Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts

Ancient Orc style mat drop mechanic same as Mercenary?

ThatNeonZebraAgain
ThatNeonZebraAgain
✭✭✭✭✭
Here is how the Ancient Orc style mat, Caserite Sand, is obtained:
The greater your knowledge of the Ancient Orc Style, the more likely you are to find Cassiterite Sand.

I'm wondering if this follows the same formula as for how the Mercenary style mat, Laurel, is obtained. As outlined in this dev post on the PTS forum:
Finally, we’ve seen lots of talk about how the Laurels will only drop for characters who know at least one chapter of the style. One thing we didn’t mention in the patch notes, however, is that this is not a simple 0%-100% scale – while knowing zero chapters of the style does mean you won’t ever see a Laurel, having just one chapter means that final bosses from Veteran Dungeon will have a 50% chance to drop a Laurel for you. From there, it scales up linearly to 100% (approx. +4% per chapter). Note that the drop rate of Laurels from final bosses in Normal Dungeons Laurel is always 1/4th of their Veteran counterparts.

If you’re concerned that you now have to get your crafting character suited up and ready for dungeons, consider this: With just one chapter under your belt – likely obtained after only a day’s worth of Pledges – your most Undaunted character will be getting a Laurel about every other run through a Veteran Dungeon.

Thank you!
Edited by ThatNeonZebraAgain on November 2, 2015 2:47PM
Gore-of-the-Forest Argonian Nightblade
Wode Earthrender Breton Dragonknight
Ceol the Last Baron Redguard Dragonknight
Wayra High Elf Sorceress
Erebain Salothran Dark Elf Templar
Rituals-of-the-Forest Argonian Warden
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @ZOS_GinaBruno

If that helps get your attention ;)
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No info the ESO subreddit about this either.
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know any chapters of either motif, but I have so far collected around 12 casserite sands from nodes in Orsinium.

So it is not the case that you need to know at least 1 part of the motif to collect the sand, and it comes from bs/cloth/ww nodes (had some from both VR9-14 and VR15-16 nodes). Does that help to answer the question?
    Edited by Epona222 on November 2, 2015 11:31PM
    GM - Ghost Sea Trading Co - NA PC

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »
    I don't know any chapters of either motif, but I have so far collected around 12 casserite sands from nodes in Orsinium.

So it is not the case that you need to know at least 1 part of the motif to collect the sand, and it comes from bs/cloth/ww nodes (had some from both VR9-14 and VR15-16 nodes). Does that help to answer the question?

Basically, yes. Mainly just wanted to see if your chance without knowing any motifs was 0% or not. Seems like it has a relatively high base drop rate as well judging by how many you've collect. Thanks!
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Epona222 wrote: »

Basically, yes. Mainly just wanted to see if your chance without knowing any motifs was 0% or not. Seems like it has a relatively high base drop rate as well judging by how many you've collect. Thanks!

I was exploring, not particularly farming hard, just stopping at nodes I happened to spot - this took place over about 2 hours of wandering about fairly casually and randomly. The drop rate doesn't seem to be too bad from what I have seen so far :)

Epona was a Romano-Celtic goddess dating back to around 1800 to 2000 years before computer games were invented.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I picked up some Casserite Sand without knowing any of the motif; then I picked up a chapter of the motif tonight. I was not unhappy with the drop rate before -- it's not high but is also not stupidly hard to get.

If it gets better now that I have a chapter that would be awesome.
  • ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ThatNeonZebraAgain
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    I picked up some Casserite Sand without knowing any of the motif; then I picked up a chapter of the motif tonight. I was not unhappy with the drop rate before -- it's not high but is also not stupidly hard to get.

If it gets better now that I have a chapter that would be awesome.

Good to know, thanks!
    Wayra High Elf Sorceress
  • Lithium Flower
    Lithium Flower
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's like they have decided that Orsinium is the DLC where they will shaft people with multiple characters or those who don't craft as much as possible. If you have one character that also crafts you get silly amounts of drops. If you have a dedicated crafter you don't play on, you're screwed. If you have multiple alts that don't all craft, you're screwed. If you don't care about crafting, you're screwed.

Then you have the fact that the only loot in the DLC that is economically profitable are the motif drops because all other desirable items are Bind on Pickup. You have the scenario that instead of these motifs being something that only crafters really pursued instead they are the latest 'must have'. Naturally, they also make an appearance in the Crownstore. I don't have any issues with that in itself. Motifs are cosmetic and there's no harm in putting them on the crown store in itself but now the entire game is being oriented to focus on the 'motif-chase ' and that is a definite problem.
    Dragonknight Smith of the Lith | Rayna Dreloth
    Templar Josephine Belmont | Catherine Belmont | Irene Belmont
    Sorceror Blathanna | Eta Carina
    Nightblade Adda Vorenor

Ebonheart Pact | Daggerfall Covenant | EU | Champion Points ~ 800 | Crafter of all things
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You're not 'screwed' if you have a crafting character, your character is battle leveled, and questing and farming mats is not something that is at all difficult. I've already taken my crafter around the zone and farmed a load of mats with absolutely no problems whatsoever. The only thing I would advise, is avoid the world bosses, they are tough. The rest of it isn't, and it is easy to get mats.
    Edited by Epona222 on November 3, 2015 6:02AM

• Lithium Flower
    Lithium Flower
    ✭✭✭✭
    You are screwed because if you have multiple characters that are optimized for 'adventuring' and are therefore far more fun to play on but don't craft, you can't obtain drops for crafting on them any more in a total reversal of how the game has played for two years.

Now you have two bad choices - grind up crafting skills and traits and rebuy motifs on any and all characters you prefer playing on or grind up your crafter so its viable to play on regardless of what character you want to game with. Spending the effort to level up an alt should confer a personal advantage - more choice in how you want to play - not penalize you for wanting to diversify your play time. People playing alts is good for the health of the game, it means renewed interest in the game, more availability of tanks and healers and damage dealers for social activity and therefore a tighter knit community less likely to wither.

The reason many people have a 'dedicated' crafter is because it's a 'shelved' character (for a variety of reasons ranging from 'changed alliance to re-rolled a difference class or race) and they now have other characters they want to play on and this totally defeats hours of work they have put in - either learning traits or leveling up new characters.

This also excludes people from rewards if they don't want to craft. If you are a stamina character and find a Willpower ring, you can sell it for gold which you then use for other stuff - this is a great thing. Similarly if you don't craft and find related drops, being able to exchange them for other stuff is great for the game and the community. You should be able to derive useful rewards and gold from your regular activity.

Nightblade Adda Vorenor

Ebonheart Pact | Daggerfall Covenant | EU | Champion Points ~ 800 | Crafter of all things
  • Epona222
    Epona222
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    You don't need to do research or learn all the motifs on characters who you play in wrothgar - just put them up to 10/10 crafting (btw all my characters are maxed out on that in all crafts), and learn 1 piece of whichever motif it is that is required for that 1 style mat that requires that for it to drop.

You are making mountains out of molehills.

• Lithium Flower
    Lithium Flower
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you not see what a waste that is? And to support a bad mechanic. It's redundant to train up crafting on different characters and learn motifs on them to acquire drops. A waste of time, materials and effort. Motifs should be learned to craft items - that is the purpose of the item. Items you already have or cannot use should be passed on to others who can use them.
    Nightblade Adda Vorenor

• Marrtha
    Marrtha
    ✭✭✭✭
    I got the sand from nodes before I got my two pieces of style motifs from the pledges (Mercenary).
    Use @Marrtha when replying!