Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The PlayStation™ Network is currently experiencing a service interruption. Please check here for status updates: https://status.playstation.com/en-us/

[SPOILER] Orsinium - A Question of Succession - Railroading for Orcish Player Characters

Eiagra
Eiagra
✭✭✭✭✭
I submitted this using the in-game report, but here's a copy:

An orcish character is railroaded into becoming chief of the Shatul clan, even if that character has no reason to, feels one of the contenders is a good choice, and/or understands that a 'wandering hero' character would mean the clan would be without leadership most of the time.

Quest Path:
- Tell Yazara the truth (I chose not to lie, as I feel there is no cause for shame as long as one adheres to honesty).
- No option to just take the blade and progress to the next quest stage -- as an orc, you are FORCED to become a contender to advance the quest. (Not happy with that either, but the "if they can win despite this, they deserve to be chief" aspect struck me as a good enough validation.)
- Replace one of the blades (I left Laurig's intact, as I felt he was a wiser choice).
- Watch the fight.
- No option to leave the temple and allow Laurig to become chief, you are FORCED to kill him to advance the quest.

I am not happy with this. My orcish character had no desire to become chieftain of the Shatul clan. Laurig struck me as the better of the two (less arrogant, more experienced, learned some hard lessons, overall tempered with wisdom). Being a "hero" character, that also means that I am on the move away from Shatul, so they would effectively have no leadership.

This quest is wrong. While it's awesome that orcs get a different quest path from non-orcs for this quest, that does not mean they should be railroaded into that chain of decisions in order to progress. Especially if it doesn't make sense for that character to make that particular chain of decisions.

This is more than a little immersion-breaking, and I'm wondering if there's some missing quest triggers that prevent orcs from choosing the "normal" quest path.
      In verity.
  • Sonic260
    Sonic260
    ✭✭
    I also play an Orc, and I can say with absolute certainty that you are not forced to become the Chief of Shatul. This option only appears if you decide to tell Yazara the truth about Uulgamesh. If you keep silent about that, she doesn't get upset that one of the contenders is a woman, and the dialog option to volunteer as chief never even shows up.

But what made me sick about this quest is that I'm forced to go against my Orc's nature and rig the fight so one side wins.
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had a feeling that may have been the case, but the quest bugged out after I abandoned it to try and figure this all out.

And the "overcome this obstacle" spin is a little iffy for a justification, but I was willing to let it slide... sort of. It's not exactly ideal or honest in any respect, one way or another.
          In verity.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was disappointed that, as a Breton, I was forced to choose between the two candidates. Fixing a fight goes against my beliefs and those of the Orcs that I am trying to help.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was able to complete the quest, and as an orc, lying is the only way to avoid becoming railroaded into chiefdom.

Not exactly optimal, but I can fudge it and say I told the truth and just plain left the temple after. :P Rather immersion-wrenching to have to go through that rigamarole.
          In verity.
  • tengri
    tengri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On the other hand... that is pretty much the only quest in the whole *** game that takes the player race into account for anything and here presents different options for Orc.

At least that's something new and rather unique. Player race should have played a much bigger role in a lot of the "old" quests, too.

• Almakor
    Almakor
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what happens with the other options?
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    As an orc, you have three options available to you: Help Laurig become chief, help Ushruka become chief, or become chief of Clan Shatul yourself. Other races do not have the last option.

Essentially, this is a superficial difference, though I suppose if you become Chief you might be able to attend the moot? Since I didn't take that path, I can't be certain. I may do that on a character that it would make sense to do that with.

Either way, you have a grateful chief, and can convince them to attend the moot.
    Edited by Eiagra on December 19, 2015 12:20AM
          In verity.
  • randolphbenoit
    randolphbenoit
    ✭✭✭✭
    I played as a FEMALE vampire ORC but was not allowed to be a chief yet you help Ushruka become chief. Why was there no option to challenge her? ZOS that bit unfair! Equal Orc RIGHTS!!!!
    the NeXus Guild (NA-DC-Crafters) contact @randolphbenoit - Currently Allies to Fairy Tail of Tamriel (Social) and Brave Kore (DC PvP). https://twitter.com/randolphbenoit

Saltrice - (Salt tolerant rice) Saltrice, pronounced just like it looks is, in fact, a kind of rice that can grow in paddies of either fresh or brackish water.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Interesting, My Orcs never got this far. It sounds like a lot of fun though. :)
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • Tapio75
    Tapio75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This quests starts to feel *** on the moment i dont have "No deal" option when talking to Ushruka. It goes against my Nord´s nature to make deals with people who hide themselves for what ever reason plsu forced to make a deal instead of just "Lets see" is purely bad design..

In the other hand, have to give credit for the quest that actually notices your race in rthe game. Wish my individuyal skill line selections, race and gender would play bigger role in general. Also id like to be able to be of more general factions like one of the guilds or like Reacmen or something like that.
    >>PC-EU Mostly PVE. Played since BETA<<
  • Enslaved
    Enslaved
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sonic260 wrote: »
    I also play an Orc, and I can say with absolute certainty that you are not forced to become the Chief of Shatul. This option only appears if you decide to tell Yazara the truth about Uulgamesh. If you keep silent about that, she doesn't get upset that one of the contenders is a woman, and the dialog option to volunteer as chief never even shows up.

But what made me sick about this quest is that I'm forced to go against my Orc's nature and rig the fight so one side wins.

Yeah, its much more breton way than Orsimer way...