Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mac users, your experiences? :)

LilyOra
LilyOra
✭✭✭
Wasn't sure where exactly to post this, but here goes anyway ;)

I play ESO on PC. I work on Mac. Right now I'm looking into purchasing a new Macbook, mine's had its day.

1: What have been your experiences gaming on Mac?

2: Will I need to repurchase ESO for Mac?

Ty :)
  • pronkg
    pronkg
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Pretty good. Never had any issues.
    2. Nope ;)
  • LilyOra
    LilyOra
    ✭✭✭
    pronkg wrote: »
    1. Pretty good. Never had any issues.
    2. Nope ;)

Ty, Ty very much :D
  • Dear
    Dear
    ✭✭✭
    I play it on a Retina. Graphics are FANTASTIC.
    However, I regret purchasing a new Macbook.
    I wish I had built my own PC so I could game.
    (ESO works decently, but no other games do.)
    I promise to never buy another Mac again. :s
    ✉ DEAR | PC-NA | PVE | RP | BETA | NEWBIE | MAIN: MAROON |
      Petite||||||||||||Dual Nightblade|||||Wood Elf ♀||||Tailor and Assassin|||||Neutral Good|||||||Ebonheart||||||| Petite is happily married to Gigantic
      Bride|||||||||||||Storm Sorcerer|||||||High Elf ♀||||||Bored Provisioner|||||||Chaotic Good||||||Ebonheart|||||||| Bride wants to find and marry Groom
      Child|||||||||||||Bowman Knight||||||Wood Elf ♂||||Vampire Mercenary|||||Chaotic Evil|||||||||Dominion|||||||| Child is badly watched over by Adult
      Naive||||||||||||Healer Templar|||||||Dark Elf ♀||||||Idealistic Shaman||||||||Lawful Good|||||||Dominion|||||||| Naive is a healer companion of Frail
      Maroon|||||||||Flame Templar|||||||Dark Elf ♀||||||Vampire Alchemist||||||Neutral Evil||||||||||Daggerfall||||||| Maroon likes the color of your blood
    • Cuyler
      Cuyler
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      1. Qualify your question with what players are doing in game. For example, do you just rp? or do you fight in epic 100 vs 100 AvA battles with thousands of particle effects to process.

Anyways When I was standing still and looking at the pretty flowers, sure it ran fine. But the reality is playing on a MacBook previously was horrible. Usually <30 fps and stuttering in the heavy particle effect areas like PvP and SO. Oh and this was on the minimum graphic settings. The computer itself ran so hot all the time I could literally heat a room.

Then there is the sub-par coding from ZOS's MAC client. Did you know that every MAC player would crash on the Molag Kena fight due to the lightning wall for nearly 2 months since it's release stopping every MAC users progression? and when the game was first introduced it had a MAC specific memory leak that went unaddressed for months? how about face animations, did you know that they were released months after the PC updates and at a lower quality and quantity than it's PC counterpart?

The point is...for the extra money you spend to purchase what amounts to the Apple Brand logo, you could of purchased a PC that plays ESO with ease. So unless you have another reason to buy a MAC, like you do graphic or video editing for your work, I suggest not o bother. You'd literally have to purchase the top of the line MacBook, which last I checked was like $2.5k USD to get the performance of a PC that costs half the price.

2. No
      Edited by Cuyler on November 19, 2015 3:54PM
      Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
      CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
      "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
    • vamp_emily
      vamp_emily
      ✭✭✭✭✭
      ✭✭✭
      I love my mac but not for ESO.

If you are going to buy a new computer, I would checkout a company named "Digital Storm" they make gaming desktops and laptops.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
      AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• LilyOra
      LilyOra
      ✭✭✭
      Cuyler wrote: »
      1. Qualify your question with what players are doing in game. For example, do you just rp? or do you fight in epic 100 vs 100 AvA battles with thousands of particle effects to process.

Anyways When I was standing still and looking at the pretty flowers, sure it ran fine. But the reality is playing on a MacBook previously was horrible. Usually <30 fps and stuttering in the heavy particle effect areas like PvP and SO. Oh and this was on the minimum graphic settings. The computer itself ran so hot all the time I could literally heat a room.

