The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 29:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 29

Are Writs really worth it?

Ryska
Ryska
✭✭✭
I do see the merit in the Provisioning Writs (as does the rest of Tamriel) but I am interested in learning if there are benefits for completing other crafting writs?! :/

It’s a bit of a noodle scratcher for me!
'Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time.' - Terry Pratchett
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They are a good source of inspiration. Not much else, though.

Unless there is a prize in the box that you want, writs are not very beneficial after you max out the crafter.
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kutas
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    I do all of them on all my toons that are v16 (6 on my main account 4 on othrr). High chance for gold tempers from reward as well as xp pot recipe and glass sale motifs and if you get the craglorn survey you gain tons of mats to refine to get another chance for gold tempers and I swear I get atleast 1 nirn trait for each survey. Accumulated alot of purple gold tempers sell nirn, glass motifs and xp recipes. Can honestly say from doing them daily on 10 toons I probably made 3 million in gold. Not counting the gold tempers I get. Saving those for improving my gears
    Costco member

Message brought to you by Cat Queefs Emporium
  • Ryska
    Ryska
    ✭✭✭
    Cheers @lordrichter - as my mats were dwindling before my eyes from completing the dailies I took a step back and wondered if they were worth my while.

You have hit the nail on the head.

@DannyLV702 I find I get enough Kuta's from the provisioning Secret Santa who sends me sparkling stones on a daily basis. :D
  • Oh_Skrivva
    Oh_Skrivva
    ✭✭✭
    Plus when I do them I sign in with both accounts at once have multiple monitors.
    Costco member

Message brought to you by Cat Queefs Emporium
  • Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    Peel_Ya_Cap_517
    ✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't think the woodworking, blacksmithing, and clothier writs are worth it anymore.. unless you actually collect the resources yourself, the gold you spend on the materials is not worth the occasional gold temper or even survey.

Enchanter and provisioning are well worth it though, of course.
    N64 NA EP
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You get gold upgrade materials from them. Not every time but quite often. And you get Glass fragments. In case you are not in a rush so you don't want to buy the motif from crown shop.

There is basically no reason not to do writs right now since it's not a waste of v16 materials. Not sure how that's gonna change in the future though.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have 4 top level writ characters... the rewards from the boxes get me around quarter of a million gold per week.

I spend maybe 10-20k on the mats to do the writs per week. Just grab some voidcloth/shadowhide/voidstone when I see it cheap in guild stores.

I do NOT do the woodworking writ as the mats are way to expensive and I don't think its viable to spend hours farming for the rewards.

So for 4 or 5 writs per character, around 30 mins per day.... quarter of a million.

If you do just one or two the RNG may bite you... as you keep going it evens out and you can make very good gold from these.
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • Catmophere
    Catmophere
    ✭✭
    Flaminir wrote: »
    I have 4 top level writ characters... the rewards from the boxes get me around quarter of a million gold per week.

I spend maybe 10-20k on the mats to do the writs per week. Just grab some voidcloth/shadowhide/voidstone when I see it cheap in guild stores.

I do NOT do the woodworking writ as the mats are way to expensive and I don't think its viable to spend hours farming for the rewards.

So for 4 or 5 writs per character, around 30 mins per day.... quarter of a million.

If you do just one or two the RNG may bite you... as you keep going it evens out and you can make very good gold from these.

So they're worth it if you like trading and want gold mostly?

I was wondering about this - I get gold items to upgrade I can see, and provisioning is worth it it for that recipe (I must be lucky as I have my first piece already only 60 days playing). I find trading beyond tedious though and it's just not my thing - although I appreciate others really enjoy that aspect :) So if I don't *have* to, and I can make money selling nightwood (yay! collecting >> trading any day for me), this equals = screw writs. (Except enchant, alch, provisioning.)

Good question Ryska - thanks for asking :)
  • Flaminir
    Flaminir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Catmophere wrote: »

So they're worth it if you like trading and want gold mostly?

I was wondering about this - I get gold items to upgrade I can see, and provisioning is worth it it for that recipe (I must be lucky as I have my first piece already only 60 days playing). I find trading beyond tedious though and it's just not my thing - although I appreciate others really enjoy that aspect :) So if I don't *have* to, and I can make money selling nightwood (yay! collecting >> trading any day for me), this equals = screw writs. (Except enchant, alch, provisioning.)

Good question Ryska - thanks for asking :)

They're worth it for two reasons....

1. If you need expensive gold mats... Kutas and Tempering alloy in particular, as those are around 3 times the cost of dreugh wax for example.
    2. If you need gold. Sell the Kutas, alloys, wax, glass fragments, psijic chapters, nirncrux etc.

You can actually make more with some of it too... EG turn the nirncrux into items to sell for research... nearly doubles the value of them at the minute (Armor... not weapons! The weapon nirncrux has held its value).

If by 'trading' you mean just sticking the gold / purples straight into a guild store and then counting the cash... then sure.. its trading! But it takes no more time than putting something in the bank, so it's not a problem & doesnt involve any trading as most people would see it... buying low, selling high etc!

