The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of May 6:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – May 6, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – May 8, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)

Heavy Armored Templar

edorfeus
edorfeus
✭✭✭
Hi!
I'm playing a stamina based templar and I really want to use heavy armor for PVP, be tanky and all, but it seems that heavy armor is so useless now. I'm running 5 heavy 2 medium (used to run 7 heavy, but the lack of stamina regen was unbearable), but I still get wrecked from some nightblades for about 5 seconds. The way I see it, that's not the way a tanky character in heavy armor should be on the battlefield. It's simply illogical.
Do you have any tips on how to make a good tanky stamina templar build with at least 5 heavy?
I run sword&shield and 2 handed on my bars.
  • BalticBlues
    BalticBlues
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, but no way, heavy armor is a JOKE in PvP

- it does not protect you considerably more (heavy paper armor)
    - it kills your mag/stam regeneration
    - it limits your DPS
    + it just looks great

Consequence: Templars in heavy armor are the best looking PvP corpses in the game.

Edited by BalticBlues on November 21, 2015 6:46PM
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To use heavy you'll need a minimum of 400cp, purely because without the passives to regen from med armor you'll be lacking resources, but at that level of CP you can maintain it.

Second is a stam templar is the worst of the worst atm, I'd personally go magicka .

Heavy armor just isn't good enough on its on. Going from light to heavy I double my resistance from 10k to 20k. But most people use armor debuffs anyway, and penetration.

Also losing light armor means I lose

Cost reduction
    Recovery
    Raw damage from penetration
    Spell critical

But the heavy armor passives are lack luster and only really help tanks that want to block more.

That 10k armor isn't huge either, we're talking about 12% damage mitigation, turning a 14k wrecking blow into 12k wrecking blow, so you might take 2 seconds more to kill, but you won't be able to roll dod , break free or do as much damage.

And besides that, in light armor I still manage to get nearly 30k spell resist, which is better than physical imo since all ultimates (except one) and a large percentage of skills all do magic damage.
    Options
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The thing is - what defence does stamplar have out there? I'm running heavy since I started playing so I'm used to it probably more than it's healthy and honestly I can't imagine how I would survive anything in medium. Check this vid, I watched it recently and I think it's cool:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GR2gexv5vys
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's a very sad truth but heavy armor in pvp is just for looks. ZOS seriously instead of saying you're gonna buff up DKs, Temps, and HA just do it already. There is no reason to wait till a major update or anything like that to add these changes you can add it in next maintenance date.
    Options
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't listen to the naysayers, a templar is probably the best class to use heavy on. It can work pretty good, not the same way as a light or medium build obviously but heavy has already been proven to be effective on a templar on these forums and elsewhere. Anything can work as long as you go about it right and aren't stupid.

To answer the OP's question about a 5 heavy stam build. Run something like 5 hundings/reactive set, 4 morkuldin and 3 piece agility, just make sure you have stam cost/regen on 2 of your agility pieces, at least and you should be good to go.

Edited by Akinos on November 22, 2015 10:21AM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »
    Don't listen to the naysayers, a templar is probably the best class to use heavy on. It can work pretty good, not the same way as a light or medium build obviously but heavy has already been proven to be effective on a templar on these forums and elsewhere. Anything can work as long as you go about it right and aren't stupid.

To answer the OP's question about a 5 heavy stam build. Run something like 5 hundings/reactive set, 4 morkuldin and 3 piece agility, just make sure you have stam cost/regen on 2 of your agility pieces, at least and you should be good to go.

The problem is a templars main source of defence is healing, and wearing heavy armor you heal less, and your heals are less powerful , you also have to either spec far more into regen armor than dps armor.

The 12% extra armor is only going to be 1 light attacks worth of damage over a few hits, a 14k wrecking blow is only getting reduced to 12k.

But with light armor that could be an extra dozen or so breath of life casts, with more of them critting, and all your sweeps doing far more damage, healing you even more.

