Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

Is getting the Keen eye perk for ore worth it???

Peircerofhell
I right now have the keen eye perk for wood and love it. I am a heavy armor that runs Bow and duel wield. Is it worth it to get the keen eye perk for ore mats?
  • Oberon45
    Oberon45
    ✭✭✭
    Yes it is. I thought I had a good eye for spotting them on my own prior to getting the perk, but once I did, I couldn't believe how many I must have been missing.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMHO, one point in keen eye is useful for all of the crafting lines. You'd be surprised how many Columbine you have been missing all this time.
    :smile:
  • Jura23
    Jura23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on your settings and experience in exploring. For example I have grass turned off and I see most mats before the glow appears, so there is no point in having that for me.
    Georgion - Bosmer/Templar - PC/EU
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iron Ore is the hardest one to see from a distance, most of the other Ores are easy to see. So, this is one I tend not to use. Alchemy is one I almost always use, sometimes Clothing. But other nodes are easy to see so I don't spend the points.
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Alexa.Darkstar
    I don't have the Keen Eye perk for blacksmithing because that's not my character focus, somehow though, I always end up spotting the ore nodes much easier than all the other ones (minus enchanting), so I don't know how useful it would be. If anything, I would only spend one skill point there. In fact, I only have 1/3 for all my Keen Eye options (Clothing, Alchemy, Woodworking & Enchanting) and I really don't need more than that.
    Glarawen | Bosmer | Archer/Healer | Werewolf | Aldmeri Dominion | VR3
    "There is something magical about losing yourself in a world that doesn't exist"
  • Count_Dracula
    Count_Dracula
    ✭✭✭
    I would get all 3. There are over 300 skill points that you can collect, and that's way more than you'll ever need.
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on where you are and what you are looking for. In the first zone in EP the background is such that jute shows up like anything. Other things that blend in are harder to see.

So I would say 'yes' because anywhere there will be stuff that (by it's coloration and contrast from "local") is easy to see and other stuff that is hard to see.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I just started doing equipment writs on a second character. I have no keen eye on this character. When I went farming in an area I know well, know where the nodes are, I was surprised how much harder it is to see nodes without keen eye, even knowing where the nodes are. You only need 1 skill point to be effective, and I think it is well spent.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • FriedEggSandwich
    FriedEggSandwich
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me personally I have one point in keen eye clothing and 3 points in keen eye alchemy, but none in the rest. I collect ore and wood too but have never had a problem spotting them. 2560x1440 monitor ftw.
    PC | EU
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The other night I was on a gathering materials run with another player. I was on my recently spasticly respecced sorc, and I have no points in keen eye. My friend has maxed keen eye in everything. It was kind of aggravating and amusing how much he was spotting stuff and mostly I wasn't (there were a few things that I knew so well I could see them from much farther than even his "max range" keen eye, but only a few)

After a while we divide up what we are carrying/collecting and I'm doing all the alchemy stuff. He starts reminding me "there is such and so over here" and there was at least three separate times when even standing right on the damn thing, I could barely see the mountain flower or columbine.

I'd say just for those two - which are apperently designed to blend in - keen eye is worth it.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Robbmrp
    Robbmrp
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I right now have the keen eye perk for wood and love it. I am a heavy armor that runs Bow and duel wield. Is it worth it to get the keen eye perk for ore mats?

I have Keen eye for all of the crafting professions even though I'm only maxed in Smithing, Clothing and Woodworking. The other materials are very useful if you have all crafting covered. If you don't, then you can easily sell the raw materials. You'd be surprised how many things you miss in the game without this skill.
    NA Server - Kildair
  • Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    You really only need one point in Keen Eye for all of the crafting skills. And really only Alchemy or Clothing are particularly helpful, at least for me, since Mountain Flower and Columbine are so hard to spot on their own. I also had a hard time with Flax and Cotton.

Ore, Wood, and Enchanting nodes are much easier to spot, so you don't really need them (although Wood is harder to spot depending on the terrain). However, at least one point is useful for all of the crafting lines, since spotting these nodes while you're questing and not purposely farming is helpful. This makes it easier to build up mats, even when you're strictly questing.

