The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Post IC Templar Healer Build

LordMcSwagger
First let me just say there are many ways to heal, I am not saying this is THE only build. This I what I have found that works for me. I am posting it because I get a lot of questions from people on healing. I will also say that I have done a lot of research on my build and many ideas come from many places.
  • Race: Breton (magicka regen) or Altmer (max magicka) are the best choices for Healers. I run an Imperial (Do I wish I went Breton or Altmer? Only once in a while. I do enjoy being a bit more robust as an Imperial).
  • Class: Templar
  • Mundus Stone: The Apprentice (Spell Power)
  • Attributes: All magicka

Gear (Yellow VR16)
  • Main Weapon: Restoration Staff of Torugs Pact – Precise Trait – Absorb Magicka Enchant
  • Secondary Weapon: Great Sword of Torugs Pact – Nirnhoned Trait – Absorb Magicka Enchant
  • Head: Helm of Kagrenac’s Hope (Heavy) - Infused Trait – Magicka Enchant
  • Shoulder: Moleg Kena Arm Cops (Medium) – Infused Trait (Would have preferred Divines) – Magicka Enchant
  • Chest: Shirt of Kagrenac’s Hope (Light) – Infused Trait – Magicka Enchant
  • Hands: Gloves of Kagrenac’s Hope (Light) - Divines Trait – Magicka Enchant
  • Waist: Belt of Torugs Pact (Light) – Divines Trait – Magicka Enchant
  • Legs: Pants of Kagrenac’s Hope (Light) - Infused Trait – Magicka Enchant
  • Feet: Shoes of Kagrenac’s Hope (Light) – Divines Trait – Magicka Enchant
  • Neck: Willpower Necklace – Healthy Trait – Spell Damage Enchant
  • Ring: Willpower Ring – Healthy Trait – Spell Damage Enchant
  • Ring: Willpower Ring – Healthy Trait – Spell Damage Enchant

Kagrenac’s Hope has a major spell power buff for its 5 piece bonus, but it also makes the Master Ritualist (Templar Passive) much more relevant. Your DPS will love the super-fast pick-ups.

I have a set of Eyes of Mara that I swap out for the Kag’s set for running trials. It is identical in every way, but it allows for using Healing Springs and Combat Prayer more efficiently when your team is stacked on bosses.

Torugs two piece and Molag Kena are just for straight spell power upgrade.

I have one Heavy and one Medium to get the 6% undaunted increase to max Magicka, Health and Stamina.

I went with the Healthy trait Willpower set because I think it is important to be more robust than DPS. Healers shouldn’t go down as it often leads to a wipe, or at the very least it decreases DPS because someone has to get you up.

Skills

Resto Staff Bar: Inner Light (ALWAYS), Repentance, Breath of Life (ALWAYS), Blazing Spear, Structured Entropy (Remembrance)
Great sword: Inner Light (ALWAYS), Channeled Focus, Breath of Life (ALWAYS), Purifying Light, Radiant Oppression (Solar Prison)
Side Bar: Combat Prayer, Harness Magicka, Healing Springs, Puncturing Sweeps, Dark Flare, Mutagen, Retreating Maneuvers, Efficient Purge.

Passives

I roll with all passives in Restoration Staff, Light Armor, Undaunted, Mages Guild (Working on this one), and the 3 Templar skill lines. Also to note is Heavy Weapons in the Two Handed line and Medicinal Use in the Alchemy line.

