Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Runestone farming

Psych32
Psych32
Anybody have any tips on how to farm runestones? When I farm ores, it takes 3 to five seconds to five seconds to find the next one. When finding runestones, it takes me 5 to 10 minutes. I heard if you farm in starter zones, you get runes near your enchanting level, is that true?
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not 100 percent, but I think the runes are leveled by zone, not your skill or passive (the exception being the changes made in upcoming DLC). I'm maxed enchanter. If I farm lower level zones, I get lower level runes, and same follows for farming higher levels. This obviously only applies to potency runes, since none of the others have level requirements. Starter islands all have many rune node. So does Craglorn. Everywhere else is too spread out for regular farming IMO, though I'll check known locations in every zone if I'm in the area.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Psych32
    Psych32
    Thx appreciate the assist
  • CP5
    CP5
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The potency runes depend on zone and I think some essence runes only show up in particular level ranges but that could just be me having that kind of luck with the drops. I find that going to the silver/gold starter islands is a good place to go given the low number of players and the higher concentration of nodes. I would check in those places, taking note of where you spot them and seeing if there are a large number up at a time.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Runes tend to show up particularly well at night because of their glow, so try to farm them when it's dark. Snowy areas are also the easiest to spot runestones in because of the colored reflection on the white, so if you are in the Ebonheart Pact, Bleakrock and Eastmarch are a good place to go searching - though as mentioned you will only find zone-leveled potency runes, but of course any essence or aspect rune will be useful.

It seems like I tend to see them near rocks or ruins most often, as opposed to out in fields or by trees.

If you don't have the keen eye passive you might want to try that for any craft you're having trouble finding materials for. Or you can try 'poor man's keen eye' and turn off grass - when on low settings the harvestables tend to stand out a lot more clearly.

Also if you are on PC and don't have the Harvest Map addon, you might check that out. You can specify which types of nodes you want it to mark on you map, and then once you've discovered one you'll always be able to check your map (or have them show on your compass) so you can remember where to look for them again. I use the account-wide settings so that any node I come across with any character will be marked on my map for future reference. This is particularly helpful for seeing where there are more runes clustered so you can make the most productive harvesting rounds.

the esohead site also has maps which show where runes are (along with everything else), but their information is not complete for many of the higher zones as not enough people have submitted their information.
    Edited by Aelthwyn on October 27, 2015 1:40AM
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also do the daily writs as you may get a survey that will lead to to lots of runestones..
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• Kasey-Ann95
    Could buy glyphs from an enchanter and dismantle them for runestones, buy glyphs from guild stores and dismantle them and buy runestones from guilds, expensive but with Runestone Extraction maxed out you'll get runestones quicker than farming lol