The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is it true that your character in Oblivion becomes Sheogorath later?

Digielf
Digielf
✭✭✭
In the Shivering Isles expansion, you find out that the current Sheogorath is actually the Daedric prince Jyggalag. Jyggalag threatened the other Daedric princes, so they turned him into Sheogorath. However, every thousand years or something, the grey march occurs and Sheogorath becomes Jyggalag again and is allowed to invade the Shivering Isles.The Hero of Kvatch (your oblivion character) gets involved as part of the Shivering Isles and defeats Jyggalag. This breaks the curse on him and allows him to stay as Jyggalag instead of becoming Sheogorath. An then the Hero of Kvatch is named the new Sheogorath.

So that means the Sheogorath that you meet in Skyrim is acctualy your oblivion character, not only by the events that happened but from all the references that he says during the quests.

52898-1-1397260902.jpg
  • AngryNord
    AngryNord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    That's an interpretation, yes
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Your half right OP right on the Cusp :)

The best way to explain this is a passage from the Book of the Dragonborn:
    Because of this connection with the Emperors, however, the other significance of the Dragonborn has been obscured and largely forgotten by all but scholars and those of us dedicated to the service of the blessed Talos, Who Was Tiber Septim. Very few realize that being Dragonborn is not a simple matter of heredity - being the blessing of Akatosh Himself, it is beyond our understanding exactly how and why it is bestowed. Those who become Emperor and light the Dragonfires are surely Dragonborn - the proof is in the wearing of the Amulet and the lighting of the Fires. But were they Dragonborn and thus able to do these things - or was the doing the sign of the blessing of Akatosh descending upon them? All that we can say is that it is both, and neither - a divine mystery.

To sum it up, he is the COC yet he isn't the COC....both answers are correct....what was left of the COC was absorbed by the Shivering Isle's thus becoming Sheogorath, yet the COC still exists in the Isles....that underlined part of the Book of the Dragonborn is the best explanation for the situation concering mantling :)
    Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on November 6, 2015 1:26PM
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak

• Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's written ambiguously so you can choose if that's the case. I like to think it is the case for my Oblivion character, I even have a bit of a story arc within a story I'm writing planned to include that eventually, although the time it takes place would mean they haven't yet completely lost their pevious identity. It's kind of sad in a way, if you think about it. Immortality but loss of identity. They might as well be dead, but not dead.
  • Luigi_Vampa
    Luigi_Vampa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It is one way to look at it, but it is not canon that it happens. For example, Michael Kirkbride doesn't believe that it is true, but he kind of hates the Shivering Isles DLC. It is up to your interpretation. Whatever personal head canon you want, Bethesda hasn't and probably won't ever say that it is absolutely true or not.
    PC/EU DC
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Like a lot of the lore, its left up to your interpretation. Is it a factual accounting of events? A ploy to drive the hero mad? How much is true and how much is an illusion? Its up to you :)
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Typhoios wrote: »
    It is one way to look at it, but it is not canon that it happens. For example, Michael Kirkbride doesn't believe that it is true, but he kind of hates the Shivering Isles DLC. It is up to your interpretation. Whatever personal head canon you want, Bethesda hasn't and probably won't ever say that it is absolutely true or not.

There is personal truth... then there is what is actually true (in the lore). Beliefs do not create facts.

Like... I made this chart as an interpretation of TES pantheons... There are MANY associations I made here that people disagree with. :wink:

monomyth_of_the_elder_scrolls_by_gidorick-d92pik0.jpg
    Edited by Gidorick on November 6, 2015 2:16PM
    What ESO really needs is an Auction Horse.
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

Want more crazy ideas? Check out my Concept Repository!
  • Pallmor
    Pallmor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gidorick wrote: »

There is personal truth... then there is what is actually true (in the lore). Beliefs do not create facts.

Like... I made this chart as an interpretation of TES pantheons... There are MANY associations I made here that people disagree with. :wink:

VERY nice chart, BTW. I'm going to save a copy for reference myself. The TES lore is still confusing as hell to me, even though I've been playing since Morrowind. Makes me wish they would all become monotheists, just to avoid the multiple layers of confusion.
  • Robo_Hobo
    Robo_Hobo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gidorick

We all know Akatosh and all of his other names are really just different names for Alkosh, who's just a really big cat. Anyone who believes otherwise is sadly misguided, or unwilling to accept the truth. Do not worry though, Khajiit do not blame them for misspelling his name, or thinking he is something he is not - we just sit and nod while they preach their lies, while holding back our laughs.
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Robo_Hobo wrote: »
    @Gidorick

We all know Akatosh and all of his other names are really just different names for Alkosh, who's just a really big cat. Anyone who believes otherwise is sadly misguided, or unwilling to accept the truth. Do not worry though, Khajiit do not blame them for misspelling his name, or thinking he is something he is not - we just sit and nod while they preach their lies, while holding back our laughs.

