Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lighting Patch

Lexxypwns
Lexxypwns
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
So I know a lot of people feel like The lighting patch was the downfall of eso pvp, the start of crazy lag and frame rate issues for many of us. Given ZoS's recent desire to experiment with campaign rule sets and such, any chance we could get a PVP server with that "improvement" removed? I'm not suggesting anything long term, yet, however, given the overwhelming number of people who started experiencing issues after you released this patch, I would think that 1 weekend of testing to confirm or deny this is the issue isn't too much to ask.

I'm not trying to be critical, but, it seems exceedingly dumb that we have so much lag anytime we engage in "large scale" pvp that drew many of us to this game in the first place. Please just test this possible fix that's been suggested by your player base over9000 times. It gets harder and harder to want to play this game when its just a huge gear grind to get BiS, go do endgame pvp with said gear, then get lag that makes the game totally unplayable
  • danno8
    danno8
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lexxypwns wrote: »
    So I know a lot of people feel like The lighting patch was the downfall of eso pvp, the start of crazy lag and frame rate issues for many of us. Given ZoS's recent desire to experiment with campaign rule sets and such, any chance we could get a PVP server with that "improvement" removed? I'm not suggesting anything long term, yet, however, given the overwhelming number of people who started experiencing issues after you released this patch, I would think that 1 weekend of testing to confirm or deny this is the issue isn't too much to ask.

I'm not trying to be critical, but, it seems exceedingly dumb that we have so much lag anytime we engage in "large scale" pvp that drew many of us to this game in the first place. Please just test this possible fix that's been suggested by your player base over9000 times. It gets harder and harder to want to play this game when its just a huge gear grind to get BiS, go do endgame pvp with said gear, then get lag that makes the game totally unplayable

The fix that went in with the "Lighting Patch" (or 1.3) was anti-cheat mechanisms that ended up not playing nicely with some other systems in the game. In short, even though everyone calls it "The Lighting Patch", the problems had nothing to do with lighting.

So with that said what people are asking for is for ZoS to remove anti-cheat mechanisms. I'm not sure a lot of people know that, which is why they are upset that ZoS hasn't removed the changes in that patch.

Perhaps the anti-cheat code needs to be further optimized, but like many others I think a far better way to address lag is first to try simpler solutions, such as killing AoE caps and see how those go instead. Lag is caused by bunched up zerg balls spamming AoE's and having AoE spammed at them. And the diminishing damage calculation causes many more server calculations than would be necessary without caps.
  • Lexxypwns
    Lexxypwns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I do agree that removal of AoE cap is a much superior solution, although it is one they have repeatedly ignored, so I figured the best option was to try to ask for something "new" instead of the same old complaints. If they don't know that AoE cap is garbage by now they're never going to learn.

Also, I think its pretty laughable if in fact anti-cheating mechanics are causing the issues given how ZoS openly allows players to exploit any and all bugs they put in their game, out in the open, without any repercussions.
    Edited by Lexxypwns on November 12, 2015 4:47PM
  • Rescorla_ESO
    Rescorla_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fully agree that removing the AOE caps would go a long way to improving PVP since AOE caps reward zerg tactics. Remove AOE caps and you then punish zerg tactics and force people to spread out.
  • Tors
    Tors
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Untill people stop treating the cheating kids as heros, all MMORPGs will be hamstrung with the need for additional checks for cheats

Deal with it, this isnt Zenemaxs fault
    Edited by Tors on November 12, 2015 4:54PM
    Better late Than Pregnant....
    The shadow cabinet, a group of people who pretend to have jobs they do not actually have

EU PC - Azura's Star
    Decimation Elite - Raid Jester
  • Merlight
    Merlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's in the rendering pipeline, no way they could switch it on/off for selected campaigns, it's all or nothing. If anything, they could experiment with it on the PTS. Although I doubt that will ever happen, first because many other changes happened after that and they may be unable to revert some old stuff that further work was based upon, second because PTS is nothing like Live (even if you try and invite people to "stress test"). As for other changes... some time after the lighting patch and after they sorted-out 2fps combat, let's say between updates 3 and 5 I noticed the client stopped leaking my GPU memory (I'm not kidding; playing on Linux/OpenGL post-launch it would easily eat almost all of my 2GB at medium settings in 1-2 hours, after some fixes it's been floating around 500MB; until Orsinium, which brought new gfx glitches and leaks for me).
    EU ‣ Wabbajack nostalgic ‣ Blackwater Blade defender ‣ Kyne wanderer
    The offspring of the root of all evil in ESO by DeanTheCat
    Why ESO needs a monthly subscription
    When an MMO is designed around a revenue model rather than around fun, it doesn’t have a long-term future.Richard A. Bartle
    Their idea of transparent, at least when it comes to communication, bears a striking resemblance to a block of coal.lordrichter
    ... in the balance of power between the accountants and marketing types against the artists, developers and those who generally want to build and run a good game then that balance needs to always be in favour of the latter - because the former will drag the game into the ground for every last bean they can squeeze out of it.Santie Claws