The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Stamplar: Regen or Cost Reduction?

savingryansprvt
I frequently find myself out of stamina in PvP confrontations but it seems like others have no problems when I see videos posted here and there. So aside from my poor resource management skills contributing to this cause, would I be better off running cost reduction or regen?

I currently run with 7 pieces of medium armor for the stamina bonuses, 3 pieces of Agility (2 rings, 1 neck) each enchanted with cost reduction, and CPs more allocated towards reduction than regen. I also use drink buffs in PvP which offers some bit of help as it brings my stamina regen from ~700 up to ~1400.

With all that said, should I re-enchant with regen and re-allocate CPs to regen as well? Should I mix it up? Help? :neutral:
  • Soulac
    Soulac
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    In case you use bash or dodge in your skill rotations, cost reduction is better - otherwise it´ll be even in most cases.
    Too lazy to open my calculator right now, but the average cost reduction glyph grants you 150 "visible" reduction (not 203 or whatever - thanks to percentage reductions)
    The average recovery glyph will grant you around 300 Stamina Recovery every 2 seconds.

Most rotations take around 1.3 Seconds btw.

Keep in mind that stamina recovery is useless as long as you block.
    And Cost Reduction also reduces Breakfree, Dodge and Bash cost!

In most situations cost reduction is better imo, even if you don´t animation cancel. Or someone else comes and proves me wrong.. :)

R.I.P Dawnbreaker / Auriel´s Bow
    Member of the Arena Guild and the overpowered Banana Squad.
    Nathaerizh aka Cat - Nightblade V16 - EU

- Meow -
  • savingryansprvt
    I don't bash a lot but I do dodge roll quite often in sticky situations. I might switch to regen just to get a feel for it since the numbers game can say one thing, but my playstyle might say something else.

At any rate I appreciate the feedback!
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say if your character still copied in test server, try both on mobs for free.
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Morostyle
    Morostyle
    ✭✭✭✭
    SHUT UP SOULAC
    Edited by Morostyle on October 28, 2015 5:26PM
  • Minno
    Minno
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't bash a lot but I do dodge roll quite often in sticky situations. I might switch to regen just to get a feel for it since the numbers game can say one thing, but my playstyle might say something else.

At any rate I appreciate the feedback!

Yup check both out :)

For pvp regen might be your option (or a healthy balance between the two).
    Minno - DC - Forum-plar Extraordinaire
    - Guild-lead for MV
    - Filthy Casual
  • Mumyo
    Mumyo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healthcostreduction, why doesnt that exist?
    Arent we all paying with our health?
  • OrphanHelgen
    OrphanHelgen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    if you use the major regen buff, your get more numbers out of the % buff.
    If you already have low cost of your spells, you get more bang for the buck with the reduce cost enchants. Lets say your skill cost 1000 and have a reduce cost of 200, you will reduce the cost of the skill by 20%.
    But if you have like caltrops that costs 5500 and a reduce cost of 200, will only reduce it to 5300 right? Its not even noticable.

Sry for bad explanation hehe
    PC, EU server, Ebonheart Pact

Finally a reason not to play League of Legends
  • savingryansprvt
    if you use the major regen buff, your get more numbers out of the % buff.
    If you already have low cost of your spells, you get more bang for the buck with the reduce cost enchants. Lets say your skill cost 1000 and have a reduce cost of 200, you will reduce the cost of the skill by 20%.
    But if you have like caltrops that costs 5500 and a reduce cost of 200, will only reduce it to 5300 right? Its not even noticable.

Sry for bad explanation hehe

No worries, your explanation makes sense.

I might keep some CPs into cost reduction as they reduce by a percentage amount as opposed to a flat amount. At any rate I'll keep a mix between the two, with more emphasis on regen.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soulac wrote: »
    In case you use bash or dodge in your skill rotations, cost reduction is better - otherwise it´ll be even in most cases.
    Too lazy to open my calculator right now, but the average cost reduction glyph grants you 150 "visible" reduction (not 203 or whatever - thanks to percentage reductions)
    The average recovery glyph will grant you around 300 Stamina Recovery every 2 seconds.

Most rotations take around 1.3 Seconds btw.

Keep in mind that stamina recovery is useless as long as you block.
    And Cost Reduction also reduces Breakfree, Dodge and Bash cost!

In most situations cost reduction is better imo, even if you don´t animation cancel. Or someone else comes and proves me wrong.. :)

I'll expand on what Soulac has said since we both see these situations a little differently and have drastically different playstyles.

The answer to your question depends on many things.

