Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Dwemer Gears Decontructed for Dwemer Scrap

woodgolemb14_ESO
Like many, I spent $$ to buy the Dwemer Motif from the craft store. But I've become increasingly disappointed by the joke that is the dwemer scrap drop-rate. I have spent days farming for dwemer scraps only to end up counting the number Iooted on one hand. But what I did find was a horde of dwemer gears. Why can we not deconstruct or smelt these into scrap? Would go a long way to alleviating the feeling that ZOS scammed me out of my $40.

Any thoughts on this?
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I learned the Dwemer Motif the old fashioned way, by finding the chapters. Yes, some were found in the Guild Kiosks, but that is still farming in my mind.

Anyway, one thing to keep in mind with Dwemer Scrap/Motif Chapters is the 30 minute cool down. In that your best haul will be the first Dwemer Ruin you come to after you log in. Then, unless you wait about 30 minutes, the next dwemer ruin will be sparse on the good stuff. I have noticed this with Scrap too.

Now I have not farmed scrap or anything Dwemer in a while, so I don't know if the drop rates on this stuff were nerfed like everything else was recently.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That guy is talking about urn reset. They can drop in a few spots pretty well. Don't stick to urns kill dwemer spiders.
  • ShadowMage
    ShadowMage
    ✭✭✭
    I actually find the drop rates to be pretty decent on scrap. I've never actively farmed the stuff, but I've found about 15-20 scrap. I've only ever been through 3 different ruins (once each). But then again, I've been pretty lucky with malachite shards too. I've found 5 of them without farming and I've probably only opened a couple dozen chests since glass came out.
    PC / NA
    Thenathra - Khajiit Stormblade (Sorcerer - Dual-wield Swords/Lightning Staff)

Several alts I've created, but haven't leveled much yet:
    Norryne - Dunmer Paladin (Templar - Two-hand Hammer/One-hand Hammer & Shield)
    Demerwei - Argonian Shadowscale (Nightblade - Dual-wield Axes/Dual-wield Daggers)
    Gohrnag - Orc Elementalist (Dragon Knight - Frost Staff/Lightning Staff)
    Kerasha - Redguard Mystic (Templar - Flame Staff/Restoration Staff)
    Alawael - Bosmer Assassin (Nightblade - Bow/Two-hand Battleaxe)
    Hjerlm the Quiet - Nord Dragonguard (Dragon Knight - One-hand Sword & Shield/Two-hand Greatsword)
  • mamericus
    mamericus
    ✭✭✭
    I respectfully disagree with the OP. I do find the drop rate for dwemer scrap a bit underwhelming, and wouldn't mind seeing it raised (maybe it already will, I'm hearing something about 30% increased drop rates for everything in the game come Orsinium), but what you're suggesting in lieu of that would be like saying "let us refine foul hides- the vendor trash dropped by animals that drop leather mats, equivalent to dwemer gears from constructs- into leather".

What you must keep in mind is that this is indeed intended to be a rare motif, and since the motif pages themselves are now quite abundant due to market supply, the scraps/frames are the only way of truly enforcing its rarity. You can also always buy these frames/scraps from other players as an alternative.

As far as buying the motif from the store, I do think you wasted your money on that since, like I mentioned above, the motif pages are quite abundant in guild stores nowadays, going for 3-4k tops per page. Perhaps it would be a good idea for someone to request a price reduction in the crown store section for the motif, as it's hardly worth the $40 anymore.
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do have difficulties in looting the scraps myself. Admittedly, I have not been farming dwemer ruins more than I usually do. But I noticed now that the toon that I use to farm in dwemer ruins just turned veteran levels was also when I find the scraps more scarce. I usually farm in Alik'r (and my toon is DC), so I wonder if it has to do with that?
    "We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."
    -Caldwell, "The Final Assault"

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

-Abnur Tharn, "God of Schemes"]
  • Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    volenfell, veteran darkshade cavern

its the devils work if you dont come out with scraps, because i always do
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bhakura wrote: »
    volenfell, veteran darkshade cavern

its the devils work if you dont come out with scraps, because i always do

I agree, especially volenfell, I always make sure I have about 50 slots free on my inventory when I do Volenfell, I'm sure to get a motif (that's how I got some of my Dwemer motif chapters) and some scraps. Did it earlier today, got only one scrap :( sigh. Oh well, guess will just to go back to my regular farm mode. lol.
    "We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

• Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I got about 6 pieces from a single run of the dwemer ruin on DC starter zone Stros Mkai,

I don't seem to have any issues with the drop rate of dwemer scraps however you have to kill all dwemer spiders and other minions and loot their bodies.. That is where i find the most.
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Johngo0036 I'm curious, even if you do it on your v16, you still get loot from the dwemer spiders on Stros Mkai?

• Bhakura
    Bhakura
    ✭✭✭✭
    me_ming wrote: »
    @Johngo0036 I'm curious, even if you do it on your v16, you still get loot from the dwemer spiders on Stros Mkai?
    the urns will
    No that i have that much dwemer scraps, but have enough to make a full set of it if i wanted too. Dwemer urns and other lootables can give quit the nice turn out. No to mention additional recipes / motives.

And for Ops suggestion, making gears deconstructible would simply overflood the market and making yet another crafting item worthless, its fine as it is.
    Edited by Bhakura on November 4, 2015 12:02AM
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @me_ming - No i dont do it on my vr16, I did it on my newest toon who is only lvl 7 now.

I run Rhazaks Wheel in Bankorai with my VR16 and normally get very good drops of it there
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, right now, I am glad that there is a dwemer ruin in Orsinium, and so far I have looted a couple of dwemer scraps. So yay!

• Thrasher91604
    Thrasher91604
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you get the whole book as drop or only chapters?