In light armor I still have 30k spell resist, and 17k buffed physical resist, and with lots of stam users using
    ING sharpened maces, and armor penetration CP the extra armor gets negated very quickly.
    Options
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zornyan wrote: »

The problem is a templars main source of defence is healing, and wearing heavy armor you heal less, and your heals are less powerful , you also have to either spec far more into regen armor than dps armor.

The 12% extra armor is only going to be 1 light attacks worth of damage over a few hits, a 14k wrecking blow is only getting reduced to 12k.

But with light armor that could be an extra dozen or so breath of life casts, with more of them critting, and all your sweeps doing far more damage, healing you even more.

In light armor I still have 30k spell resist, and 17k buffed physical resist, and with lots of stam users using
    ING sharpened maces, and armor penetration CP the extra armor gets negated very quickly.

Oh boy, here we go again...
    1.You're wrong about heavy armor making you heal less. Armor type DOES NOT affect the power of heals. Only regen rate and cost of skills.

2. 14k wrecking blows? You guys must be running around naked on console to get hit that hard by wrecking blow, on PC the average wrecking blow spammer hits me wearing light for around 9-12k. 14k is pushing it even for the highest weapon damage builds.

3. A dozen or more casts? That's unlikely. Stop talking like it's impossible for a templar to do good in heavy. You've already been proven wrong in that department, yet you keep coming down hard on people for asking about heavy with your irrelevant made up numbers.

4. The OP was asking about a heavy armor stam build, not magicka.
    Edited by Akinos on November 22, 2015 12:51PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
    Options
  • edorfeus
    edorfeus
    ✭✭✭

Thx for the support man. I'm currently using 5 Hundings and 4 Night Silence. Used to have willow's path for regen, but it felt like not much use. I can't get my hands on the agility jewelry at the moment, but thanks for the advice.
    I can do fine with my current setup in a group play, having some utility powers as purifying ritual and blazing spear, but I'm having a hard time soloing. Probably it's because I still don't have vigor.
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1.You're wrong about heavy armor making you heal less. Armor type DOES NOT affect the power of heals. Only regen rate and cost of skills.

2. 14k wrecking blows? You guys must be running around naked on console to get hit that hard by wrecking blow, on PC the average wrecking blow spammer hits me wearing light for around 9-12k. 14k is pushing it even for the highest weapon damage builds.

3. A dozen or more casts? That's unlikely. Stop talking like it's impossible for a templar to do good in heavy. You've already been proven wrong in that department, yet you keep coming down hard on people for asking about heavy with your irrelevant made up numbers.

Er it does effect power of heals, more crit = more crit heals, more crit heals means less heals required.

14K is obviously a crit hit, I can do that myself with my stamblade, and using shadow mundus.

Easily a dozen or so more casts, we're talking a large amount of cost reduction, with a large regen boost, also penetration means you'll need to use less casts to do the same damage as without.

Even a stam build is missing out on a straight 10% crit (more crit heals) and 12% weapon damage (which is worth 400+weapon damage a significant boost to dps)

Then there's things like roll dodge cost reduction, extremely inportant, I'd rather dodge that incoming wrecking blow or frags than have a small amount of mitigation against it.

Options
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Heavy isn't terrible on a healer/tanky type templar that's close to the CP cap. You can squeeze in a little extra survivability, if less dmg isn't a problem.

You loose a bit of crit, not the end of the world. Cost reduction has diminishing returns anyway and recovery can be covered by CP and other passives. Spell pen is nice, but if you spend most your time soaking dmg and healing, what you need it for?

But I wouldn't recommend going heavy on a stamplar. Medium passives are to good for that playstyle, since they also come with dodge cost reduction and weapon power.
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Go 5 medium, 2 heavy. Best bet.
    Options
  • Forestd16b14_ESO
    Forestd16b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    eliisra wrote: »
    Heavy isn't terrible on a healer/tanky type templar that's close to the CP cap. You can squeeze in a little extra survivability, if less dmg isn't a problem.

