Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Leveling Blacksmithing

Electrolyke
Any Tips,Tricks or anything that assisted you guys with leveling your Blacksmithing Skills to MAX throughout the game?
@Electrolyke
VR 1 | Templar | DPS
"In the sewers we must hide, to avoid all the crazies top side!" ~ Terane
  • Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    ✭✭✭✭
    Pick up all green, blues, and purples as you go to deconstruct. Or any whites that give you the extra Inspiration.
    N64 NA EP
  • Vonovosi
    Vonovosi
    ✭✭✭
    Other than deconning, the only thing that gives you any inspiration is doing crafting writs if you have the matts. If you get survey reports you can make back some of the matts that you use up, but decon everything you pick up.
    Edited by Vonovosi on November 23, 2015 5:25PM
    VR16 Khajiit Stamina Nightblade=DPS-(AD)-PC NA-Kuwabatake Sanjuro
    VR16 Breton Sorcerer-DPS/Healer-(DC)-PC NA-Charles Baudelaire
    VR16 Altmer Sorcerer=DPS/Healer-(AD)-PC NA-Lottie Millhaven
    VR16 Dunmer Dragonknight-Tank-(EP)-PC NA=Cthulhu Hllalu
    VR16 Imperial Dragonknight-Tank-(AD)-PC NA-Leeroy Jhenkins
    VR16 Breton Magicka Templar-Healer/DPS-(AD)-PC NA- Nina Hagen
    VR16 Altmer Magicka Nightblade-DPS-(AD)-PC NA-J R Bob Dobbs
    LVL39 Redguard Stamina Templar-Tank-(DC)-PC NA-Wesley Willis
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can level the hard crafts, Blacksmith, Clothier and Woodwork fairly easily to max.

But that's just the beginning. You have literally months of research to do to get all nine traits on everything you can make. A 9 trait crafter is what you are aiming for and you have to level your research slots as soon as you can, to get the grind started. Once you have all 3 running you have to keep em' full.
  • GalacticOffender
    The research is reason enough to split crafting amoung alts I suppose.
    Edited by GalacticOffender on November 23, 2015 5:18PM
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

No. I made that mistake. All 3 of the hard crafts on one guy, otherwise you will need several of the expensive motifs, instead of one.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭

No. I made that mistake. All 3 of the hard crafts on one guy, otherwise you will need several of the expensive motifs, instead of one.

If you want to spend the points in all the passives on one character it can be difficult at early levels to have enough for combat and survival as well, but you can research 3 things at once on each craft so it doesn't slow you down thaaat much research-wise and saves you gold in the end.

I did not do the sensible thing, and it has gotten me my traits slightly faster but.... buying the motifs 3-4 times over is expensive, unless you get really lucky and find them multiple times, or if you're not interested in them.
    I did 1 character for Medium Armor and Staves, 1 Character for Metal Weapons and Bows & Shields, 1 Character for Heavy Armor, 1 Character for Light Armor (I could have doubled up the heavy and light armor, but I was going for RP reasons not practicality).

However, there is a reason for having two characters doing each craft: You can have your very own crafting buddy you don't have to coordinate meet-ups with. Since deconstruction of other characters' work gives you the best inspiration points, you can help level up a craft by creating items on one character, tossing them in the bank and deconstructing them on the other character. You have to keep both of them at the same tier of materials and extraction, so why not invest in research too.

Another strategy regarding research is to go ahead and have your other characters research traits that your main crafter doesn't have slots to research yet so you don't have those items sitting around in your inventory, then when your main crafter has a free research slot, one of the others can just create something with that next trait you want to research. I try to keep my research items ending at the same time - that is do one trait on everything, then a second trait, etc, rather than getting 6 traits done on one item while most of the others still only have 2 done. This helps me keep track of when to start my next research if I can start everything at the same time, rather than having multiple timers to keep track of.

If you want to level up fast get the highest level items to deconstruct. You might want to farm chests with a veteran character for those green and blue items. Or if you have gold to spend, buy intricate vet level items from guild stores.
    Edited by Aelthwyn on November 23, 2015 10:41PM
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aelthwyn wrote: »

If you want to spend the points in all the passives on one character it can be difficult at early levels to have enough for combat and survival as well, but you can research 3 things at once on each craft so it doesn't slow you down thaaat much research-wise and saves you gold in the end.

I did not do the sensible thing, and it has gotten me my traits slightly faster but.... buying the motifs 3-4 times over is expensive, unless you get really lucky and find them multiple times, or if you're not interested in them.
    I did 1 character for Medium Armor and Staves, 1 Character for Metal Weapons and Bows & Shields, 1 Character for Heavy Armor, 1 Character for Light Armor (I could have doubled up the heavy and light armor, but I was going for RP reasons not practicality).

However, there is a reason for having two characters doing each craft: You can have your very own crafting buddy you don't have to coordinate meet-ups with. Since deconstruction of other characters' work gives you the best inspiration points, you can help level up a craft by creating items on one character, tossing them in the bank and deconstructing them on the other character. You have to keep both of them at the same tier of materials and extraction, so why not invest in research too.

Another strategy regarding research is to go ahead and have your other characters research traits that your main crafter doesn't have slots to research yet so you don't have those items sitting around in your inventory, then when your main crafter has a free research slot, one of the others can just create something with that next trait you want to research.

If you want to level up fast get the highest level items to deconstruct. You might want to farm chests with a veteran character for those green and blue items. Or if you have gold to spend, buy intricate vet level items from guild stores.

Mine have been maxxed for over a year. I can level a VR in a soft craft in a few hours. I could do it to a hard craft too but that is kinda pointless.
  • Electrolyke

Another strategy regarding research is to go ahead and have your other characters research traits that your main crafter doesn't have slots to research yet so you don't have those items sitting around in your inventory, then when your main crafter has a free research slot, one of the others can just create something with that next trait you want to research. I try to keep my research items ending at the same time - that is do one trait on everything, then a second trait, etc, rather than getting 6 traits done on one item while most of the others still only have 2 done. This helps me keep track of when to start my next research if I can start everything at the same time, rather than having multiple timers to keep track of.

Thank you for the insight friend! I'll be sure to try that out.
    @Electrolyke
    VR 1 | Templar | DPS
    "In the sewers we must hide, to avoid all the crazies top side!" ~ Terane
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you for the insight friend! I'll be sure to try that out.

It's not especially good advice. Making two chars to swap stuff is waste of time. You will hoover up oodles of crap to break down for mats, tempers and IP, in general game play.

At one time Enchanters benefited from this practice but things have changed. I leveled a VR2 to max Enchanter in about 6 hours, about a week ago. He got significant IP from breaking down his own stuff. It used to be negligible.

Getting to 3 research slots and keeping them full is most of the hard crafts. They will level as you use em'. You do not need to worry about traits to deconstruct. Buy the items you need to break down in the Guild Store.