Stats

I have to grab my exact stats but these are close (within 50 points). This is with max food because I don’t run without it.
  • Max Magicka: 30000
  • Max Health: 22000
  • Max Stamina: 9000
  • Magicka Recovery: 950
  • Spell Damage: 2750 (3300 buffed)
  • Resistances: 15000 Spell, 12000 Physical

Resource Management

Since IC dropped, we have had major issue with resource management. My magicka regen is only around 900 which is certainly not what it used to be. While I could have similar regen to what I used to have, my heals would be impotent and it wouldn’t matter how many times I could cast it. Spell damage has become a much more important stat. Being able to heal a tank for over half its health with one Breath of Life critical is amazing, but it is hard to maintain (I think I can hit 13 BoL’s before I am out of magicka). I have found a few ways to maintain resources during long fights. First is keeping channeled focus up all the time; regen and survivability! Second, I only use crafted magicka pots; this and Medicinal Use from the Alchemy skill line give me 20% more regen for the entire cool down of the potion. Lastly, weaving Heavy Attack then BoL repeatedly means I can maintain full magicka indefinitely. Obviously there are times when spamming BoL is required but then you pop a pot and keep going.

How I Roll

There are a few things I always keep on my bar and always work into my rotation:
  • Inner Light is always on both bars and always on. My crit is 50% so statistically speaking every other spell should crit.
  • I work Structured Entropy into almost every rotation, that extra 20% spell damage means your heals hit even harder.
  • Breath of Life is on both bars and always the same button. Someone starts losing health and it’s instinct, I hit B.
  • When it is time to execute a boss, I bring out the Jesus Beam and help the team melt the boss. My teams expect I won’t be healing much and are much more cautious at this point.
  • Many skills are situational and I either swap during dungeon or set up at the beginning in the case of a timed run.
  • In mobs when your team is doing fine, hit structured entropy and spam Blazing Spear, it does a ton of AOE and DOT damage and your team can pick them up if they need a stamina boost.
  • If I have a spare second to help with single target damage, my rotation is: Purifying light, Structured Entropy, Dark Flare, Dark Flare or instead of Dark Flare, Radiant Oppression. This does a few things to max damage: Purifying light saves up 36% of the damage done and hits with it at the end, puts a DOT on and buffs you with Structured Entropy, and then gives you major empower with Dark Flare.

Here are some most specialized set ups for various activities

Running Dungeons
  • Generally there are larger trash mobs so running repentance and hitting it often is very helpful for both the heals and replenishing stamina for tank and DPS.
  • Healing springs can be useful in some dungeons where mobility isn’t as important. If a team can stack or stay close together this can be a more efficient way to keep the party alive.
  • Combat Prayer is a tough one; you need to know what buffs others have. Minor berserk doesn’t stack so you may not be helping at all. Also, if it is a mobile fight, it’s hard to cast it on everyone.
  • Harness Magicka is a lifesaver for fights like Hiath the Battlemaster and Molag Kena to name a couple. I only put this on for special circumstances and it takes up a very important spot in my bar.
  • Some bosses/NPC enemies like to heal… Damn Cauterizers and Menders! Dark Flare baby, debuff those heals and make killing them easier.
  • If I ever get into a dungeon that requires huge heals (or if I am rolling with a real squishy person) I will hit everyone with Mutagen, followed by 2 or 3 Healing Springs, and then a breath of life or two. Of course this is hard to maintain so weaving Heavy Attacks and popping pots are very important.

Running Trials
  • What do we do in trials? We stack (for the most part). Healing Springs.
  • Since I run Eyes of Mara in trials, I roll with Combat Prayer and I have another healer run Purifying Light. Also the stacking means that one combat prayer is only required every 8 seconds.
  • Harness Magicka is pretty important in some boss fights. Survivability is huge; when a healer goes down, it isn’t good.

PVP
  • What do healers do in PVP? We hit everyone with Mutagen so we get everyone’s AP, right? I am guilty of doing this, but only when no one is at risk of dying.
  • Purge is important because PVP sucks for all sorts of bad effects that purge can help with: DOTs, Fear, Root, etc. This can be the difference between your allies living or dying.
  • Rapid Maneuvers; it’s a big map. Nuff said.
  • Puncturing Sweeps is a great PVP skill because of its sustain. You get health back for the damage that you deal. If you are in a group and you run into an issue with a player or two, this can either help you take them out or keep you alive long enough for someone to come help you.
  • I use purifying light for PVP to mark those pesky night blades.