You loose a bit of crit, not the end of the world. Cost reduction has diminishing returns anyway and recovery can be covered by CP and other passives. Spell pen is nice, but if you spend most your time soaking dmg and healing, what you need it for?

But I wouldn't recommend going heavy on a stamplar. Medium passives are to good for that playstyle, since they also come with dodge cost reduction and weapon power.

See that's the problem right there. That players say that "oh having high CP makes HA awesome" bla bla and all that junk thing is not every one has high CP. HA alone should be a good enough defense not just barely be usable with the help of 400+ CP but it isn't.

HA in my own words needs a total revamp and be bring back to pre-1.6 or U6 when it had it's reduce break free cost as a passive and was actually good and add some more passive into it such as a reduce snare effect passive along with a reduce penetration effect from enemies so that enemy players with high penetration wont turn your supposed heavy metal armor into mush. They also need to fix it's skill and not make it total garbage give it's CC immunity full length duration as it was before but instead fix it how it should have been fixed before were the player needs to wear atleast 5 pieces of said armor to use it.

Yes some may say 25K+ res with a resistance to snares and penetration effects along with a reduce breaker free cost and reduce cost for blocking maybe OP but thing is HA users have no other defense options but to take the damage. They can;t shield stack like LA users and they can't infa dodge like MA users. HA users have no choice but to take the damage and with how HA is now it's nearly impossible to be any good in pvp with all the exploits and spamming broken skills. HA has to be the best defense cause they are giving up there offensive option for what they assume is supposed to be the best defense.
    Options
  • C0pp3rhead
    C0pp3rhead
    ✭✭✭✭

Er it does effect power of heals, more crit = more crit heals, more crit heals means less heals required.

14K is obviously a crit hit, I can do that myself with my stamblade, and using shadow mundus.

Easily a dozen or so more casts, we're talking a large amount of cost reduction, with a large regen boost, also penetration means you'll need to use less casts to do the same damage as without.

Even a stam build is missing out on a straight 10% crit (more crit heals) and 12% weapon damage (which is worth 400+weapon damage a significant boost to dps)

Then there's things like roll dodge cost reduction, extremely inportant, I'd rather dodge that incoming wrecking blow or frags than have a small amount of mitigation against it.

On top of that, very few HA sets have +Max Magicka, + Spell Pen, + Spell Power, or + Spell Crit as a set bonus. The +Max Magicka increases not only your resource pool but also your spell power. The abundance of LA sets with these sorts of bonuses allows for more flexibility in maximizing your damage output.

I also agree with @zornyan that the vast majority of a Templar's defensive abilities are magicka-based, especially our healing. Templars really suffer from a lack of CC and mobility. Without the regen, crit, and cost reduction provided by LA, our defensive options are pretty limited.
    "Things which are alike in nature grow to look alike, and the speaking stones have lain a long time lookin' at the sun. Some believe they descend with the lightning, but I believe they are on the ground and are projected downward by the bolt."

Fear my moustache powers.

Tastes-New-Blood - V14 Argonian Templar
    Giblets N Bits - V2 Imperial Nightblade
    Skruyue N'Alyutu - V1 Altmer Sorcerer
    Jolbie Firecrotch - L31 Nord Dragonknight

Vehemence - - Valhalla's Guard
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    C0pp3rhead wrote: »

On top of that, very few HA sets have +Max Magicka, + Spell Pen, + Spell Power, or + Spell Crit as a set bonus. The +Max Magicka increases not only your resource pool but also your spell power. The abundance of LA sets with these sorts of bonuses allows for more flexibility in maximizing your damage output.

I also agree with @zornyan that the vast majority of a Templar's defensive abilities are magicka-based, especially our healing. Templars really suffer from a lack of CC and mobility. Without the regen, crit, and cost reduction provided by LA, our defensive options are pretty limited.

See even with crafted sets it's still better to be light armor, ad said our defensive skills are our heals. The more powerful our heals are the more we can survive, I'd rather take a better chance at crit healing for 18k, and being able to heal far more often than a small amount of mitigation.

