Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is ancestor silk hat needed for writs?

HebrewHatchet
HebrewHatchet
✭✭✭
I accidentally made an ancestor silk hat today before making the rubedo leather helmet I needed for my writ. Will any future writ ask for an ancestor silk hat, or should I just deconstruct it and call it a loss?
[PS4 NA]
PSN: HebrewHatchet

Best Answers

• Sharmony
    Sharmony
    ✭✭✭
    Jayne_Doe wrote: »
    If I remember correctly, the clothing writs are as follows:

2 robes, 2 breeches, 1 epaulet
    2 shoes, 2 hats, 2 sashes
    2 helmets, 2 arm cops, 2 bracers

So, I do believe that you will be asked for a hat at some point.

Writs are 1 Ancestor's Robe, 1 Void Breeches, 1 Void Epaulets
    1 Void Shoe, 1 Ancestor's Hat, 1 Void Sash
    1 Rubedo Helment, 1 Shadowhide Arm cops, 1 Shadowhide Bracers

HOWEVER,

as I said previously...
    Sharmony wrote: »
    It will, but you will need to make one when completing the quest as writs only accept the act of you making items as opposed to having them crafted in your inventory, unless somethings changed since the Wrothgar DLC patch that I am unaware of.

@Wjleppard - EU - Sharmony Youtube
    Holyfire - V16 Stamina Templar | Auriels Bow - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmony - V16 Magicka Templar | Flaming Rose - V16 Magicka Dragonknight | Rejuvenation - V16 Magicka Nightblade | Dora The (Explorer Title) - V16 Magicka Sorcerer | Critjiit - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Just Hold Block - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Stormburst - V16 Stamina Sorcerer | Ashenbourne - V16 Magicka Templar | Swims-At-Speed - V16 Magicka Templar | Sharmonknee - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmoney - V16 Magicka Warden
    Guild Affiliations: Hodor, Travelling Merchant, Aetherius Trade, Golden Goose.
    Previous Affiliations: GM of Well-Fitted, Almost Heroes, Kill All, Don't Die, Exile, Sigma Draconis, Legio Mortum
    Answer ✓
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    @Jayne_Doe

Thanks for the response :), but that doesn't look right. Especially on the second and third line. I don't think any writ asks for 2 ancestor silk items. Can you double check to make sure you wrote down what you recall please?

Sorry! I was posting for Tier 9 writs and below. Sorry for the confusion!
    Answer ✓
  • Bnec
    Bnec
    ✭✭
    yes ancestor silk hat is part of a writ
    Answer ✓
  • Sharmony
    Sharmony
    ✭✭✭
    It will, but you will need to make one when completing the quest as writs only accept the act of you making items as opposed to having them crafted in your inventory, unless somethings changed since the Wrothgar DLC patch that I am unaware of.
    Holyfire - V16 Stamina Templar | Auriels Bow - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmony - V16 Magicka Templar | Flaming Rose - V16 Magicka Dragonknight | Rejuvenation - V16 Magicka Nightblade | Dora The (Explorer Title) - V16 Magicka Sorcerer | Critjiit - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Just Hold Block - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Stormburst - V16 Stamina Sorcerer | Ashenbourne - V16 Magicka Templar | Swims-At-Speed - V16 Magicka Templar | Sharmonknee - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmoney - V16 Magicka Warden
    Previous Affiliations: GM of Well-Fitted, Almost Heroes, Kill All, Don't Die, Exile, Sigma Draconis, Legio Mortum
  • Turelus
    Turelus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't true for the food and potions though. As I keep stacks of those and insta-complete the quests.
    @Turelus - EU PC Megaserver
    "Don't count on others for help. In the end each of us is in this alone. The survivors are those who know how to look out for themselves."
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    I know I have crafted voidsteel items in advance and they worked for future writs, but my question really is if any writ requires an ancestor silk hat.
    [PS4 NA]
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hang on to it for a while. Your only going to get one Silk back if you do decon it.

I think I got a Hat once for a writ, but I have pretty much stopped doing writs so I am speaking from the experience of having done 3 of them.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Hang on to it for a while. Your only going to get one Silk back if you do decon it.

I thought it was only mob drops that give 1 mat per decon? Don't player-crafted items give you back a bunch? Still less than you put in, but not one. And the items you get from writs (ya know, intricate Rubedite Girdle or whatever) give back more than 1 mat, too, I think.

