Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Questions about drink buffs

PsylverRaven
PsylverRaven
✭✭✭
It's very obvious when food buffs are active and when they expire.

I have recently started using drinks and am quite pleased with the results. However, I have found myself in dire straits on multiple occasions because the buff expired. I have two questions.

What is the visual indicator for an active drink buff?

What is the visual alert for an expired drink buff?
Cold Thunder

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
- Albert Einstein

Best Answer

• Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    They used to yes.

One of the recent patches made the bars fade with any of the persistent Food/Beverage effects.
    Edited by Drax76 on November 10, 2015 3:45AM
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
    40 Breton Templar Healer/Tank
    Answer ✓
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't think there is really a visual indicator for food and drink buffs. The game does play a UI sound when the effect wears off, but that is easy to miss in the middle of doing things in the game.

The best thing you can do is invest in the passives that increase the duration of Food or Drink effects and then, set a timer. I know one guy who uses a kitchen timer for his buffs in one game he plays. He sets it to the duration, then just hits the button when he takes the potion (different game so that is what they are called in that game)

I mean you get like 30 minutes to 2 hours, plus passive buffs, so your not needing to quaff these all the time.

Green 30 Minutes
    Blue Hour
    Purple 2 Hours
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• PsylverRaven
    PsylverRaven
    ✭✭✭
    The stat bars for health, magic and stamina double in size for food and pop on screen and shrink back to normal size when it expires.
    Cold Thunder

Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.
    - Albert Einstein
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    For Beverages, the stat bars have a set of moving arrowheads. For Health they move from the center outward both left and right, Magica/Stamina the arrowheads move towards the edges of the screen.

http://uesp.net/wiki/Online:Combat at the bottom of the page for a graphical view.
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drax76 wrote: »
    For Beverages, the stat bars have a set of moving arrowheads. For Health they move from the center outward both left and right, Magica/Stamina the arrowheads move towards the edges of the screen.

So those bars are constantly moving for the 30 minutes to 2 hours the drink is in effect? I have only tried a drink once or twice but did not really pay attention to the bars. I usually noshed on some food soon after.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• PsylverRaven
    PsylverRaven
    ✭✭✭
    I noticed the bar fade, but didn't connect the dots. I've been a foodie all this time. I recently dusted off my sorc and began drinking heavily - only the good stuff - blues and purples. He never seems to run out of resources. I'll check out the fade tonight. Thank you. I really didn't want something on my desk labeled 'ESO TIMER DO NOT TOUCH!'.
    Cold Thunder

- Albert Einstein
  • Brrrofski
    Brrrofski
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I hope they bring that back.

With they's always allow health bars up.

It's incredibly difficult in a pledge to tell if you have a shield up or not
  • Ysulyan
    Ysulyan
    ✭✭
    If you don't want to use alarm clocks, you can have this addon to keep a quick track on all buffs right on your HUD. While it does not alert you, having an active bar next to where your eyes are focusing makes your mind stay alert on the timer: http://www.esoui.com/downloads/info655-Srendarr-AuraBuffampDebuffTrackerupdated.html
    Edited by Ysulyan on November 12, 2015 11:58AM
    Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
  • Tito86
    Tito86
    ✭✭✭
    You just press 'C' and at the bottom of the page you'll see your active states and buffs, there's also an info when it goes off.
    I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow to the knee.
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am SO GLAD they removed the always on health/magicka/stamina bars from food buffs. It was never that way in the beginning on PC (well, maybe it was in Beta), then they introduced them on PC, much to everyone's ire. It got introduced on consoles then, too, much to my own ire and I'm glad when they finally removed them. Same with the drinks.

They do increase in length/show the arrow "thing" when you first ingest/imbibe and then pop up again when the effect wears off. Hard to notice in combat, sure, but it was WAY ANNOYING to have them always on while running around farming/questing.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    if you're on PC another addon that helps with noticing when your drink or food expires is "OmNomNom!" it shows a customizable text (you type your own message) under your compass when food or drink runs out. It's much more obvious while in battle, but I don't find it obnoxious either.

(I'm also reeeeeally glad they removed the always on attribute bars!)
    Edited by Aelthwyn on November 13, 2015 2:32AM
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    Drax76 wrote: »

So those bars are constantly moving for the 30 minutes to 2 hours the drink is in effect? I have only tried a drink once or twice but did not really pay attention to the bars. I usually noshed on some food soon after.

Before the patch they did indeed remain on the screen as long as ANY buff or debuff was active.
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank