The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Distributing Research Between Characters

TwoBlades
TwoBlades
It's only recently that I've learned to optimize researching items for the special crafting areas. But I've got some items that I don't use for most of my characters, i.e. light armor and restoration staves. It's piling up in my bank but I don't want to just sell them. I've also used my other characters to craft items for characters of a lesser level.

Do some players just create characters to research items for them and deposit them in the bank? The only problem I see there is crafting an item at the proper level, which requires the crafter to be match the receiver.
  • stewart.leslie76b16_ESO
    I'm sensing an underlying issue here is bank space, and by having alts research an item, they can later craft it once you main crafter is in a position to research the trait which frees up bank space in the mean time?

I've not done it like that to be honest, I grit my teeth and save many items for researching and brought items though guild vendors when I required something I didn't get. However, what I've done in my guild is make lvl 1 items of every trait available in the guild bank (barring nirn items) so my guildies can take it out when they require it. My advice, don't worry too much about it if you are in a guild that helps you out.
    I, as a loyal member of the Foamy Cult, do solemnly swear to live a logical life free of stupidity, ignorance and all round jack assery. I shall do my best to enlighten those in need of Squirrelly Wisdom in hope of one day ridding the world of human idiocy. This I swear.
  • TwoBlades
    TwoBlades
    It's not really about bank space but what to do with items my characters don't need to research. So far I don't have a mage specific character who needs to research all those staves and light armor items. I've been thinking about it for a while. But I don't know if I want to spend time building up another character.
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my experience, it pays off in the end if you focus on one "equipment" master crafter than dividing them out (trait or profession). If you have enough SP, you could learn all on one character but inventory management will be an issue.

By combining all of the equipment stuff on one character, you will
    • save a lot of coin on acquiring all the motifs.
    • just need to send one crafter to a special crafting area to make all the gear at one time
    • crafting sets require a certain number of traits on each item to be crafted, if items traits are split, more trips

With the recent addition of special sets, it's more challenging to be a master crafter. If your main crafter doesn't do dungeons, it will be difficult to obtain mercenary style material as it is bound. However, if you have another character that does, you could obtain them that was. I hear the merc traits can be placed in your bank and moved around. So, with an investment of additional merc motifs you could increase your chances of finding the material for your crafter.
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • TheNephilimCrow
    TheNephilimCrow
    ✭✭✭
    BowD wrote: »
    From my experience, it pays off in the end if you focus on one "equipment" master crafter than dividing them out (trait or profession). If you have enough SP, you could learn all on one character but inventory management will be an issue.

By combining all of the equipment stuff on one character, you will
    • save a lot of coin on acquiring all the motifs.
    • just need to send one crafter to a special crafting area to make all the gear at one time
    • crafting sets require a certain number of traits on each item to be crafted, if items traits are split, more trips

With the recent addition of special sets, it's more challenging to be a master crafter. If your main crafter doesn't do dungeons, it will be difficult to obtain mercenary style material as it is bound. However, if you have another character that does, you could obtain them that was. I hear the merc traits can be placed in your bank and moved around. So, with an investment of additional merc motifs you could increase your chances of finding the material for your crafter.

You have done your homework, I'll give you that.

However, have one single character as a Master Crafter is really beneficial. In the long run, having one character tied into doing nothing but crafting frees up skills points for any other character you have and gives you more freedom to do some pretty cool builds.

Allot of what you said is really true and pretty accurate, but no problem is without its fixes.

Inventory Management: You can create a guild and invite 10 friends so you can open up the bank for 500 inventory slots on top how many spots you already have on character and in the bank.

Dungeon: Since most people do MC's to help free up SP's for other characters, they can simply run the dungeons on other characters and get those motifs and rare items.

The only real issue I see MC's facing is farming for Vet 9-16 mats, since those mats are in those areas. However, if someone has Wrothgar they can simply farm that board since it all scales to crafting level.
    Edited by TheNephilimCrow on November 29, 2015 2:52PM
    PSN, Youtube & Twitch: TheNephilimCrow
    [NA] ESO EP Guild (GM): The Order of Crows (PvE) - 300+ Members (Discontinued)
    [NA] ESO AD Guild (GM): The Blades of Ayrenn (PvP) - 45 Members (Actively Recruiting)

|:Veteran Rank:|
    VR16 - AD Breton - S&S/Bow Werewolf Stamina Nightblade - Title "Savage Shadow"
    VR 1 - AD Altmer - DW/Resto Magicka Sorcerer - Title "Spellsword"

|:Non-Veteran:|
    LVL 45 - DC Bosmer - Jack of Trades (Master Provisioning, Blacksmithing, etc.)
    Lvl 22 - AD Breton - Templar - Hybrid Build - PvE - Title "The Holy Knight"
    LVL 21 - AD Imperial - Dragonknight - Tank Build (In Progress)- Title "The Copper Knight"
    Lvl 13 - AD Khajit - DW Magicka Nightblade - Title "Mystical Thief"

