Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Playing on the European Megaserver

RizaHawkeye
RizaHawkeye
✭✭✭✭
I hear people discuss how they play on both the NA server and the EU server. I'm just curious how that is done. From what I can gather in my research, it would seem I have to download the entire game again. So I have some questions:

1. What is the benefit, if any, of playing on both servers? It is it just for extra characters?
2. How do I set up my game so I can play on the EU server? Does it require reinstalling the entire game?
3. Currently, I have a 250 gb SSD and a much larger 2 TB storage drive. I've installed ESO on the SSD for maximum performance, but now I only have about 60 gb left. Is that enough room?
4. Is there increase in latency or any performance issues with playing on the EU server from NA.

And just for stats: I'm running Windows 7 Pro on an Intel 3.5 GHz machine with 16 gb ram and a 4 gb Raedon R9 graphics card.

Thanks!
Edited by RizaHawkeye on October 21, 2015 5:40PM
War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

The heroes during times of war, are nothing but mass murderers during times of peace.

Riza Hawkeye

Learn to play, or resign to become one of pieces that is meant to be sacrificed.

Meridia
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play on both servers.

Long story short I am a severe alt-o-holic and I like extra characters. I tried PTS, but every so often they purge your characters so that's not for me.

Then there was the whole "Monday/Maintenance" thing. What do I do when I can't get my ESO fix because of server stuff? So I started playing EU.

So yes, I had to download... sorta the game (I think it's slightly shorter, but not really sure) twice. I use Minion for my addons and found that minion only will install to your default folder - so on EU I am playing addon-free until I actually learn how to do it manually.

I launch from the launcher, and when it loads and the "play" button shows in the lower right corner, there is also a gear thingie in the upper right corner, it will defaul to whatever I played last (American or EU). On the left(ish) more in the middle of the screen will be the PTS (lower) and regular (upper) which supposedly will default to what I played last but in my case for no particular reason it sometimes flips over to PTS.

So for me, it was primarily about characters.

Oddly enough all my EU characters are DC. Just worked out that way.

Another thing to keep in mind is unless you happen to have purchased the Imperial edition or pre-ordered the any race/any faction, you will have to pay crowns for any extras and you have to pay on EACH server. Which I'm cool with, I'm not doing enough on EU (yet) to need any crowns and I sub and don't use many so I do have extra.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • RizaHawkeye
    RizaHawkeye
    ✭✭✭✭
    newtinmpls wrote: »
    ...Another thing to keep in mind is unless you happen to have purchased the Imperial edition or pre-ordered the any race/any faction, you will have to pay crowns for any extras and you have to pay on EACH server. Which I'm cool with, I'm not doing enough on EU (yet) to need any crowns and I sub and don't use many so I do have extra.

That's interesting. So I sub. If download the EU server, do I have to sub once or twice? And if it's once, do I get all the crowns going back to when I first started my sub?

I'm guess a huge NO but, hey, I might get lucky.

As to add-ons: have you considered just copying your add-on folders from the NA server and pasting it into your EU server location?

The heroes during times of war, are nothing but mass murderers during times of peace.

Riza Hawkeye

Learn to play, or resign to become one of pieces that is meant to be sacrificed.

Meridia
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hmmm... I have two accounts that I sub, and each account has both NA and EU characters on it. So for two subs, I could potentially play 8 + 8 + 8 + 8 = 32 characters.

<wipes drool away>

Anyway ... I probably could copy or move or whatever the addons. I've been too chicken to try it so far.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • RizaHawkeye
    RizaHawkeye
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried it (copying addons). It's working fine for me.

Riza Hawkeye

Meridia
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I tried it (copying addons). It's working fine for me.

Until I run into a Play-by-Play idiot proof "how to" I'm still going to stall about it.