The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Making Videos

Glarin
Glarin
✭✭✭
I was just wondering what program you guys use to capture the game for videos?
Aldmeri Dominon: Glarin |Dragonknight *** Erìnwy |Sorcerer
Ebonheart Pact: Alexandrìte |Dragonknight |Former Emperor *** Oops I Negated Again |Sorcerer |Former Emperor
Daggerfall Covenant: Eìr |Templar
  • oyvind_okb16_ESO
    Xsplit Broadcaster is a good tool :) both free and payable version :) the free version is good so unless u wanna go real hardcore at it no need to go pay :)
    Edited by oyvind_okb16_ESO on October 28, 2015 6:05PM
  • Anazasi
    Anazasi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Open broadcaster is free it also allows you to stream to twitch or youtube. I like it because of the encoding feature seems less problematic.
  • Glarin
    Glarin
    ✭✭✭
    I'm using Open Broadcaster right now but the quality that comes out is pretty bad.
    Ebonheart Pact: Alexandrìte |Dragonknight |Former Emperor *** Oops I Negated Again |Sorcerer |Former Emperor
  • Eirella
    Eirella
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I used to use Fraps, but just started using Bandicam. I believe both programs have free versions that allowed you to record a certain (limited) amount of time.
    (PC/NA) - | @Eirella - formerly @jinxgames | CP 1000+ | Mainly PvPer (EP) | Haxus
    /uninstalled
  • Anazasi
    Anazasi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glarin wrote: »
    I'm using Open Broadcaster right now but the quality that comes out is pretty bad.

you need to read the set up manual and follow it completely. It's a really strong suite and has fantastic quality.
  • Telel
    Telel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Telel also uses open broadcaster for streaming. However they've yet to venture into the wackyworld of actual video making outside of fiddling with Youtube's built in editing system
    Character: Telel
    Class: Night Blade-Werewolf-viking-ninja-catgirl-mallet wielder
    Past times: Refusing to go full magika spec, hitting things with a big hammer, sniping, and speaking in khajiit
    Also: Gelel the Derp Knight, Altsel the streaker, and Filafel the temp temp.

Khajiit has a twitch stream! https://twitch.tv/telel_khajiit feel free to come see how truly unskilled Telel is.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Fraps is horrible and has serious performance impacts.

I use either Action! or Shadowplay. If you use an AMD card, check out Action!

The nice thing is if you play on a massive resolution it allows you to record at 1080P instead which is what you'd want to record and publish at due to size/performance limitations.
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've used almost every recording program there is, however I find the best are DXTory, highly customizeable and lets you use any codec you already have installed on your PC , Shadowplay( I loved this when I had an Nvidia card) and Fraps, yes it's older but it's still one of the most stable and reliable recording programs, it won't crash, it doesn't lag unless the system you are running it on is extremely slow. Though the major downside to Fraps are the big file sizes. Like 4 gigabytes a minute or so. I That being said, no PC is the same, so different software will respond differently.

Perhaps this will help, it's a top 10 list of recording software with reasons why:
    video-game-recorder-software-review.toptenreviews.com/
    Edited by Akinos on October 28, 2015 7:13PM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »
    I've used almost every recording program there is, however I find the best are DXTory with a custom codec( Iuse XVID) and is highly customizable , Shadowplay( I loved this when I had an Nvidia card) and Fraps, yes it's older but it's still one of the most stable and reliable recording programs, it won't crash, it doesn't lag unless the system you are running on is slower.

Perhaps this will help, it's a top 10 list of recording software with reasons why:

I tried fraps before I made my choice and my computer ran like garbage compared to Action! or Shadowplay. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

I've heard great things about DXTory though, I almost went that route but chose Action! instead.

Additionally from what I hear there is a new Windows 10 recording option built into Windows. My brother uses it but I haven't made the switch yet so I can't speak on that.
    Edited by Ezareth on October 28, 2015 7:11PM
    Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • Glarin
    Glarin
    ✭✭✭
    I'm liking Action! atm I'm gonna try it out later when maintenance is done and PvP gets going.
  • Xsorus
    Xsorus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nvidia Cards have Shadowplay which is amazing.

• Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    +1 for Shadowplay
    EU | PC | AD
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ezareth wrote: »
    I've used almost every recording program there is, however I find the best are DXTory with a custom codec( Iuse XVID) and is highly customizable , Shadowplay( I loved this when I had an Nvidia card) and Fraps, yes it's older but it's still one of the most stable and reliable recording programs, it won't crash, it doesn't lag unless the system you are running on is slower.

I tried fraps before I made my choice and my computer ran like garbage compared to Action! or Shadowplay. I wouldn't recommend that to anyone.

I've heard great things about DXTory though, I almost went that route but chose Action! instead.

Additionally from what I hear there is a new Windows 10 recording option built into Windows. My brother uses it but I haven't made the switch yet so I can't speak on that.

You having a bad experience with Fraps doesn't make it bad software.
    Fraps doesn't lag unless you either set it up wrong or are trying to run it on a older machine from like 2002. I used it for years without issue. It's good for people new to making videos because it's easier to configure and there a million guides out for it. I still use it as backup in the rare event that DXTory stops responding.

Dxtory is amazing though, I am using it with the XVID codec, much smaller file then anything else with the way I have mine setup. But still has really great HD quality. I made a guide for it which is on my Youtube channel.