But I don't feel like wasting a bunch of Ancestor Silk just to find out I am mistaken! :-)

• Sharmony
    Sharmony
    ✭✭✭
    Turelus wrote: »

This isn't true for the food and potions though. As I keep stacks of those and insta-complete the quests.

Yep, just was answering the question though :smile:
  • Shader_Shibes
    Shader_Shibes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »

I thought it was only mob drops that give 1 mat per decon? Don't player-crafted items give you back a bunch? Still less than you put in, but not one. And the items you get from writs (ya know, intricate Rubedite Girdle or whatever) give back more than 1 mat, too, I think.

But I don't feel like wasting a bunch of Ancestor Silk just to find out I am mistaken! :-)

You are correct, crafted pieces give you back more than one, but still no where near the 130-140(if v16) you used making it >.<

• Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You are correct, crafted pieces give you back more than one, but still no where near the 130-140(if v16) you used making it >.<

I had deconned something I made I got one or two pieces back, it was a VR15 piece.

I wonder how many you get back when you decon a VR16 piece? Anyone want to send me 120 Ancestor Silk so I can find out?

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If I remember correctly, the clothing writs are as follows:

2 robes, 2 breeches, 1 epaulet
    2 shoes, 2 hats, 2 sashes
    2 helmets, 2 arm cops, 2 bracers

So, I do believe that you will be asked for a hat at some point.
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    @Jayne_Doe

Thanks for the response :), but that doesn't look right. Especially on the second and third line. I don't think any writ asks for 2 ancestor silk items. Can you double check to make sure you wrote down what you recall please?
    [PS4 NA]
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    as I said previously...

Is that indeed the case? I'm not trolling, but genuinely asking. Did you at some point have gear that you crafted in your inventory but the writ you just picked up wouldn't accept it?

This is not the case for consumables, even enchanting, as I had accidentally made the wrong glyph for a writ, but kept it in my inventory until the next time the writ that needed that glyph came around. And, as others have mentioned, potions and food/drinks can be made beforehand.

It may indeed be the case for equipment writs, and I'm not contesting you, just wanting to know if you had confirmed this through first-hand experience. Thanks!

EDIT: sorry, something weird happened with the quotes.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on December 1, 2015 9:25PM
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    I remember doing tier 9 writs and accidentally making an extra voidsteel greatsword. After turning in the writ, I kept the extra greatsword in my bank until the next time that particular writ came around. When I withdrew it from my bank, the new writ quest updated. In my experience, previously crafted items do count toward new writs.
    [PS4 NA]
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I remember doing tier 9 writs and accidentally making an extra voidsteel greatsword. After turning in the writ, I kept the extra greatsword in my bank until the next time that particular writ came around. When I withdrew it from my bank, the new writ quest updated. In my experience, previously crafted items do count toward new writs.

Thanks, that's good to know!
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I paid attention today after finishing my writs and the intricate/ornate VR15 items I got from the writ reward containers gave back like 4/5/6 mats when I deconstructed them. I don't think I have ever deconstructed a player crafted VR16 and writs never give VR16 decon rewards, so I don't know if they would likewise give back 4/5/6 or if it is a percentage thing and a VR16 would give back 40/50/60.

Are EU characters copied to PTS right now? An EU player should go on PTS and decon some things you would never decon on the live server, just to get some accurate numbers.

I think the Blacksmith/Woodworking writs will break even or come out ahead in the long run. Still skeptical of Clothier writs. With light armor/magicka seeming to be the top builds for VMSA (and really everything except pure group PvE tanking), Ancestor Silk is in high demand. Seems like selling 15 Ancestor Silk at a guild store every day will be better ROI than doing Clothier writ every day.
  • Commish
    Commish
    ✭✭✭
    I know when I do Provisioning Writs that I can use previous inventory which occurs all the time since I make four each time I make something. I use to sell them off at a loss now I keep them and only have to actually create something new every fifth time.
    I can't say that is works for the other writs, but given the costs and number of materials needed I would say it's worth holding on to for a few days to find out.
  • HebrewHatchet
    HebrewHatchet
    ✭✭✭
    Confirmed it today. That hat I mad a few days ago was used in a writ that I picked up today. It does work and there is a writ that requires an ancestor silk hat.
    [PS4 NA]