Just because they are envious of His luxurious fur they think they can take Him for their own...
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ha replace the god of schemes HA!
    I'll rather have cheese
  • Artjuh90
    Artjuh90
    ✭✭✭✭✭

cause some are plain wrong in that chart.
    for example start with the orc's
    they were aldermer who worshiped trinimac. boethiah eat trinimac which led to the creation of malcath. this was a corrupted version of trinimac and cause of this corruption the orc became 'corrupted' aswell transforming them in to the orc (or orsmer)

brenton are part imperial and altmer.

and some races are missing like the akaviri/ Tsaesci
  • Gern_Verkheart
    Gern_Verkheart
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you do, at the end of the "Shivering Isles" expansion. Sheogorath in TES:V Skyrim even comments on it.
  • Tannakaobi
    Tannakaobi
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice art work!
  • Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artjuh90 wrote: »
    cause some are plain wrong in that chart.
    for example start with the orc's
    they were aldermer who worshiped trinimac. boethiah eat trinimac which led to the creation of malcath. this was a corrupted version of trinimac and cause of this corruption the orc became 'corrupted' aswell transforming them in to the orc (or orsmer)

For some of the lore associations you have to look a bit more closely @Artjuh90

The black dashed line crossing from the Aedra over to Malacath reads "The Corruption of Trinimac". That takes care of Boethiah consuming Trinimac and the creation of Malak.

The black dashed line descending from the Daedric parchment on the right connecting to the Orsimer pendant also reads "The Corruption of Trinimac" indicating the impact that corruption had on the creation of the Orsimer.

Dotted lines are "influence lines" solid lines are "ascendant lines"
    brenton are part imperial and altmer.

There is a line from the Aldmer and from the Nedes/Atmorans (aka... the wanderers) that converges on the Bretons... indicating lineages from those lines created the Bretons.
    and some races are missing like the akaviri/ Tsaesci

I didn't include any of the races outside of tamriel... partly for room, but mostly because we know nothing of how they came to be. :wink:
    Edited by Gidorick on November 6, 2015 3:22PM
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol @Robo_Hobo. quite right. When I began the chart I started with the idea that "If a God is worshiped, that god is either Aedra or Daedra". Of course, that thought was proven false and I made some concessions as I learned more about the lore and discussed it with fellow lovers of lore on this forum.

Twas a fun couple of weeks! :sweat_smile:
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Gidorick
    Gidorick
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you do, at the end of the "Shivering Isles" expansion. Sheogorath in TES:V Skyrim even comments on it.

Wouldn't it have been cool if Bethesda did a thing where if you had your oblivion save on your HDD Skyrim would read that save and make the Sheogorath in Skyrim look like your character in Oblivion?
    That's right... Horse.
    Click HERE to discuss.

• Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Wouldn't it have been cool if Bethesda did a thing where if you had your oblivion save on your HDD Skyrim would read that save and make the Sheogorath in Skyrim look like your character in Oblivion?

Referencing the graymarch offhandedly and bringing up a few vague hints about that particular eras one (the most recent) is hardly confirmation. But that would have been fun.
  • Spacemonkey
    Spacemonkey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the whole COC into Sheogorath is the same dilemna as in Morrowind where it's somewhat ambiguous as to whether the main character IS Neverar Reborn (Reincarnation) or simply emulating him as a figurehead in order to deal with the Blight Crisis. You get conflicting point of views from the NPCs throughout the game (Azura/Dagoth Ur vs Caius Cosades/Vivec to name the most obvious imo) and you are basically left to interpret it as you see fit.

I like to think you aren't. Because the backpath is @)(% awesome, and you can deal with the penalty easily with the soultrap glitch (which I like to think is sacrificing my character's SOUL for power) - and it lets you go around the game thinking half the characters are religious morons. - Including Azura. (Pretty cool playing with all the cues pointing to you being better than a Daedra :P - in a game where they are correctly depicted as unbeatable/immortal) - also you end up being able to lift Stendarr's Hammer. ..... dammit, Morrowind making me babble again