I've heard the Windows 10 recording software is what the X-Box One uses, and that it's pretty good.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Erondil
    Erondil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes windows 10 comes with a recording software, quite cool and easy to use actually. I was using fraps before I got windows 10, but due to the huge fps drops with fraps I couldnt record or my records were unwatchable 90% of the time.
    ~retired~
    EU server, former Zerg Squad and Banana Squad officer
    Dennegor NB AD, AvA 50 Grand Overlord 24/05/2016
    rekt you NB AD, AvA 32
    Erondil Sorc AD, AvA 23
    Denne the Banana Slayer NB EP, AvA 14
    Darth Dennegor lv50 Stamina NB DC, AvA 19
    Youtube Channel
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Fraps doesn't lag unless you either set it up wrong or are trying to run it on a older machine from like 2002. I used it for years without issue. It's good for people new to making videos because it's easier to configure and there a million guides out for it. I still use it as backup in the rare event that DXTory stops responding.

Dxtory is amazing though, I am using it with the XVID codec, much smaller file then anything else with the way I have mine setup. But still has really great HD quality. I made a guide for it which is on my Youtube channel.

I've heard the Windows 10 recording software is what the X-Box One uses, and that it's pretty good.

My computer is all the latest and greatest hardware and I configured FRAPs correctly. When recording I was still getting a 10-15FPS framerate drop. This is primarily because (at least this was the case a year ago when I tested it) fraps will only record at native FPS and resolution. Recording at 2560X1600 at 60 FPS will have a performance impact on any machine as that is in essence 4 times the throughput of the 1080P 30 FPS recording that I do now.

FRAPs is one of the oldest and most used pieces of recording software out there but the technology of it's competitors have far surpassed it.

As far as ease of use I found Action to be both easier to set up as well as the added benefit of having a cheaper licensing cost (which never played into my considerations). I've never had Action crash on me before but Shadowplay does have its quirks with occasional crashing/hangs.

Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • KostasDragonborn

Checked out your YT video and set up my DXTory as you recommended.

Question for DXTory users. Do you just hit record and let it record the entire time, or do you hit record and stop recording often?
    - Walk with virtue, friend.
  • Cinnamon_Spider
    Cinnamon_Spider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shadowplay
    Cinn #SorcLivesMatter
    Exquisite Bedlam - Sorcerer AD rank 34
    Cinnamonspiderdreams - Sorcerer EP rank 24
    Synaris Astarte - Templar DC rank 24
    Cinnamon Spider - Nightblade AD

Youtube - Cinnamon_Spider
  • Olivierko
    Olivierko
    ✭✭✭
    AMD has a corresponding software to Nvidias "Shadowplay" which is called "Raptr".

The feature of background recording is a really great tool, I have quite low quality settings while I record but it doesn't impact any gameplay performance, at least none that I can tell.

The only downside about "Raptr" is the horrible UI, I prefer clean applications that do one job and it seems that they are trying to establish some sort of irrelevant built-in community which I want no part of, other than that I recommend it.

Addons:PointificatorRaidificator

1. Dar'diov ★ AvA 25 ★ Nightblade
    2. Tig'ger ★ AvA 9 ★ Dragonknight
    3. Ba'bushka ★ AvA 28 ★ Sorcerer
    4. Hails-To-Putin ★ AvA 18 ★ Templar
    5. Ba'boon ★ AvA 13 ★ Sorcerer

6. PC EU ★ Aldmeri DominionYoutube
  • LazyLewis
    LazyLewis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Shadowplay!
    DC - Chunky Nurse - Chunky Ninja - Chunky Dragon - Fabulously Chunky
    AD - Chunky Nurse - Ashenn - Yorkshire Pudding
  • Shelgon
    Shelgon
    ✭✭✭✭
    +1 Shadowplay
    Edited by Shelgon on October 29, 2015 12:09AM
    V16 Templar - Shelgon - DC
    V16 Dragonknight - The Secutor - DC
  • IxSTALKERxI
    IxSTALKERxI
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you have a nvidia graphics card then shadowplay is good.
    AMD graphics cards now have access to raptr which I've been trying lately, works well but I've found the codec is painful to use as it isn't recognised by some editing software.

^ Good thing about these 2 is they use your GPU to encode the footage. Which means it doesn't have much impact on your PC performance and produces manageable file sizes.

Fraps and DXTory both produce uncompressed recordings which are high qualtiy and take up huge amounts of space on your hard drive. They also take up a lot of CPU usage, so when playing a game like ESO you will notice large FPS drops when recording unless you have a very powerful CPU. Fraps is very limited and easy to use, whereas DXTory has a lot of options and settings to customise how you want it to record.

OBS is probably your best option if you don't have shadowplay, never heard of Action! until now, but it sounds promising.
    Edited by IxSTALKERxI on October 29, 2015 12:15AM
    NA | PC | Aldmeri Dominion
    Laser Eyes AR 26 Arcanist | Stalker V AR 41 Warden | I Stalker I AR 42 NB | Stalkersaurus AR 31 Templar | Stalker Ill AR 31 Sorc | Nigel the Great of Blackwater
    Former Emperor x11 campaign cycles
    Venatus Officer | RIP RÁGE | YouTube Channel