Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Help me respec my Templar?!

Prim0rdialOoze
Prim0rdialOoze
Soul Shriven
Hello all!
I started a redguard templar about a month or so ago but I didn't really plan it out ahead of time at all. I've improvised my build up to level 25 but combat is really starting to feel sluggish now so I've decided to respec and try for something a bit more streamlined. I was hoping for some input from all the old pros here

-- primarily PvE solo
-- mainly dps (tho I'm open to throwing a few points into healing for mp purposes)
-- using both some magicka and stamina
-- sword and board for one weapon set
-- heavy armour

So I'm looking for input on how to respec my 40 ability points and a ratio for attribute points. I really like 'biting jabs' so I've already spent 2 points on that.

Thanks so much!

Best Answers

• NinjaMyk
    NinjaMyk
    ✭✭✭
    As a redguard you have amazing stamina based passives so you want to stack your stamina to increase your damage on stamina abilitys that I would recommend sticking to because the redguard passives synergise well with stamina based dps.

Also consider some medium armor either switching to 5 med 2 heavy as the passives help a lot with Stam dps or sticking with mainly heavy and wearing 2 med for a slight boost to sustain and a more tanks feel.

If you go this route you choices for second weapon are 2h, dual wield or bow each with its own pros and cons a quick explanation is:

2h
    Pros - high single target dps with uppercut and its morphs specifically wreking blow. Gap closer. Momentum for heals and 20% weapon damage buff

Cons - not the best aoe attacks. No ranged abilitys

Dual wield
    Pros - steel tornado is a really good aoe. Hidden dagger adds a range attack and 20% damage buff

Cons - no stamina based heal. No real gap closer. No real execute

Bow
    Pros - ranged dps. Lots of poison based effects including healing debuff. Decent aoe attacks. Snipe can hit really hard

Cons - no 20% damage buff. No real execute. No stamina based heal

Obviously it not that simple but it's a good place to begin maybe try them all and see what you like feel of.

Your class and world abilitys can fill in gaps that weapons have such as toppling charge for gap close. Rushed ceremony/breath of life or vigor (pvp assault tree) for heals.

Answer ✓
  • NinjaMyk
    NinjaMyk
    ✭✭✭
    Don't be afraid to have moves on your bar that cost magicka as its a whole resource pool going to waste if you don't. Rushed ceremony and its morphs for example is a great oh **** button even if your not magic based. Especially if it's the only move that costs magicka on your bar you can empty your whole pool getting back to full health. Sun shield is another nice panic button if you go the tankier route as it scales off health and that will use your magicka pool. If you need a gap closer toppling charge is great sure it's damage will not be massive but it gets you to your target quickly.

Edit: p.s I recently rolled a redguard Templar and I choose 5 med armor 2 heavy and sword and shield + dual wield my reasoning was I have most bases covered over my class abilitys and then two weapons

Gap closer - shield charge
    Heals - rushed ceremony morphed to BoL
    AoE - steel tornado and jabs
    Healing debuff - reverberating bash
    Ranged - flying dagger and binding javelin
    Projectile defence - defensive stance

I'm missing a stamina based execute but I'm hoping radiant oppression will work as my magicka usually full so should do decent damage.

Edited by NinjaMyk on November 13, 2015 10:07AM
    Answer ✓
  • Prim0rdialOoze
    Prim0rdialOoze
    Soul Shriven
    Ninja - thanks for the detailed, thoughtful response. I will take all of that info into account, especially mixing up my armour. I liked the idea of balancing magicka and stamina, but I'm realizing that its more pragmatic to just stack that stamina.