Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Mercenary Style - Few words, inconsistencies, other.

Harvall
Harvall
✭✭✭
This conversation will be mostly about the Mercenary Style that has been in game for quite few days now, especially heavy armor of that style, and few inconsistencies. I would like to know your opinions and toughts about it, and if someone from ZOS would also look at this, it would be most fortunate

Schowek02.jpg

I want to start with a word that the armor look VERY cool. It has good meshes textures, and is very unique in comparison to others. But i see it has not been thought over. Some of you may think i'm whining. But let me tell you my toughts first, because i worked with armors, and arms in a castle order sice i was a boy.

First of all, lets start with the chestplate. The actual plate on the chestpiece is on the right side. Its all right - If men and mer of tamriel have hearts on the other side of the body that is. While that kind of armor existed in the past, the plate main purpose was to protect the heart from stabbing and slashing because such blow is as everyone know rather fatal. I wouldn't be suprised if it hurts only my eyes so far because i was one of the first people on the server to wear this, and see few others to actualy wear this style even now. I think it wouldn't be much of a problem to just "mirror" the chestpiece in the next patch.

Secondly, pauldron. Its all the same here really. Its on the right side. Again, its all cool - If you could wear your shield on the right arm that is. The whole purpose of wearing only one pauldron was to add protection to the shield arm and take weight away from the sword arm so you could swing more rapidly, and without so much of exhaustion. And it does not apply to mercenary style only, take note that ALL monster trophy sets have their respective pauldron on the right side. Should be left not only because of the shield, but because of the stance. No matter what weapon you use, you always expose your left shoulder in front. I realise this might be some "character skeleton" thing, so every armor with "one styled pauldron" has them on the right, It also shouldn't be much problem to change that.
Adding one word to the pauldron, I think it actually would be best to make both pauldrons. I realise one only looks very "mercenarish" but it is HEAVY armor and if you take a closer look at the undaunted banner, you will realize why we need both. This is the exact same armor. I dont know why we have been stripped from the opportunity to wear both like in the banner.

Schowek03.jpg

Third, The shield. While i was unable to re-read the chapter that was learning you about how to make shields (shalidor's library hasn't got the mercenary style page - a bug perhaps ?), i recall a quote that roughly sounded like that

"Mercenary shields are big, almost as big as Nord Kite shields, altough not that quite the same"

Schowek01.jpg Nord_Nightwood_Shield_Normal.jpg

That would imply that the The nord-styled shield is larger than the mercenary-styled shield while in reality (or in-game actually) we have the mercenary shield almost as large as human, and largest shield currently available in game and nord shield smallest available in the game (no one uses them also) ! Even last visual tier of the craftable nord shield did not change much in size and looks. I mean, everyone knows Elder Scrolls Nords are based on Vikings. Those has been known for large round shields. I can already hear some of you saying that nords are not Vikings and this is a game, but it is pretty much common sense that they are based on them. I am not talking here about the shield that one can find "pinned" to few weapon racks and stalls across the Skyrim (windhelm guild shops for example) This is shield from currently unavailable "Ancient Nord Style" along with few other weapons in the stalls (Draugr use theese). It is larger than the craftable version, but no one uses them because uncraftable means you can't apply traits to it.

Schowek04.jpg

Nord shields should be large if not the largest in-game. So the lore could play along with the actual game. And if i can propose the look of it, i present to you the shield from artwork on the official ESO page.

ch_Pz1ew.jpg

I know that changing the looks of the shield could be pretty much impossible at this point, simply because of the fact that it has been simply too long with the current look, but there is also a solution i would like to offer as well. One of the future DLC's could contain "Ancient Nord Style" with the one currently implemented as tier 1 looks, and this large badass as final tier of it. That would play along nicely because they also look very similar except the size (please ZOS, dont make style motiffs hard to get, glass style and mats are ridiculously hard to get) "Ancient Nord Style" could be dropped from Nord pots in barrows, similar to dwemer pots in dwemer ruins