As I said... if you just do a few now and then it may give you the wrong impression and turn you off them thinking its not worth it. Keep going and it'll help make you rich :)
    Edited by Flaminir on October 28, 2015 10:19AM
    GM of the Unholy Legacy
    EU/EP
    Sorcerer Flaminir (Magicka) / Staminir (Stamina)
    Templar Elixiia (Magicka/Healer) / Lotti Velooni (Magicka)
    DragonKnight Xalora Flaminar (Tank) / Unholy-Dragon-Toad (Tank)
    Nightblade Aimee Owlious (Magicka) / Myttens (Stamina)
    Warden: Frosti-Tute (Magicka/Healer) Boops-Many-Snoots (Stamina/Tank)
  • mgharris
    mgharris
    Yes they are worth it once you can turn them in at Craglorn
    1. They take less than 5 minutes to complete if you have the mats stockpiled
    2. You will receive gold improvement items
    3. Provisioning has frequent purple drops and rare xp potion fragment drops (only from writ rewards) (~ $70k)
    4. Combining 10 glass motif fragments (only found as writ rewards) results in a ~$100k sale
    5. Doing alchemy surveys and provisioning will increase your total amount of ingredients

It is also likely that future DLC will add new motifs as writ rewards that cannot be purchased in the crown store.
  • blackarrow889
    im bored since the server is down on maintenance sooo if ur going to do at least one writ i would say do provision or what ever the food one is . when u get the package u always get a recipe.
  • WitchyWarrior
    WitchyWarrior
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they are worth it. I don't ever buy mats, I get them from the surveys you get from completing them, and I also steal all the weapons & armor I can find on my way from the writ board to crafting stations.

It has been pretty much the only reason I log on lately.
  • Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think they are worth it. I don't ever buy mats, I get them from the surveys you get from completing them, and I also steal all the weapons & armor I can find on my way from the writ board to crafting stations.

It has been pretty much the only reason I log on lately.

agreed - stealing everything I can get my hands on and the surveys are a nice change. I enjoy doing the writs. It took me a while to figure out that you had to put skill points in lets say, blacksmithing, to make anything better than iron. :|
    PS4/PS5/NA - And sometimes EU

Daedroth might bite, just letting you know
  • Ryska
    Ryska
    ✭✭✭
    I have 4 top level writ characters... the rewards from the boxes get me around quarter of a million gold per week

Oh me oh my! I do like my gold so if I do head down this path maybe one day I will acquire...
    762195e1666497074ede151e0cbeb39738a411d967572cbbe24b90cf8db6011f.jpg

• Royal_Kitsune
    Royal_Kitsune
    ✭✭✭
    My only problem with write is my alchemy is maxed ATM and I can't get to crag yet to turn in the write :(.. My problem with provisioning is that I for some reason ALWAYS get a writer needing a recipient I don't even have so... Yea lol
    But overall I would recommend doing the write they are very much worth it for just the savings on gold mates at end game.
  • poodlemasterb16_ESO
    poodlemasterb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I make about 10k a day running writs. That's just gold, nothing to do with what I take in, that's mine, all mine. ;)
  • I_killed_Vivec
    I_killed_Vivec
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My only problem with write is my alchemy is maxed ATM and I can't get to crag yet to turn in the write :(.. My problem with provisioning is that I for some reason ALWAYS get a writer needing a recipient I don't even have so... Yea lol
    But overall I would recommend doing the write they are very much worth it for just the savings on gold mates at end game.

Writs only use three recipes at each level. The ones you need are easy to get hold of at guild stores if you don't have them.
  • SHADOW2KK
    SHADOW2KK
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, I get lots of legendary mats and a lot of gold just by doing writs on 2/3 chars.
    Once I was a lamb, playing in a green field. Then the wolves came. Now I am an eagle and I fly in a different universe.

Been taking heads since TeS 3 Morrowind..

Been enjoying PvP tears since 2014

LvL 50 - Dragon Knight EP [PC-EU] = Illuvutar = Ex The Wabbajack = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Legendary Blades = Evil Ninja/Dueller = (StamBlade)
    LvL 50 - Sorcerer DC [PC-EU] = Daemon Lord = (Mag Sorc)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Khal-Bladez = (Mag DK)
    LvL 50 - Dragon Knight DC [PC-EU] = Tenakha Khan = (Stam DK)
    LvL 50 - Templar DC [PC-EU]] = Blades The Disgruntled = (Stamplar)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Ghost Blades = (Assassin)
    LvL 50 - Night Blade DC [PC-EU] = Malekith The Shadow = (Mag NB)
    LvL 50 - Warden DC [PC-EU] = Crimson Blades = (Stamden)

Guild Master of The Bringers Of The Storm.
    Harrods

Member Of The Old Guard
    PC Closed Betas 2013

PC Mastah Race

Anook Page anook.com/shadow2kk

Been playing since Beta and Early Access