• stewart.leslie76b16_ESO
    Personally TwoBlades, I would research them traits just because you can, Wood working will be the first to complete to get all 9 traits and even though you have no intention of creating another character now, there's nothing in the way to stop your character using a restoration staff for example. Also, you will get a bit of inspiration for researching the trait which helps increase your crafting level.

You also don't know what the future may bring for you, so play it safe and not be sorry. The research slot is available, better to use it then let it go to waste.
    I, as a loyal member of the Foamy Cult, do solemnly swear to live a logical life free of stupidity, ignorance and all round jack assery. I shall do my best to enlighten those in need of Squirrelly Wisdom in hope of one day ridding the world of human idiocy. This I swear.
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    While all my alts have all crafting skills maxed out (for the purpose of collecting v15 matts, hireling mail and writs) I only have research done on my equipment crafting alt (9/9 on all) This saves me the headache of having to switch between alts to craft different skills, and also means I have to only have 1 alt learn all the different racial styles. As far as keeping your bank inventory clear, in most cases (nirnhoned being an exception) gear for research can be acquired cheaply from other crafters and if you are in a good gear often for free. Another bit of advice make your equipment crafter an Imperial (if you have that option) so you don't have spend the coin to buy an imp motif, with the additional benefit of being able to sell all the imp motifs that you find.
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • acw37162
    acw37162
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Through trial and error I've found its far more effienect to have one character as a crafter.

You can caut down on research times in aggregate by spreading them but you create a huge set of problems to deal with later.l and even problems you can't foresee.

The most basic of witch is just switching between charachters to crafts different things. The amount of skill points required to max out crafting on multiple toons.

Then there are the neat little unforeseen problems like the neat little Merceanry Motif pickle. Where you crafting character can learn the motif but if you don't run dungeons with your crafter your not going to be picking up very many laurels.

I separated metal working, clothing, and wood working. Then on a seperate toon I have enchanting, potions, and provisioning just to break up the skill point requirements and even just that breakdown is a pain in the arse.

Being self sufficient in this game is in fact very difficult, alas it is an MMO but I hate relaying on other people or having my hand out constantly.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    TwoBlades wrote: »
    It's only recently that I've learned to optimize researching items for the special crafting areas. But I've got some items that I don't use for most of my characters, i.e. light armor and restoration staves. It's piling up in my bank but I don't want to just sell them. I've also used my other characters to craft items for characters of a lesser level.

As others have said, having a single crafter character -- whether that's your main or a new alt or a retired character -- can really help in the long run. Decon stuff you don't want to save and already know the trait on. Once one character knows a trait, it can make a low level research item to pass to another character that wants to research it.

You can create a mule to hold stuff you will want to research someday.
    The only problem I see there is crafting an item at the proper level, which requires the crafter to be match the receiver.

The crafter doesn't have to match the receiver, they only have to have the requisite skill. A master crafter can create gear at any lower level. Having that many different materials on hand can be a strain on bank space for sure!

• gbsteve
    gbsteve
    ✭✭
    However, have one single character as a Master Crafter is really beneficial. In the long run, having one character tied into doing nothing but crafting frees up skills points for any other character you have and gives you more freedom to do some pretty cool builds.

I don't see why it's so hard for people to understand this. Just create a dungeon crawler/crafter/CP collector on the first build and then run straight stick role (DPS, tank, healer) characters on the rest. This is what I've done and I don't see the downfall here.
    VR3 - Stamblade
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    TwoBlades wrote: »
    The only problem I see there is crafting an item at the proper level, which requires the crafter to be match the receiver.

It does not matter the level of the item if you are researching. An L1 is just as researchable as a VR16 piece.

Going back to your original question, once the Guild Kiosks came to the game, I stopped storing researchables, unless they were Nirn I bought cheap or I was close to end of a research time for an item. It was much more efficient to just buy the traited item for 100 gold rather than store one.

Also, if you are in a guild, you can usually get a traited item made by a guild mate for nothing else but a pleasant request.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• TwoBlades
    TwoBlades
    Thanks a lot. I've decided to have my most experienced character dedicated to researching my collected items for now.