But there should be mechanics like :
    • If you disconnect in Imperial City and while you are gone your alliance loose the access, you are teleported to the main gate in Cyrodiil when you reconnect.
    • If you die in the Sewers when your alliance has lost the access, you are teleported to the main gate in Cyrodiil if you aren't rezzed (using respawn option)
    • However you would be able to respawn in the districts and fight as usual.

Those mechanics could be interesting actually.

This would completely make it a safe haven for the faction in control.

Its like the biggest penalty for dieing. Die and PvDoor multiple keeps. I'm all for immersion but this a game. There are only a handful of people from the other faction in the sewers from the side not in control.

Suru
  • CaptainObvious
    CaptainObvious
    ✭✭✭✭

The gate on the campaign was designed to push more people back into Cyrodiil proper and out of IC. At the time, there was a lot of whining that campaigns were pop locked with everyone in IC.

So that was why Thornblade was converted to Axe. Convert the popular PvP campaign to what the vocal PvPers on the forums wanted. In theory, the Thornblade groups would move to Axe and IC would have to be earned. However, having is not the same as wanting and that development time was a massive waste of effort.
    Due to a typo in the system, the area was accosted by the Daedric Prince Moar Lag Brawls.
  • SmalltalkJava
    SmalltalkJava
    ✭✭✭
    People just need to go there and take the keeps from AD. They own that place. From the EP perspective we need a good guild to man up and take leadership of Axe. It has potential. right now its just an AD farm for telvar stones and XP grinders