Champion Points

I have 180 CP’s so this is easy. Because of diminishing returns I split my CP’s up between two passives in a tree.

Apprentice
  • Blessed: 30
  • Elfborn: 30
Tower
  • Magician: 30
Lover
  • Arcanist: 30
Lady:
  • Light Armor Focus: 30 or Thick Skinned: 30
  • Elemental Defender: 30

I hope you found this helpful,
Swagger

Guild Master: Black Lotus
Lord McSwagger VR16: Templar Healer
Anne Ihilation VR16: Mage Blade
Declan Stachenshield VR4: Sorcer
Isabelle Stonecaller VR3: Magicka Dragon Knight
  • eliisra
    eliisra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your magicka looks a bit low. Most templar healers have over 40k magicka. Combination of low CP, higher health and being Imperial maybe?

Could also mention Elemental Drain for flex slot in PvE. It's a core support skill in my opinion, when you have Sorcs + DK's magicka dps in group, running heavy dps spec's with low sustain. Especially since sorcs(with 2 toggles) cant really slot it themselves.

Otherwise, it's good advices. As long as you have the "ALWAYS", being Breath of Life, Spear Shards, Inner light(PvE) and Repentance, you're good to go. Everything else is situational.

Should also mention that DW will outshine Greatsword next patch. You will get the same 5% dmg buff but higher spell power.

As far as CP goes, focus more on Thaumaturge and less on Blessed, once you have the 12% crit passive.

Light Armor Focus isn't worth putting more than 1-3 points in. Same with Thick Skinned, for a new player with low CP.

For PvP: Elemental Defender, Hardy, Quick Recovery(your main defence comes from healing yourself)and Resistant, does the most for survivability. Block Expertise and Tumbling is also good to invest a bit in.

For PvE: Elemental Defender mainly and Hardy. Some Block Expertise is nice for clearing trash.
  • LordMcSwagger
    Hey Eliisra!

Thank you for your feedback! I definitely could have 3K more Magicka with Arcane Willpower Jewelry and another 3K if I were a Altmer. I am pretty happy with being able to take a hit or two, but I get where you are coming from. More CP will help some as well.

Elemental Drain is a great skill, but I dont run a destro staff often. There are some very specific times that I run a destro staffs. For example: the planar inhibitor, I use Force Pulse to take down portals and I equip Elemental Drain and hit the Inhibitor since I have my destro staff on.

I am looking forward to getting my DW back because I have a Molag Kena helm that I would like to use, but it messes with my set bonuses. Adding that extra piece means I can keep all the same sets and just add the last piece.

Great advice on the CP's. I will take a look at your suggestions. But why Thurmaturge over Blessed?

Cheers,
    Swagger
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does Inner light make that big of a difference? It's two slots for 5% crit.
  • LordMcSwagger
    There are lots of discussions on these forums about whether Inner Light is worth it. I obviously feel it is since I have it double barred. The 5% extra Magicka and the 10% crit increase is a solid buff. I wish I could just put it on one bar, but I switch bars constantly and that would be a huge pain.
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the build info. I used to run heals all the time before I hit vet levels. The vet dungeons seem much more difficult, requiring a different strategy/setup.
  • Dagoth_Rac
    Dagoth_Rac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Chest pieces give the most armor/spell resist of any piece. So if you are running only 1 heavy piece, make it chest. It will give you a little extra armor and spell resist compared to the heavy head piece. At VR16 gold quality, I think Cuirasses are 2772 armor/spell resist while Helms are 2425 armor/spell resist. It is very minor, probably about 0.5% extra mitigation. But you really do not sacrifice anything at all to get it.

