Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

There NEEDS to be a cheaper way to swap traits on crafted items

Cadelay
Cadelay
✭✭✭
Having to spend several thousand gold to switch a trait on a piece of my gold v16 gear, by completely redoing the piece and losing the enchantment, is painful and discouraging. Once you've made that piece of gear you're stuck with it.

Please ZOS put in some sort of a way to swap traits with less cost.
Edited by Cadelay on November 14, 2015 8:30PM
  • thechampxo
    In the next patch I'm pretty sure all vet mats will be a lot easier to get bro
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I imagine their solution will be something along the lines of; "You can now change traits on items. To do so, you'll need to forge a Stone of Changing. Before creating the stone, you'll need to collect 100 fragments. Each fragment has a 20% drop chance in Undaunted chests. Before the drop chance is even activated on the fragments you'll need to pay Murlok gro-Krushog a sum of 90,000 gold for the recipe. He can be found deep inside Old Orsinium dungeon. The recipe and stones are BoP so cannot be traded with other players.
    We hope you enjoy your crafting experience with ESO."
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Alucardo wrote: »
    I imagine their solution will be something along the lines of; "You can now change traits on items. To do so, you'll need to forge a Stone of Changing. Before creating the stone, you'll need to collect 100 fragments. Each fragment has a 20% drop chance in Undaunted chests. Before the drop chance is even activated on the fragments you'll need to pay Murlok gro-Krushog a sum of 90,000 gold for the recipe. He can be found deep inside Old Orsinium dungeon. The recipe and stones are BoP so cannot be traded with other players.
    We hope you enjoy your crafting experience with ESO."

And yet I'd still prefer that than to not be able to change traits :)
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadelay wrote: »
    Having to spend several thousand gold to switch a trait on a piece of my gold v16 gear, by completely redoing the piece and losing the enchantment, is painful and discouraging. Once you've made that piece of gear you're stuck with it.

I'm not quite getting this. Several thousand gold is peanuts, or should be for a VR16. You screw up a build, you break it down and take your lumps.

I suspect here you just want to change some things that you have found are not ideal. Suck it up. ;)
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nope. I disagree. If you change traits more often than you can afford. just use purple gear.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Cadelay
    Cadelay
    ✭✭✭

I'm not quite getting this. Several thousand gold is peanuts, or should be for a VR16. You screw up a build, you break it down and take your lumps.

I suspect here you just want to change some things that you have found are not ideal. Suck it up. ;)

Is it hard for you to believe that maybe everyone isn't sitting on a pile of gold ingame like you are? The game is in a depression right now, and many of the people in my guilds and on the forums are agreeing. You may be an exception, but you don't need to try to shatter everyone else's experience just to let them know you have more money than them.
    Jura23 wrote: »
    Nope. I disagree. If you change traits more often than you can afford. just use purple gear.

This is a rude and inconsiderate thing to say. The transition from purple to gold does not change the fact that I have to buy 150 ancestor silk to even make a white piece.
    Edited by Cadelay on November 16, 2015 6:45PM
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I go through gold like water. I have a full suite of crafters and my guild store moves a lot of the vast amount of crap, I generate, for me. The economy is very strong on PC in NA.

Still a VR who is having a problem with a couple of grand is unusual, to say the least.

I have screwed up lots of very expensive things. Idiot that I am.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just this last week I made a new weapon, upgraded it to Gold and only then realized it was the wrong VR Rank (I made VR9 instead of VR13. Grrrr
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Just this last week I made a new weapon, upgraded it to Gold and only then realized it was the wrong VR Rank (I made VR9 instead of VR13. Grrrr

Did ya get one back? Eight gone but I will usually get the one temper back. ;)
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »

Did ya get one back? Eight gone but I will usually get the one temper back. ;)

Yea, I got one of the 8 back, but still. It was such a Dooohhh moment.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Cadelay
    Cadelay
    ✭✭✭
    I go through gold like water. I have a full suite of crafters and my guild store moves a lot of the vast amount of crap, I generate, for me. The economy is very strong on PC in NA.