Actually manages to get a recording of me 1v5 players earlier, one of them was a dk tank and (thanks to my setup in la) I killed them all, even the 2 dks in heavy couldn't survive a few sweeps. That's the problem with heavy, builds have so much penetration it gets negated.
    Options
  • Anazasi
    Anazasi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a magic Templar been running 5 heavy 2 light for a very very long time (pre-IC) It can be done, it is a challenge, but you can be extremely tanky. Do not let others tell you it can not be accomplished.

Taran
    Options
  • Jade1986
    Jade1986
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Anazasi wrote: »
    I'm a magic Templar been running 5 heavy 2 light for a very very long time (pre-IC) It can be done, it is a challenge, but you can be extremely tanky. Do not let others tell you it can not be accomplished.

Taran

It is totally possible, but not optimal. With the current meta as a magic user you want to go 5 light 2 heavy, and stam user, 5 medium, 2 heavy. Or 5, 1 , 1 that works too.
    Options
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    laced wrote: »

Taran

It is totally possible, but not optimal. With the current meta as a magic user you want to go 5 light 2 heavy, and stam user, 5 medium, 2 heavy. Or 5, 1 , 1 that works too.

Last I checked, not everybody is a leet min/maxer that wants everything to be 100% perfect with the optimal and best stats, some people just want to play how they want, and still get great results in doing so.
    Edited by Akinos on November 23, 2015 11:41PM
    Options
  • C0pp3rhead
    C0pp3rhead
    ✭✭✭✭
    laced wrote: »

Taran

Last I checked, not everybody is a leet min/maxer that wants everything to be 100% perfect with the optimal and best stats, some people just want to play how they want, and still get great results in doing so.

You don't have to be a leet min-maxer to see that HA is just not as good for a magicka templar as LA.
    "Things which are alike in nature grow to look alike, and the speaking stones have lain a long time lookin' at the sun. Some believe they descend with the lightning, but I believe they are on the ground and are projected downward by the bolt."

Fear my moustache powers.

Tastes-New-Blood - V14 Argonian Templar
    Giblets N Bits - V2 Imperial Nightblade
    Skruyue N'Alyutu - V1 Altmer Sorcerer
    Jolbie Firecrotch - L31 Nord Dragonknight

Vehemence - - Valhalla's Guard
    Options
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Always nice to meet LA templar in PvP. Just a walking free AP deliverer.
    Options
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    My Dk is a tank in pve.

5 heavy, 1 light, 1 medium.

Used to in pvp.

I couldn't really do much offence, and my defence was decent.

Swapped so it's 5 medium, 1 light and 1 heavy.

I can do a lot more offence and don't feel any more squishy.

There's no place for HA in pvp
    Options
  • contact.opiumb16_ESO
    HA is for the style, nothing more
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cinbri wrote: »

Obvious troll post, I've even got videos of me 1vx against 5 players wearing light, and still killing them all, wouldn't be possibly in heavy as I wouldn't be able to heal as much.
    Options
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Obvious troll post, I've even got videos of me 1vx against 5 players wearing light, and still killing them all, wouldn't be possibly in heavy as I wouldn't be able to heal as much.
    Obvious troll post :trollface:. I dissapoint you - impossible to win 1vx with equal opponents, if you won 1v5, they are confirmed nubs and would be killed with any even troll setup. If you are EU i can tell you some names to duel against to proove that you can withstand at least 1 decent enemy, otherwise i don't care(even despite that LA is effective in 1v1)...everyone on forum claims they are pvp monsters.
    Edited by Cinbri on November 24, 2015 10:59AM
    Options
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Jura23 wrote: »
    The thing is - what defence does stamplar have out there? I'm running heavy since I started playing so I'm used to it probably more than it's healthy and honestly I can't imagine how I would survive anything in medium. Check this vid, I watched it recently and I think it's cool:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=GR2gexv5vys

It is cool, but to be fair @JackDaniell is one of the best players I've seen, so for others to mold their setups on his might be a stretch
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Obvious troll post :trollface:. I dissapoint you - impossible to win 1vx with equal opponents, if you won 1v5, they are confirmed nubs and would be killed with any even troll setup. If you are EU i can tell you some names to duel against to proove that you can withstand at least 1 decent enemy, otherwise i don't care...everyone on forum claims they are pvp monsters.