Aesthetics come into play, though. I really do love the look of the heavy Xivkyn head piece. I am seriously tempted to forsake the 347 armor/spell resist just to look cooler! :-)
  • LordMcSwagger
    I hear you on the Aethetics, I really like the Glass shirt. I was originally running engine guardian and my helm was heavy so I crafted light Kag's chest piece. Those dang Monster sets dictating which pieces go where!
  • PCheuk38b14_ESO
    PCheuk38b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Dagoth_Rac wrote: »
    Chest pieces give the most armor/spell resist of any piece. So if you are running only 1 heavy piece, make it chest. It will give you a little extra armor and spell resist compared to the heavy head piece. At VR16 gold quality, I think Cuirasses are 2772 armor/spell resist while Helms are 2425 armor/spell resist. It is very minor, probably about 0.5% extra mitigation. But you really do not sacrifice anything at all to get it.

Aesthetics come into play, though. I really do love the look of the heavy Xivkyn head piece. I am seriously tempted to forsake the 347 armor/spell resist just to look cooler! :-)

347 only matter to min / maxer but I have given in to a cooler helm look =P
  • rob_ber
    rob_ber
    ✭✭✭
    Hey, build looks solid, but too much health and a bit low magicka for my taste. But that's just me. Healers in my guilds usually roll with approx 17 - 18k health and 40k+ magicka. But if the numbers works for you, then don't change anything.

Maybe just food for thoughts. DPS' will love you when you will buff their deeps and help them manage resources. Try to use Spell Power Cure set and run ele drain (when taking care of mag DPS'), also mystic orbs are pretty niffty and try to keep Combat Prayer up at all times. Damage dealers will love you for that!

When healing standard 4-man dungeons, you don't need a lot of CP's in Blessed, put them somewhere else, but for trials, Blessed is the way to go.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Been here for too long
    PC EU

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Kozai
    Kozai
    ✭✭✭
    There are lots of discussions on these forums about whether Inner Light is worth it. I obviously feel it is since I have it double barred. The 5% extra Magicka and the 10% crit increase is a solid buff. I wish I could just put it on one bar, but I switch bars constantly and that would be a huge pain.

What do you think of using Vampire's Bane, the morph of Sun Fire, for the 10% crit, at least in PvE? You miss the 5% Magicka boost of Inner Light, but contribute some damage, and slow a foe who might be on you, and free up a slot on one bar for some other utility power.
  • LordMcSwagger
    Hey, build looks solid, but too much health and a bit low magicka for my taste. But that's just me. Healers in my guilds usually roll with approx 17 - 18k health and 40k+ magicka. But if the numbers works for you, then don't change anything.

Maybe just food for thoughts. DPS' will love you when you will buff their deeps and help them manage resources. Try to use Spell Power Cure set and run ele drain (when taking care of mag DPS'), also mystic orbs are pretty niffty and try to keep Combat Prayer up at all times. Damage dealers will love you for that!

When healing standard 4-man dungeons, you don't need a lot of CP's in Blessed, put them somewhere else, but for trials, Blessed is the way to go.

I agree with you on all points and that is why I am leveling up a Breton for healing and converting my imperial to a Stamplar as it will be pretty heavily buffed after TG drops.

I do run full Spell Power Cure now along with Torugs, Willpower and Kena Helm.

As for CP, this healer has become almost exclusively used for Trials as we tend to run 4 DPS for dungeons.

Cheers, Swagger
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    A great sword is trash only good damage at more than 40k magic isint it?? Should slot two swords till you get there. And even then great sword isnt for heals
  • LordMcSwagger
    it was only good until Orsinium came out. I have changed to Resto/Destro so I can run Elemental Drain
  • Duiwel
    Duiwel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Destyran wrote: »
    A great sword is trash only good damage at more than 40k magic isint it?? Should slot two swords till you get there. And even then great sword isnt for heals

Did you see the thread title?

You comment when Thieves Guild is out on an Imperial City build...
    @Duiwel:
    Join ORDER OF SITHIS We're recruiting! PC EU

"Dear Brother. I do not spread rumours. I create them..."
  • Destyran
    Destyran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It wasent out on console wich i play on.