That would be all, i encourage to reply and hope for a reply from one of ZOS staff as well
  • anitajoneb17_ESO
    anitajoneb17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regardless of ZOS' reaction, this is an awesome post. Like when someone explains a painting to you and all of a sudden you see a depth in it that you had not seen before. Thank you.
  • nilldax
    nilldax
    ✭✭✭
    My three cents:
    As for asymethrical armor, which Mercenary style is, bases on some trend of Fantasy games. The "unprotected" part of character is right (where havent found game with left-handed). Left hand, usually is guarded by shield. During swing/thurst right piece of body (for right-handed) is left without protection of shield, thats a point of heavely guarded "main-hand".
    Good point is that heart is hidden behind "only" scalemail.
    Shields... those couldnt be big due to its weight. Concepts vs in-game alwyas, and always, were different stories.
  • Harvall
    Harvall
    ✭✭✭
    nilldax wrote: »
    During swing/thurst right piece of body (for right-handed) is left without protection of shield, thats a point of heavely guarded "main-hand".
    Good point is that heart is hidden behind "only" scalemail.
    Shields... those couldnt be big due to its weight. Concepts vs in-game alwyas, and always, were different stories.

That's why it would be best if they made two-pauldroned armor. Would be lore friendly (heavy), undaunted friendly (banner armor) and arms protected on every action. but if we need to stick to one only, shield arm need more protection. When you attack with right sword arm, opponent rather blocks, with his shield or parries with his sword, not charges for now exposed sword arm. I have seen many duels (lets not talk about monster fights here) and pretty much, if you dont have sword, you can block or attack with a shield succesfully, without a shield, you are dead.
    Edited by Harvall on November 25, 2015 9:30PM
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Harvall wrote: »
    That would be all, i encourage to reply and hope for a reply from one of ZOS staff as well

Great post and analysis.

My thought on the "mercenary" style armor is that the armor typically worn by Mercenaries was stripped from the dead and would thus be mismatched and often incomplete. I think the artwork on this set fits that kind of a look...even if it is impractical from battlefield ready standpoint.

That shield though is monstrously large and unwieldy. I hate the daedric shield for the same reason. Who wants to look like a ninja turtle with a shield on their back?
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Harvall
    Harvall
    ✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »
    My thought on the "mercenary" style armor is that the armor typically worn by Mercenaries was stripped from the dead and would thus be mismatched and often incomplete.

You are right, but ZOS already made "armor stripped from the dead" on the soul shriven armor costume, so i guess they wanted something more up to date

I laughed hard on the "Ninja turtle"

Edited by Harvall on November 25, 2015 9:49PM
  • AbraXuSeXile
    AbraXuSeXile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Merc light makes my female char look male. No boobs.

Please fix no joke.
    AbraXuS
    Grand Overlord Rank 50 [First EU]
    Clan Leader of eXile
    Gaming Community - Est. 1999
    Crashing an EP Wedding | DK Emp | 1vX | Between Enemy Lines | Hate Video | 5 v Many

• eNumbra
    eNumbra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Harvall wrote: »

Third, The shield. While i was unable to re-read the chapter that was learning you about how to make shields (shalidor's library hasn't got the mercenary style page - a bug perhaps ?), i recall a quote that roughly sounded like that

"Mercenary shields are big, almost as big as Nord Kite shields, altough not that quite the same"

Schowek01.jpg Nord_Nightwood_Shield_Normal.jpg

That would imply that the The nord-styled shield is larger than the mercenary-styled shield while in reality (or in-game actually)

Actually it implies there's a style of Nord shield larger than the Nord shield currently in-game(that we don't get to use or see). The one we see in-game isn't a Kite shield.
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think there's confusion as to armor disposion.

I think ZOS has it right.
    From searching all over forums and stuff (and what I thought to start off with):

With a shield, it's the weapon arm and side that's vulnerable and that's why that's where they put the plate. (Look up Gladiators. Often the weapon side is the only side that HAS any kind of armor, seen as they needed to be dirty quick and had not that much money to buy armor anyway)

You WILL see contrary examples, like in jousting where ALL the focus of the armor is on the main impact probable point (Left side) or for armored that DONT use shields. The off hand would be reinforced etc...
  • Harvall
    Harvall
    ✭✭✭
    eNumbra wrote: »
    Actually it implies there's a style of Nord shield larger than the Nord shield currently in-game(that we don't get to use or see). The one we see in-game isn't a Kite shield.