I duel Lots thanks, and win quite a lot of the time too , a heavy armor templars resources will run out far too quickly, with light armor on i can sustain for hours if I wanted, I could fight endless battles and heal for as long as I wanted (which works really well against n00b NB'S that go full glass cannon and have no resource management )

In heavy? My magicka pool would be gone in under a minute, and healing for 15k+ per BoL is far more useful than taking 10% less damage .
    Options
  • Cinbri
    Cinbri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Obvious troll post :trollface:. I dissapoint you - impossible to win 1vx with equal opponents, if you won 1v5, they are confirmed nubs and would be killed with any even troll setup. If you are EU i can tell you some names to duel against to proove that you can withstand at least 1 decent enemy, otherwise i don't care...everyone on forum claims they are pvp monsters.

I duel Lots thanks, and win quite a lot of the time too , a heavy armor templars resources will run out far too quickly, with light armor on i can sustain for hours if I wanted, I could fight endless battles and heal for as long as I wanted (which works really well against n00b NB'S that go full glass cannon and have no resource management )

In heavy? My magicka pool would be gone in under a minute, and healing for 15k+ per BoL is far more useful than taking 10% less damage .

Using HA or LA still depends on preferences. Lik,e i like sustain and i never been out of mana in heavy armor with having enough dps.
    Options
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You talk alot about being some amazing player that can pull 30k single target DPS and being able to 1v5 and all that jazz, but you've never shown any kind of proof of anything you claim. Yet myself and others have proven you wrong and called you out on your bs on several occasions. I think it's time you put up or shut up.

If you run out of magicka that fast wearing 5 heavy then you are doing it wrong.
    Edited by Akinos on November 24, 2015 12:35PM
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You talk alot about being some amazing player that can pull 30k single target DPS and being able to 1v5 and all that jazz, but you've never shown any kind of proof of anything you claim. I think it's time you put up or shut up.

If you run out of magicka that fast wearing 5 heavy then you are doing it wrong.

Not really, losing 20% cost reduction and 25% odd regen is a big big loss, that would drop my regen by about 400, and my cost spiral up, I mean that's double what an entire seducer set gives!

I run 3x spell damage on jewellery and kagrenac's x5 and 4x magnus, my character hits very hard (enough that about 3 sweeps kills most people off if all 4 hits land)

In order to use heavy I would have to change jewellery to cost reduction /regen, losing out on damage, ontop of losing out on crit and penetration.

Like I said the problem with heavy is penetration negates it, even when I fight full heavy armor tanks it doesn't take any extra effort to kill them, infact thanks to them hitting like wet blankets it's even easier to kill them.

Options
  • contact.opiumb16_ESO
    @zornyan you always avoid what @Akinos says : proofs of your awesome skills and K/D ratio. You always claim that templars are fine etc etc while top 10 world templars says templars needs a complete rework.

Give us proofs and facts that we, templars players since beta do it wrong please
    Options
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @zornyan you always avoid what @Akinos says : proofs of your awesome skills and K/D ratio. You always claim that templars are fine etc etc while top 10 world templars says templars needs a complete rework.

Give us proofs and facts that we, templars players since beta do it wrong please

Where did I claim they are fine? I said heavy armor is inferior to both medium and light, a well aged upon fact by most.

I have said in multiple threads templars and dk need love, that they need class skills fixing and a few balance issues/tweaks, all I've said is that in the right hands a templar can be devastating (magicka not stamina as stamplar simply sucks atm)
    Options