Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

VR16 Newb needs help

tasopoulos
tasopoulos
✭✭✭
I totally suck at MMOs! I've been a (great) solo RPG player for the past 25+ years, but I recently got into TESO and got my ass handed to me. After about 3 months I finally reached VR16 yesterday (I only have time to play an average of an hour a day), but like I said, I still suck... especially when it comes to PvP. Any tips on how to improve my character would be greatly appreciated:

I am a DK (2H / bow), with 50 attribute points set on health and 15 set on stamina. I have 141 CPs, I wear 5x Heavy armor and 2x Medium armor (all VR13. haven't even crafted newer ones!), with sets of 4x Hist Bark and 4x Whitestrake's (including weapons), and my bars are Green Dragon Blood, Engulfing Flames, Wrecking Blow, Rally, Charging Maneuver (2H), Green Dragon Blood, Engulfing Flames, Acid Spray, Snipe, Charging Maneuver (Bow) and Ulti is Corrosive Armor for both bars.

So basically I need some help on:

- What armor should I put on? I am a master crafter (50 on Blacksmithing, Clothing, Woodworking and Enchanting), and have most needed materials to craft anything. I also have about 500K gold, 40K tel var stones and 150K alliance points, so is it better if I buy something?
- How should I assign such a small amount of CPs?
- What improvements should I make on my bars?
- Any other advice you may have for a VR16 newb

Thanks a lot in advance, gents and ladies.
  • tasopoulos
    tasopoulos
    ✭✭✭
    Forgot to mention that I also have around 30 60x trophy chests to open (now that I'm VR16), so maybe I can use something from them?
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What are you aiming for? More dps? Because that's quite a tanky build you got with 5 heavy.

If you want more dps, I would suggest swapping Whitestrake for 4 medium Hunding's Rage (+ weapon to make it 5 piece bonus).
    Edited by The Uninvited on October 16, 2015 8:48AM
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    with 50 attribute points set on health and 15 set on stamina.

If youre going for more dmg, id do it the other way around. 50 into stam and 15 into health.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • AAN2
    AAN2
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I'm not exactly an expert on MMOs but here's a couple of pointers.

1. You should go into Options > Gameplay > Battle Level and make sure it's off if you haven't already.
    2. Play your class. You've got a health/stam build which means you are... a tank. Whether tanks are relevant in PVP after the latest nerfs is debatable, but one thing for sure is that you are going to need to group and STAY WITH your group. You're hard to drop, sure, but a good DPS/Health build will be able to withstand your attacks and absolutely destroy you. You will need heals and DPS to support you.
    3. Since you're a blacksmith you'll probably be looking into custom set armor, and the best sets for your current build are debatable. So here's a couple that could provide you with an edge. Armor Master is a decent one for tanking, and so is Way of the Arena. The 5 set choice is up to your gameplay style though.
    4. Group up in PVP, always. Even if they're newbs, it's better than running solo through sewers, city, or even Cyrodiil.
    Say no to drugs.
    And nerfs. Nerfs are bad mm'kay.

• olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh and medium armor is better for sustaining you in combat if you want to keep damaging ppl and trying to go for the kill. I would also focus most of my materials and money to get a v16 weapon first and foremost, because the difference from v15 to v16 is quite noticeable.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • tasopoulos
    tasopoulos
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the help. Does battle level apply to VR characters as well? What are the pros and cons of using it?
  • The Uninvited
    The Uninvited
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    olsborg wrote: »
    with 50 attribute points set on health and 15 set on stamina.

If youre going for more dmg, id do it the other way around. 50 into stam and 15 into health.

Yeah, that too if you want more damage.
    Pandora's Promise (rip) | LND | Pactriotic | IKnowWhatUDidLastWinter's | The Uninvited |

Ride the paranoia | All life is pain | Only the grave is real
  • TheHereticMonk
    Battle leveling is all cons for you. It scales people up to about VR13. If it's on for you then you'll be getting scaled down!
    Never Knows Best!
    GT: TheHereticMonk
    Xbox EU AD DPS/Healer Sorcerer
    Guild Master: Charitable Crafting Co-op <- Everything crafted for FREE!
  • AAN2
    AAN2
    ✭✭✭
    tasopoulos wrote: »
    Thanks for all the help. Does battle level apply to VR characters as well? What are the pros and cons of using it?
    It's great if you're under around V5 (depending on your class/build/etc.) but usually after VR5 it starts to mess with your 'percentages', for lack of a better term.

Battle level assumes that you are average in every aspect in regards to your class and then 'autolevels' you to VR14 (previously VR12). It also makes assumptions about where you'd put your attribute points. For instance, a VR14 complete magicka sorc (who used enchantments and heavy armor buffs for health) would actually lose magicka while using battle level. They would gain health and stam, of course, but since they're used to playing with massive reserves of magicka and magicka regen in PVE, when they hit PVP they find they run out of magicka WAY faster than normal.

And yes, it does appear to negatively impact you if you're over VR14 by 'deleveling' you to VR14.

The pros are that if you are underleveled it gives you a bit of a boost in PVP. That's about it.
    Say no to drugs.
    And nerfs. Nerfs are bad mm'kay.