Then there is the sub-par coding from ZOS's MAC client. Did you know that every MAC player would crash on the Molag Kena fight due to the lightning wall for nearly 2 months since it's release stopping every MAC users progression? and when the game was first introduced it had a MAC specific memory leak that went unaddressed for months? how about face animations, did you know that they were released months after the PC updates and at a lower quality and quantity than it's PC counterpart?

The point is...for the extra money you spend to purchase what amounts to the Apple Brand logo, you could of purchased a PC that plays ESO with ease. So unless you have another reason to buy a MAC, like you do graphic or video editing for your work, I suggest not o bother. You'd literally have to purchase the top of the line MacBook, which last I checked was like $2.5k USD to get the performance of a PC that costs half the price.

2. No

Thank you :) I do graphic design work so it is necessary but I can run the programs on pc too no problem. Just used to working on mac I guess. But thank you for your response, its def making me think twice :)
    • LilyOra
      LilyOra
      ✭✭✭
      vamp_emily wrote: »
      I love my mac but not for ESO.

If you are going to buy a new computer, I would checkout a company named "Digital Storm" they make gaming desktops and laptops.

Ty :) Will check them out
    • LilyOra
      LilyOra
      ✭✭✭
      Dear wrote: »
      I play it on a Retina. Graphics are FANTASTIC.
      However, I regret purchasing a new Macbook.
      I wish I had built my own PC so I could game.
      (ESO works decently, but no other games do.)
      I promise to never buy another Mac again. :s

Eek okay :S I'm glad I asked you guys cos Im getting more nays than yays for mac :) Will prob save me some money to spend on crowns amirite ;)
    • Dear
      Dear
      ✭✭✭
      @LilyOra
      Do what I wish I had done. Build a badass custom gaming PC.
      Then, yeah, go nuts on crowns, sure? XD

This is coming from someone who also does digital design and illustration work.
      Mac is pretty and the programs do work and look nicer, but the programs work on PC, too.
      Edited by Dear on November 20, 2015 4:48AM
      ✉ DEAR | PC-NA | PVE | RP | BETA | NEWBIE | MAIN: MAROON |
        Petite||||||||||||Dual Nightblade|||||Wood Elf ♀||||Tailor and Assassin|||||Neutral Good|||||||Ebonheart||||||| Petite is happily married to Gigantic
        Bride|||||||||||||Storm Sorcerer|||||||High Elf ♀||||||Bored Provisioner|||||||Chaotic Good||||||Ebonheart|||||||| Bride wants to find and marry Groom
        Child|||||||||||||Bowman Knight||||||Wood Elf ♂||||Vampire Mercenary|||||Chaotic Evil|||||||||Dominion|||||||| Child is badly watched over by Adult
        Naive||||||||||||Healer Templar|||||||Dark Elf ♀||||||Idealistic Shaman||||||||Lawful Good|||||||Dominion|||||||| Naive is a healer companion of Frail
        Maroon|||||||||Flame Templar|||||||Dark Elf ♀||||||Vampire Alchemist||||||Neutral Evil||||||||||Daggerfall||||||| Maroon likes the color of your blood
      • Belidos
        Belidos
        ✭✭✭✭✭
        mac-supports-windows-1.jpg
      • LilyOra
        LilyOra
        ✭✭✭
        Dear wrote: »
        @LilyOra
        Do what I wish I had done. Build a badass custom gaming PC.
        Then, yeah, go nuts on crowns, sure? XD

This is coming from someone who also does digital design and illustration work.
        Mac is pretty and the programs do work and look nicer, but the programs work on PC, too.

Ty :) I think you're right
      • LilyOra
        LilyOra
        ✭✭✭
        Belidos wrote: »
        mac-supports-windows-1.jpg

XD Really?! Lol
      • pronkg
        pronkg
        ✭✭✭✭
        Oh yeah if your question was should I use a Mac for gaming? I would have said no, but eso works fine on my Mac.

For my work I will never ever go back to windows I can't afford the unstability