Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Character Advice/Guidance

Tawni
Tawni
Ok, so firstly.......sorry complete ESO noob here. I have been s WoW player up til now but wanted to try something new and have heard good things about ESO.

I am in the process of downloading the game, but my router broke do am taking some time to read through the forums, but I am a little overwhelmed by characters. You see I am used to being able to pick a race and a class and that it is it, where as eso seems a lot more flexible in class enabling you to tweak them to your own needs and play style.

Now I ask my question, could I get some pointers on what might be a suitable starting character for me (I know really I just need to play them and see how I go).
So, I like ranged........magic and bows, the ability to self heal but not a healer role. I am more dps and prefer ranged. Open to all suggestions but just looking for some pointers do that I can focus a bit more on reading the right posts/guides/articles.

Many thanks in advance.
Criede ~ Ko'ki ~ Yysara ~ Ixehell ~ Takarii
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi,

As a person preferring range and spells you have loads of options,

I myself also like range therfore my first char was an altmer sorcerer,
    followed by a sneaky NB using bow/dualwield and 2H,
    i followed this up by an up in your face orc DK,
    then changed my NB to using magicka and love that but missed the bow and range so i created another
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anyone can go ranged with spells, but sorcerer is probably best at it.

What you should decide is what you think is coolest:

Dragonknight: Fire and Defense
    Nightblade: Shadow, selfhealing/burst
    Sorcerer: Lightning, mobility and burst
    Templar: Light, Healing and defense

The Nightblade has a setup focused on their Siphoning skill line which provides some very useful and strong selfhealing.
    They are also awesome with bow, but loose some selfhealing that way (the siphoning is magicka based, bow is stamina).

Sorcerer has awesome ranged pew pew spells that hit like a truck, but only develop their mobility in the later game.

Dragonknight is more designed to rush into the frey and control their opponents, but can be built to effectively use ranged also. This will demand more of you as a player.

Templars are in a weird spot right now imo, but can also be built to do great ranged damage.

The thing is, as you know from your previous game, class balance will go up and down and the class that's strong now might be weak next patch.

I would recommend you check out some class videos on youtube simply to get an idea of what you think look the coolest to you. Then you can build from there.

Feel free to ask further questions along the way. You can tag me @Jitterbug in your post to summon me if you wish.

Welcome aboard!
  • Tawni
    Tawni
    Thanks guys, that will certainly give me some starting places to look :)
  • Fat-Larry-Makes-All
    Well self-heals and high DPS is inevitably going to be a compromise, but it's definitely the Templar that gets closest to that in my opinion. We got puncturing sweeps, a instant self-healing "Oh Bugger" button and the Jezus beam! Life's good as a Templar.
    Fat Argonian Cook.
  • Tawni
    Tawni
    I shall certainly be reading and watching as much as i can before starting but I think what I shall do is have a go at a magic ranged and a stamina ranged and just see what I like.

New router has turned up so I can start downloading ESO :)
  • Krainor1974
    Krainor1974
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you in PC/NA/DC
    Feel free to contact me in game, I'm always helping new players
    @KrainorBlackthorne