As I've earned more spare skill points, I've put them into Keen Eye, since 3/3 in any of them is extremely useful in easily obtaining mats. Yes, you can find them without Keen Eye, but with this skill, especially maxed out, you'll spot so many more nodes so much quicker and easier - makes farming a breeze. Even when just questing, I end up with so many more mats than I used to. However, you have to have spare skill points - don't take away from any skills you need for combat.
  • Glaiceana
    Glaiceana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I used to have it for Blacksmithing and Woodworking, then I realised later that it was wasting skill points I needed elsewhere, because after a while you get used to spotting where the raw items are.
    Priests of Hircine
    Werewolves who bite for FREE! PC/EU
    Our total free bites: 7000+
    Guild Subreddit | Forum Thread | YouTube Playlist
    Total Champion Points: 1000+
    Main Character: Ithaera - Stam DK, Nord, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Rothelnog - Stam NB, Orc, Male, DD, Werewolf.
    J'Xena - Mag DK, Khajiit, Female, DD, Werewolf.
    Dances-With-Frost-Dragons - DK, Argonian, Male, Tank, Werewolf.
    Raziel The Paradox - Mag TP, Dark Elf, Male, DD, Vampire.
    Swims-Through-Starlight - TP, Argonian, Female, Healer, Werewolf.
    Glaicean Mag Ward, High Elf, Male, Ice DD, Werewolf.
    Hjurne Hircine's Forsaken - Sorc, Redguard, Male, PvP DD, Werewolf.
    My Total Free Werewolf Bites: 400+ (Ask me about bites if you need one!)
    Playing since July 2015!
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    There are a host of node location which are hidden from casual observation, most of which I would have known about without Keen Eye 3/3 for all crafting skills for my dedicated crafter (all 6 skills). Definitely worth the SPs for this character.
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
    40 Breton Templar Healer/Tank
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess it works for some ppl, I tried it briefly and got rid of it. Got kind of annoyed by all the glowing nodes... like when you're looking for dwarven ore and run to a node only to see that it's actually orichalcum. The glow lies...
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Paazhahdrimaak
    Paazhahdrimaak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    IMHO, one point in keen eye is useful for all of the crafting lines. You'd be surprised how many Columbine you have been missing all this time.
    :smile:

That was the exact thing I was gonna say.

I only have it on clothing, and alchemy.
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have it on clothing, alchemy, Enchanting, blacksmith and woodwork,

And YES i had been missing alot of mountainflower, columbine, wood, ore and runes.
    PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)

• CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't currently use the Keen Eye perks on my main, however I will pick up those passives when I have some free skill points to use. I find myself constantly looking around for mats and know from a previous character that it's much easier to do a harvesting run when everything is glowing invitingly for you to come hither!
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • bodunk2k
    bodunk2k
    Soul Shriven
    Yup :-) especially at night - it becomes a beacon.
  • Aelthwyn
    Aelthwyn
    ✭✭✭✭
    personally... when playing with my husband's character that has 3 points in keen eye on all the crafts I found that at least during the day I was still spotting most things Before they began to glow, so that pretty much confirmed to me that I don't really need to spend those points on my characters, and as mentioned whenever I play on my laptop with low settings so there's no grass all the harvestables really stand out. And actually sometimes the glow sort of hides what the item is so I can't tell from as far away if it's one I want to bother picking up or not. It can be useful for getting an idea of where the nodes are, but once you've gotten used to where the nodes are (if you've played through areas with several characters or done a lot of farming) it's not quite as useful in my opinion. My other reason for not using this passive is that I love taking screenshots and they don't disappear with the rest of the HUD and such when I take a screenshot so they kind of mess up the landscape....
    (oh and the other reason is that I start obsessively following the lights.... forgetting about where I was going and ending up getting lost, heheh)

Columbine, Mountainflower, and Flax are the only things I don't spot as easily from far away, but I tend to wander around off the path anyways and trip over them often enough without needing to see them from a distance. Out of the ores I think ebony ore is the one I've had the most trouble spotting if it's in a shadowy recess or nighttime. I felt like the lower level ore was really easy to spot up until maybe dwarven, so if you're low on points it probably wouldn't hurt to wait a while before unlocking keen eye.

It's really up to you, whether you feel like you're having a hard time spotting ore or not. You do have to be more actively alert/watching for things without keen eye, whereas with that on you can kind of space out more as you run around and still spot stuff.
    Edited by Aelthwyn on October 17, 2015 3:59AM