Yes i know this isn't a kite shield. That is, there are no kite shield in ESO at al. Some may look more or less "kite" but i think it wasn't about the word itself but a shield generally. Also i am not sure if "kite" word was in this chapter, but i am leaning towards, that it was. I admit mercenary shield look kinda like a kite shield but those were designed to be used with cavalry, and we don't have mounted combat (yet ?) and were rather unwieldly on foot (but used sometimes anyways).

And its all about the fact that we "don't get to use or see" :p

With a shield, it's the weapon arm and side that's vulnerable and that's why that's where they put the plate. (Look up Gladiators. Often the weapon side is the only side that HAS any kind of armor, seen as they needed to be dirty quick and had not that much money to buy armor anyway)

You are absolutely right on the gladiator part, but you have to take note that gladiators were not meant to survive anyways (it was just other end if they did). Few of them used shields, and sword arm was most importand to them only because without it they couldn't put up a bloody show. And that was what it was all about.

But what if i use other shield ? clearily ZOS did not think everyone will use that shield only. Yes, with THAT shield it justifies why the pauldron is on the sword-arm. But i dont know why we even calling it a shield, i could just as good use a door instead....
    Edited by Harvall on November 25, 2015 11:41PM
  • Aquanova
    Aquanova
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I absolutely love the mercenary armor. Definitely my favorite set other than the alliance styles. Just wish there was some other way to get laurels without doing undaunted pledges or buying them from someone who has.
    Edited by Aquanova on November 26, 2015 3:50AM
    NA/PC
  • Aoife32001
    Aoife32001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Unfortunately Zenimax artists are likely much like real-world journalists--they love to engage in and represent military history and matters, but don't bother to learn anything about their subject matter beforehand.

I can't even begin to tell you how tired I am of hearing APCs and IFVs referred to as "tanks".
    Edited by Aoife32001 on November 29, 2015 2:51PM
  • TheDarkShadow
    TheDarkShadow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a very insightful post. It would be great if ZOS "fix" these things. However, I think the chance is very, very small, because there are a lots more important things they need to work on. But they should really consider these things for the new armors.
  • LadyNalcarya
    LadyNalcarya
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    But Nord style shield is a round shield, not kite shield. ;)
    Though I agree with the rest of your points.
    And yeah, mercenary style looks really nice. <3
    Edited by LadyNalcarya on November 29, 2015 3:44PM
    Dro-m'Athra Destroyer | Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor | Voice of Reason

PC/EU
  • Harvall
    Harvall
    ✭✭✭
    But Nord style shield is a round shield, not kite shield. ;)

I know the Nord shields are round, i said it in the first post
    Those has been known for large round shields

And read other respones as well, the "kite" part was already explained
    Yes i know this isn't a kite shield. That is, there are no kite shield in ESO at al. Some may look more or less "kite" but i think it wasn't about the word itself but a shield generally. Also i am not sure if "kite" word was in this chapter, but i am leaning towards, that it was. I admit mercenary shield look kinda like a kite shield but those were designed to be used with cavalry, and we don't have mounted combat (yet ?) and were rather unwieldly on foot (but used sometimes anyways).

And its all about the fact that we "don't get to use or see" :p
    Edited by Harvall on November 29, 2015 6:39PM
  • MornaBaine
    MornaBaine
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aquanova wrote: »
    I absolutely love the mercenary armor. Definitely my favorite set other than the alliance styles. Just wish there was some other way to get laurels without doing undaunted pledges or buying them from someone who has.

Oh how I HATE that they made this choice! Where's the solo content armor that looks this awesome? Oh that's right...there isn't any. And before anyone reminds me, "Because MMO" I will then say that the Main Story and Mage and Fighters Guild quests should not have been solo content either then. A good portion of this game was solo from jump...ZOS needs to step it up on that front.
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

• Krombie
    Krombie
    ✭✭✭
    You should really make videos about this stuff.
    I loved this post it was really good explaining everything and the lore behind ESO armors.
    Or maybe just make more posts like this one :smiley:
    Keep up the good work.