Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Work on professions or go straight for the horse?

swinwappy
swinwappy
Soul Shriven
Hi, so first off, I'm aware of the DLC or something to get a free horse ingame, but I don't know anything about the DLC itself or whatever. What is it and what's it got with it?

Anyway, main question; I'm level 10 now and I've heard professions can be really useful, however working on them means I have to deconstruct a load of items worth gold. I've also heard a mount is quite handy, even a 15% one for 17,500 gold.

In your experience, what would you recommend I go for first? I mean, I'll get a horse either way, It'll just take longer. Any pros and cons I should be aware of?

Thanks! - Jack
  • Fissh
    Fissh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you want to craft gear as you level? Do you want to walk/run for a little bit more? Are you ok with drop gear?
    I could go on....
    Ask yourself what you want.
    Ultimately, 10-20k will be a drop in the bucket soon enough. So will farming gear for DE crafting. So the only question is what do you want right now?
    <X-Raided>
  • swinwappy
    swinwappy
    Soul Shriven
    Gear, Running around doesn't seem like all too much hasstle. Nice one bud! :smiley:
    Edit: Specially if 17k wont even be much, eventually. Be easier just to craft as I go.

Also, is the level 50 gear I'll be able to craft even any good?
    Edited by swinwappy on October 15, 2015 2:46PM
  • Fissh
    Fissh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    swinwappy wrote: »
    Gear, Running around doesn't seem like all too much hasstle. Nice one bud! :smiley:
    Edit: Specially if 17k wont even be much, eventually. Be easier just to craft as I go.

Also, is the level 50 gear I'll be able to craft even any good?

Yes, crafting is definitely worth it. You will start "min/maxing" at endgame. Crafting will allow for you to have a source of mats, particularly upgrade mats. I recommend saving those upgrade mats as you go (specifically purple and gold). Blue gear is plenty good until then since you level out of it relatively quickly.
    <X-Raided>
  • DannyLV702
    DannyLV702
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just research items as you level up, don't make it a chore. I never chose to be a crafter but here i am lol. I only craft for myself though i don't want to rely on anyone else charging me or anything
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The biggest horse advantage is speed, and then only if you visit Cyrodiil. If you PVP or plan to hunt resources, like sksyshards, in Cyrodiil, go for the horse, and train speed. Otherwise, the horse is a luxury you can easily get later. I don't know if it's true, but I heard you can still train your riding skills without buying a horse. It would be worth checking out, as it's only 250g a day. It would be a big advantage to have this when you finally get a horse.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • PrinceBoru
    PrinceBoru
    ✭✭✭✭
    Get a horse.
    It ain't easy being green.
  • myrrrorb14_ESO
    myrrrorb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crafting!

Research traits as you go along.
    Sell whites and Ornate items.
    Decon everything else!

I've heard it said that crime pays...

Buy the cheapest horse, they are just skins
  • swinwappy
    swinwappy
    Soul Shriven
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    I don't know if it's true, but I heard you can still train your riding skills without buying a horse. It would be worth checking out, as it's only 250g a day. It would be a big advantage to have this when you finally get a horse.

Thanks for the reply! Any idea where this might be?
  • MasterTenacious
    MasterTenacious
    Soul Shriven
    I don't know if it's true, but I heard you can still train your riding skills without buying a horse. It would be worth checking out, as it's only 250g a day. It would be a big advantage to have this when you finally get a horse.

I'm not sure if your able to either, but try the stables in your beginning city (Vulkhel Guard for Aldemeri Dominion). Speak to the NPC and see if they still allow you to train without a mount - worth a try :smiley:
  • AudioVortex
    AudioVortex
    ✭✭
    There's an armour shop in Vulkhel Guard (If you're aldmeri) that you can still a load of items to deconstruct. It will give you a great starting boost for the craft skills. Even high VR levels clean out the shop on a regular basis.
    Vex Carlotta - Templar - Imperial - Aldmeri Dominion - VR2 - Werewolf
    Casamir Naharis - Dragon Knight (Tank) - Dunmer - Aldmeri Dominion - VR10 - Werewolf
    Razelan Azani - Nightblade - Redguard - Daggerfall Covenant - L45
    EU Dominion - Aldmeri Kings
    EU Daggerfall - Daggerfalls Elite
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

All mount training is through the Stablemasters scattered throughout the cities of Tamriel. If you don't have a horse, you will default to the stable tab where you buy a horse. To train a horse, simply choose the other available tab. You may get a message about not owning a horse, but it won't stop you from training one of you attributes, as long as you have 250g.

Don't train any in stamina until speed and capacity are at 60. My training strategy was to alternate between speed and capacity until there was an appreciable difference in speed (20-25), and then train capacity until my bag felt 'roomy'. Training every day will take 6 months to max all training. Of course, you can use crowns for training scrolls to speed this up.....but that was too pricey for me.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)