Still a VR who is having a problem with a couple of grand is unusual, to say the least.

I'm a master crafter with most motifs and make all my gear myself.

Ancestor silk is averaging 532g a piece right now on my Master Merchant with data from 3 big trading guilds that I am in. If I make one v16 piece for 150 silk, that's 79,800 gold for just the white piece.

Add onto that the mats for purple (167g per Elegant Lining x 4) and gold (1840g per Dreugh Wax x 8) upgrades, and I'm looking at 95,188g to make or remake a piece. That is not counting the cost of the purple or gold enchant.

How is almost 100k "a couple of grand?" I can only spare that much gold to make one piece once in a while, I absolutely cannot afford to remake pieces. I have around 600k gold and I make gold very slowly (I have around 90 items on my guild stores that aren't selling), and I would completely lose all my gold if I was spendy.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm a master crafter with most motifs and make all my gear myself.

Ancestor silk is averaging 532g a piece right now on my Master Merchant with data from 3 big trading guilds that I am in. If I make one v16 piece for 150 silk, that's 79,800 gold for just the white piece.

Add onto that the mats for purple (167g per Elegant Lining x 4) and gold (1840g per Dreugh Wax x 8) upgrades, and I'm looking at 95,188g to make or remake a piece. That is not counting the cost of the purple or gold enchant.

How is almost 100k "a couple of grand?" I can only spare that much gold to make one piece once in a while, I absolutely cannot afford to remake pieces. I have around 600k gold and I make gold very slowly (I have around 90 items on my guild stores that aren't selling), and I would completely lose all my gold if I was spendy.

You said: "Having to spend several thousand gold to switch a trait on a piece of my gold v16 gear"

To me several thousand is nowhere near 100K.

Silk is easy, I have several hundred just going through the motions. Now the Rubio Leather is hard to come by.

I have a suite of master crafters who turn in 11 writs a day. I have almost 9 traits everywhere and I can make any normal style, including all the special ones, Barbaric, Primal etc. I have 2 Glass and 2 Dwarven I can make, and that comes with time. I have not sought them at all.

I am saving for my VR14 who can be VR16 anytime really, and one reason we are going slow is so I'll have what I need for her. She will need 6 Medium and the Leather will be a problem. I'll put my usual traits on my usual pieces so it's unlikely I'll make your mistake. And that is what it is, an unfortunate mistake. You don't get to change the rules over this kind of thing.
    Edited by poodlemasterb16_ESO on November 17, 2015 12:45AM
  • Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    They should make the gear upgradable to the next level within the bounds of the crafting material,
  • Shadowshire
    Shadowshire
    ✭✭✭✭

Eh.... as far as I know, currently there is no way to remove an item trait after it is created, nor to add a trait to an item after it is created. Neither can you "upgrade" its Item Level (which would at least require more of the crafting material from which it was made).

So yes, after you've made a piece of gear, you cannot change it. Then again, my avatars have not reached Level 50 on any craft, but I don't see any option(s) on the UI to remove a trait from, or to add a trait to, an existing piece of armor or a weapon.

That said, Bethesda could just add an "Alter Trait" ability to the crafting UI for blacksmiths, clothiers, and woodworkers, respectively, for example:

(1) After you select a piece of gear to alter, if it has a trait, then you may remove the one it has.

(2) If the piece you choose doesn't have a trait, then you may add any trait, provided that your avatar has the requisite experience level to create the piece, and the requisite material for the trait which you want is on hand.

(3) The Alter Trait passive would require investing one Skill Point to activate it with an item level range of 1 - 10, and more Skill Points must be added to increase the item level of the gear which the avatar can alter (e.g., by 10 levels per Skill Point).

There may be simpler ways to introduce altering traits on gear, but the one that I have described is consistent with the other aspects of current crafting UI for blacksmiths, clothiers, and woodworkers.

Edited by Shadowshire on November 20, 2015 10:54PM
    --- Shadowshire .......... ESO Plus on PC NA with Windows 7 Pro SP1

nil carborundum illegitimi