The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Orsinium - I need help with the quest "Blood on a King's Hands"

Ebert1988
Ebert1988
✭✭
I simply can't find any clues to what the 3 library pillars should be set to?? I read all the books in there. What can I do to find the secret passage???!
Edited by Ebert1988 on November 3, 2015 5:57PM
  • Ebert1988
    Ebert1988
    ✭✭
    After using about 100 combinations.. The answer is wolf (left), hammer (right), owl (upstairs).
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The important bookcases to read are Fiction and Wrothgar Clans. One tells you that the Chief was guarded on the left by Clan X, the right by Clan Y, and above by Clan Z. The other tells you what symbology Clan X, Y and Z used.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • hmr13.76preeb18_ESO
  • Allister101_ESO
    Allister101_ESO
    Soul Shriven
    Man, I don't usually look for the answers outside of the games for answers but this one was ridiculous! I was stuck for at least 40 minutes, reading all the books in the library.
  • Chufu
    Chufu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Is the quest buggy? I set all 3 pillars, but nothing happens O.o
  • KewaG
    KewaG
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks @Ebert1988 and @Enodoc, I had quite a time trying to figure this one out. In the end I guess I should've just stopped to read the books. Oh well, its done now. Thanks!
    Nerf RNG! Nerf BoP! Buff Everything else!
    She won't leave me because I'm too ugly to kiss goodbye...
    *@KewaG - Steam and ESO. Write ESO Steam player in my comments if you want to be Steam friends.
    * PC/NA Megasever
    * Ebonheart Pact - Mostly
    * ESO is my first MMO
    * I like group dungeons
    * I Haven't played much PvP
    * Main: Golam Ralas
  • medieval_TOG
    medieval_TOG
    ✭✭✭
    Chufu wrote: »
    Is the quest buggy? I set all 3 pillars, but nothing happens O.o

Think about the alignment of the top pillar.
    Oh so you play on a console? Well this is a console game after-all I suppose.
  • kupacmac
    kupacmac
    ✭✭✭
    I figured it out by reading the books, but the alignment of the pillars doesn't make logical sense.
    According to the text, Luccin (wolf) was on his right, Bragosh (Hammer) was on his left, and Ruskahr (Owl) is above. So as it works out left and right are from the perspective of the statue head. However, since that is the case, you would think that the left and right pillar symbols would face toward the statue, especially since the Owl does... but that's not how it works out. The left and right pillar symbols face away from the statue. That makes zero sense.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    kupacmac wrote: »
    I figured it out by reading the books, but the alignment of the pillars doesn't make logical sense.
    According to the text, Luccin (wolf) was on his right, Bragosh (Hammer) was on his left, and Ruskahr (Owl) is above. So as it works out left and right are from the perspective of the statue head. However, since that is the case, you would think that the left and right pillar symbols would face toward the statue, especially since the Owl does... but that's not how it works out. The left and right pillar symbols face away from the statue. That makes zero sense.
    Don't they face the oncoming enemy though? It wouldn't be a very good defence if your wingmen are staring you in the face rather than looking towards the threat.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
  • magnusthorek
    magnusthorek
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spent some time in this quest too because the answer wasn't so obvious like many of other puzzles.

I won't say the names mainly because I don't remember but one of the books talks about architecture and mentions that the solution of the puzzle is written somewhere else (also in the Library, of course).

And yes, one of the pillars makes no sense, its position is awkward but it works.

IMHO, it was a very nice touch make the puzzle this way. It prevents skippers like me to simply open and close the book.
    Edited by magnusthorek on November 30, 2015 7:24PM
    I am the very model of a scientist Salarian, I've studied species Turian, Asari, and Batarian.
    I'm quite good at genetics (as a subset of biology) because I am an expert (which I know is a tautology).
    My xenoscience studies range from urban to agrarian, I am the very model of a Scientist Salarian.
  • kadar
    kadar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would appreciate it if ZOS would look at the puzzle in this quest because I think that it is counter-intuitive if not altogether wrong.

I figured out the riddle in about 10 minutes but spent another 30 minutes trying to get the door open after I already knew the answer.

To avoid spoiling it for anyone who doesn't want to know...
    The puzzle states that Clan Luccin (the Wolf) stands to the Right, Clan Bragosh (the Hammer) to the Left, and Clan Ruskahr (Owl) is above. So the obvious answer to the riddle is Wolf--right, Hamer--left, Owl-- above. Right? Wrong.

The problem is... to open the secret door, you must turn the switches so that the WOLF is on the LEFT and the HAMMER is on the RIGHT.

The only way to figure it out without googling it (which is lame, and I don't like being forced to do it), is to somehow realize that you should look at the room from the perspective of the Giant Malacath Head AND THEN realize that the front of the switches is still the side that you can now not see (because you're now looking towards the entrance to the room from the perspective of the Malacath head)!