If you're running 7/7/ Medium for example then cost reduction becomes less effect than if you were running 5M/1H/1L.

If you don't animation cancel a ton of bashes then there are many cases where regen can actually be more effective than cost reduction, especially if like me you're running 100 into mooncalf, use Windrunning, and are a Bosmer. In dueling situations or PvE you're always better going with cost reduction.

In open world PvP you often sprint a ton, or you're trying to evade groups of players often. Windrunning + stam regen actually comes out ahead in these situations. Additionally if you're playing more of a support/hit and run style of play where you will strike and then retreat and recoup a bit regen comes out ahead.

The good thing is I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. If you're unsure which one to pick I'd say the safest best is to go with cost-reduction. It's definitely the more player friendly choice.

Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • savingryansprvt
    Ezareth wrote: »
    If you're running 7/7/ Medium for example then cost reduction becomes less effect than if you were running 5M/1H/1L.

As an aside to this, would it be more beneficial to run 5M/1H/1L with the undaunted passives + regen focus? The extra health, stamina, and magicka from that seems appealing, although I'm just not sure how big of a difference my overall performance would be than with 7M.

As for the rest of your explanation I sincerely appreciate it. I think I will give regen a try after all to see how things are different... just as soon as this maintenance is over haha.
  • Ezareth
    Ezareth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

As an aside to this, would it be more beneficial to run 5M/1H/1L with the undaunted passives + regen focus? The extra health, stamina, and magicka from that seems appealing, although I'm just not sure how big of a difference my overall performance would be than with 7M.

As for the rest of your explanation I sincerely appreciate it. I think I will give regen a try after all to see how things are different... just as soon as this maintenance is over haha.

Once again it depends on your playstyle to determine which is more advantageous. I run 7 Medium on my Stamblade because the extra run speed and stam efficiency are better than the bonus 4% to all stats for me. When you have a zerg chasing you through the sewers the slowest member of the pack is killed first. I do a ton of hit and run on my stamblade so squeezing every bit of speed out of my char is important. If you run in group PvP however this becomes less important you're probably better off using 5/1/1.

On a light armor wearer it's pretty much always better to go 5/1/1 instead of pure light because there is the added bonus of higher passive mitigation. On a stam build that part is a wash.

Permanently banned from the forums for displaying dissent: ESO - The Year Behind
    Too Much Bolt Escape - banned for "hacking the game to create movement not otherwise permitted by in game mechanics."
    Ezareth VR16 AD Sorc - Rank 36 - Axe NA
    Ezareth-Ali VR16 DC NB - Rank 20 - Chillrend NA
    Ezareth PvP on Youtube
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I take it you have Divines on at least 5 of your armour? Why not try swapping to Stam regen stone and get a feel for it? Also, try playing around with the CP tree. I found it better on my Magicka Templar having everything in cost reduction on CP tree and Spell power on jewellery. So many ways for Magicka Templars to get their resources back I found regen was a waste.
    Edited by WillhelmBlack on October 28, 2015 8:51PM
    PC EU
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Oh and unless you have racials for stamina bonuses I'd give up now. Stamplars are the worst unfortunately for managing their stamina in combat, unless you're killing, you're not getting stamina back.
    PC EU
  • Alcast
    Alcast
    Class Representative
    What I usually do to get a "acceptable regen" as templar to like 2,4k is:

Endurance Jewelry set (1x Stam Rec/2x Weap dmg)
    Serpent Mundus Stone

Repentance on first bar
    WW ulti on first bar
    100 CP in Mooncalf > If you have less in there you could use bloodspawn shoulder to get extra Rec.

this will put me at approx 2,4k stam rec approx.
    https://alcasthq.com - Alcasthq.com Builds & Guides
    https://eso-hub.com - ESO-Hub.com Sets, Skills, Guides & News
    https://dwemerautomaton.com - Discord, Telegram & Twitch Command Bot

• Erondil
    Erondil
    ✭✭✭✭✭

If you're already running out of stamina frequently then you need 7 medium. The difference is quite huge considering it reduces almost every stamina costs (except block and bash I think). Moreover since you run drinks your pools are probably not that big so 4% max ressource from undaunted passives is really not much.
    ~retired~
    EU server, former Zerg Squad and Banana Squad officer
    Dennegor NB AD, AvA 50 Grand Overlord 24/05/2016
    rekt you NB AD, AvA 32
    Erondil Sorc AD, AvA 23
    Denne the Banana Slayer NB EP, AvA 14
    Darth Dennegor lv50 Stamina NB DC, AvA 19
    Youtube Channel