The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Inner Light or Sea of Flames?

Skiserony
Skiserony
✭✭✭
Hey guys,

I was wondering, are there clear results for which one is better now for the DK? Which one is going to be the most helpful in the solo arena?

Thanks
  • MrDerrikk
    MrDerrikk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The main reason for having Sea of Flames at all would be with Skoria, so it depends on whether you are using that or not.
    I have departed into the great unknown that is outside the game and the forums, and wish you well in your Tamriel adventures!

DC - PC - EU - Australian
    VR11 Mrderrikk: Breton Stam Sorc (Vamp) | VR16 Derrikkinblack: Dunmer Mage DK | VR3 Cuts-Until-It-Dies: Argonian Magicka NB

Oh look, Anook.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use sea of flames over inner light.... just prefer it
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• MrDerrikk
    MrDerrikk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Johngo0036 wrote: »
    I use sea of flames over inner light.... just prefer it

As do I, it's just that looking at it from a min-max sense, it doesn't give enough magicka back to be more useful than Inner Light.
    I have departed into the great unknown that is outside the game and the forums, and wish you well in your Tamriel adventures!

VR11 Mrderrikk: Breton Stam Sorc (Vamp) | VR16 Derrikkinblack: Dunmer Mage DK | VR3 Cuts-Until-It-Dies: Argonian Magicka NB

Oh look, Anook.
  • Dracane
    Dracane
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see all Dragonknights using sea of flames.
    I myself would be using magelight though.
    Auri-El is my lord,
    Trinimac is my shield,
    Magnus is my mind.
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Use both. The crit doesn't stack but they each provide fire and forget damage.
    Edited by Armitas on November 4, 2015 11:20AM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • MrDerrikk
    MrDerrikk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Armitas wrote: »

Isn't there a bug where it does stack though?

Edit: I just tested and it seems it doesn't anymore.
    Edited by MrDerrikk on November 4, 2015 11:54AM

Oh look, Anook.
  • Wisler89
    Wisler89
    ✭✭✭
    MrDerrikk wrote: »

That was only a visual bug, the char screen showed the value as if the stacked, but in reality only one counted.

On topic: Most DKs in my guild use only Magelight. There are various reasons for this: extra Magicka provides extra damage in every situation against every mob. Using both is like playing a Togglemancer Sorc, just weaker. And most think, the extra damage from Sea of Flames is inferior to the extra Magicka and Magicka regen from Mage Light.
    Eclaire Farron, V16 Sorc
    Claire Etro, V16 NB
    Leveling a DK and Temp because I'm bored
    Server: EU - AD, Guild: Lux Dei
  • Cuyler
    Cuyler
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For strictly group PvE DD Use both. SoF adds ~500-800 passive dps....that is, you do nothing, it does damage. Inner light for the extra magicka it provides.

Now if you're talking vDSA or vMA then your going to go with inner light only so you can adds more utility to your bars, like chains, deep breath, etc.
    Edited by Cuyler on November 4, 2015 1:07PM
    Guild: STACK n BURN (gm) PC - NA
    CP 810 18 Maxed Characters:
    "How hard can u guar?" - Rafishul[/spoiler]
  • Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Wisler89 wrote: »

And most think, the extra damage from Sea of Flames is inferior to the extra Magicka and Magicka regen from Mage Light.

I feel the same way...why a universal skill is better than a class skills is beyond me. They just cannot seem to get this skill right.
    Edited by Armitas on November 4, 2015 1:42PM
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    inner light.

Mainly because I use a lot entropy to get the major prophecy and empower buff, so sea of flames cause me some troubles sometimes when launching an attack each 6 seconds and I don't want to lose an empowered attack to a puny fireball.

In lava whip builds I think it is better, ideally tanks. Can be useful for healers (if there's some DK healing there). Stealth builds, however should avoid it IMHO
    Edited by Xvorg on November 4, 2015 7:35PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • MrDerrikk
    MrDerrikk
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And most think, the extra damage from Sea of Flames is inferior to the extra Magicka and Magicka regen from Mage Light.

I feel the same way...why a universal skill is better than a class skills is beyond me. They just cannot seem to get this skill right.

I see an easy fix for this being them just buffing the amount of Magicka returned. Getting back 150 magicka when you're sitting on 35k max is very pitiful; perhaps in the 500-1k range would make it more viable?

Oh look, Anook.
  • Skiserony
    Skiserony
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm interesting. I think I'll probably go for Inner Light. Because it seems to have a bit more advantage over SoF, especially when multiple mobs are around. It also has better passives while those of SoF doesn't really improve anything. And it could take your Empower buff away, didn't think of that before. The magicka return is also that small it's almost going to do nothing.

It's a shame, because I really think Sea of Flames is an awesome skill, but yeah...

Thanks guys.

• Armitas
    Armitas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I see an easy fix for this being them just buffing the amount of Magicka returned. Getting back 150 magicka when you're sitting on 35k max is very pitiful; perhaps in the 500-1k range would make it more viable?

It would make it more viable yeah, but I think the problem is deeper than that. A class skill should far outstripe a universal skill, if it doesn't surpass it then we just have a skill clone wasting a slot in our class line.
    Retired.
    Nord mDK
  • Sharmony
    Sharmony
    ✭✭✭
    You use both if you want to min max your dps. If you choose one of the other you simply lower your single target and AoE dps.
    Look at any good PvE Dragonknight Youtuber (not deltia) and you'll see this is the case. I would strongly suggest Niftyy
    Edited by Sharmony on November 5, 2015 11:52AM
    @Wjleppard - EU - Sharmony Youtube
    Holyfire - V16 Stamina Templar | Auriels Bow - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmony - V16 Magicka Templar | Flaming Rose - V16 Magicka Dragonknight | Rejuvenation - V16 Magicka Nightblade | Dora The (Explorer Title) - V16 Magicka Sorcerer | Critjiit - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Just Hold Block - V16 Stamina Dragonknight | Stormburst - V16 Stamina Sorcerer | Ashenbourne - V16 Magicka Templar | Swims-At-Speed - V16 Magicka Templar | Sharmonknee - V16 Stamina Nightblade | Sharmoney - V16 Magicka Warden
    Guild Affiliations: Hodor, Travelling Merchant, Aetherius Trade, Golden Goose.
    Previous Affiliations: GM of Well-Fitted, Almost Heroes, Kill All, Don't Die, Exile, Sigma Draconis, Legio Mortum