To expect those two thoughts to coincide together is simply ridiculous and it makes the puzzle not fun and downright frustrating.

When you're quest puzzle is so silly and counter-intuitive that you need to spend 30 minutes after already knowing the answer trying to turn the switches the right way, something needs fixing.
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would appreciate it if ZOS would look at the puzzle in this quest because I think that it is counter-intuitive if not altogether wrong.

I figured out the riddle in about 10 minutes but spent another 30 minutes trying to get the door open after I already knew the answer.

To avoid spoiling it for anyone who doesn't want to know...
    The puzzle states that Clan Luccin (the Wolf) stands to the Right, Clan Bragosh (the Hammer) to the Left, and Clan Ruskahr (Owl) is above. So the obvious answer to the riddle is Wolf--right, Hamer--left, Owl-- above. Right? Wrong.

The problem is... to open the secret door, you must turn the switches so that the WOLF is on the LEFT and the HAMMER is on the RIGHT.

The only way to figure it out without googling it (which is lame, and I don't like being forced to do it), is to somehow realize that you should look at the room from the perspective of the Giant Malacath Head AND THEN realize that the front of the switches is still the side that you can now not see (because you're now looking towards the entrance to the room from the perspective of the Malacath head)!

To expect those two thoughts to coincide together is simply ridiculous and it makes the puzzle not fun and downright frustrating.
    When you're quest puzzle is so silly and counter-intuitive that you need to spend 30 minutes after already knowing the answer trying to turn the switches the right way, something needs fixing.
    The orientation is entirely logical.
    You do it from the perspective of the head because you are taking on the part in the story of the chief. The symbols are facing the same way as the chief so that all of you are facing the enemy.
  • MaxB
    MaxB
    kupacmac wrote: »

thanks a lot. saved my time.
  • MaxB
    MaxB
    Ebert1988 wrote: »
    After using about 100 combinations.. The answer is wolf (left), hammer (right), owl (upstairs).
    thank you too. enormous help
  • found1779
    found1779
    ✭✭✭
    How did this thread have 12 thousand views but only 14 replies lol
  • Ignotus
    Ignotus
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't find the orientation at all logical either. Seems it would be much simpler if there were marks on the switches or something to indicate how to align them. I figured out the puzzle easily enough, but I'm quite frustrated that I had to come here to figure out how to align it, and I'm still not certain. I'm about to alt-tab back to the game to try to figure out the alignment. I figure, by the time I get this aligned, the moot will be long over and Kurog will have died of old age. Not a very well designed puzzle imo.
  • Moonshadow66
    Moonshadow66
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm on that part of this quest again right now, I had to google for it the first time (and ended up here), and now again. I cannot figure it out, not in the slightest, and I HATE being FORCED to read books in a foreign language, especially stuff like that. Well then, Google and/or the forum are my only way to get it done, thanks for this thread.
    Venus Ocean - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Gixia - Breton Sorceress VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Frances Demnevanni - Breton Dragonknight VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Raygee - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero
    Lady Olivieri - Breton Nightblade VR16, EP, Tamriel Hero | Donna Demnevanni - Breton Templar VR16, DC, Tamriel Hero
    Elaine Benes - Breton Templar VR16, EP | Ray McCluck - Breton Sorcerer VR16, EP
    Moonshadow Demnevanni - Dunmer Dragonknight Lvl 50, EP | Jamie Stacey - Redguard Templar Lvl 50, EP
    Caia Cosades - Imperial Nightblade, EP

• WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This is the worst puzzle in ES history.
    PC EU
  • Whilhelmina
    Whilhelmina
    ✭✭✭
    (...)

Same here. I figured the combo very fast, then wondered if the left and right where from player viewpoint or head viewpoint, then if the above pillar was supposed to look at the head or at the room, then, when nothing worked, if the left and right where supposed to look at the room or not and ended up taking 30 minutes to figure it out.
    I searched this thread to confirm the left/right position which I had right and retried everything until I finally unlocked it.

IMO, the pillars should have a slightly different appearance on the side where you have to put the right image, so you don't have to try every single direction (I even tried the left/right looking away from the statue to guard the sides) to find the right one. It's annoying.
  • vanderghast
    vanderghast
    ✭✭
    Even with the solution, .. well. I gave up. I took a look at a YouTube video to the right alignment since even with the right "choice" for each pillar, it is FAR FROM evident … which direction is concerned, not just what is left and what is right since even for the one on the upper gallery, we still need … the direction for the owl. Or, if you prefer, it is totally USELESS to know that it is the owl that we have to select, since we don't know where to face it. Doh!