Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 23:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – September 23

New crafting mat scaling

mgharris
mgharris
I am not sure I like what I read for the PTS notes on the pending tailoring scaling:

"Hide that is normally provided by an animal will scale to the Tailoring rank of the player character looting the animal. This is to ensure everyone gets materials they can use, at any level."

I see this causing 2 problems:

A level 1 alternate crafter can harvest VR16 materials by killing a lvl 2 NPC. A low level player cannot use VR16 materials, thus the second sentence of the notes contradicts the first.

A VR16 player can kill any NPC to get VR16 materials so they will camp lvl 2 NPCs. The market is already flooded with scraps from the cats in Riften from people farming exp and wax, now if any NPC can drop any material, tailoring materials will plummet in price.
  • rich.magab14a_ESO
    rich.magab14a_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    mgharris wrote: »
    I am not sure I like what I read for the PTS notes on the pending tailoring scaling:

"Hide that is normally provided by an animal will scale to the Tailoring rank of the player character looting the animal. This is to ensure everyone gets materials they can use, at any level."

I see this causing 2 problems:

A level 1 alternate crafter can harvest VR16 materials by killing a lvl 2 NPC. A low level player cannot use VR16 materials, thus the second sentence of the notes contradicts the first.

A VR16 player can kill any NPC to get VR16 materials so they will camp lvl 2 NPCs. The market is already flooded with scraps from the cats in Riften from people farming exp and wax, now if any NPC can drop any material, tailoring materials will plummet in price.

Why dont you test it out on the PTS before you start complaining about it. Also from the Eso live video, mats only scale in
    orsinium. all other area mat nodes work like how they always have
    Loki Ironheart
    Loki Firespitter
    Gattica!!
  • mgharris
    mgharris
    Alas. Reading PTS notes and access to PTS is not always directly correlated.

Just predicting an unanticipated economic impact of a change.
  • Ourorboros
    Ourorboros
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm sure we'll get word on how this works on PTS soon. I would expect mats to scale up but not down. So a v16 farming low levels will get only low level mats. And the 5-level rule should still apply. I don't think a v16 farming Riften cats will be getting a lot of rubedo leather (though sure that would make us happy). We'll see shortly.
    PC/NA/DC
    Breton Sorcerer Maester.White - BB meets GoT >Master Crafter< { 9 Traits completed 4/23/15 }
    TANSTAAFL--->There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.....Robert Heinlein
    Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea....Heinlein
    All those moments will be lost in time, like tears...in...rain. Time to die. "Blade Runner"
    ESO: the game you hate to love and love to hate....( >_<) May RNG be with you (*,_,*)
  • Drax76
    Drax76
    ✭✭✭
    The Level which they are referring to isn't the Character but the Material Passive level.

So someone that has spent 10 skill points in it has a chance of attaining the materiel which they can craft, even if their character cannot yet use the product due to insufficient Character level.
    Edited by Drax76 on October 16, 2015 7:55AM
    PS4 - NA - AD
    v16 Khajiit NB Tank
    40 Breton Templar Healer/Tank
  • Johngo0036
    Johngo0036
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @mgharris - I think you need to re-read those notes,

A level 1 player cannot be level 50 in crafting already,

As a VR16 Crafter you will not get level 2 npc's,
    also you HAVE A CHANCE of getting vr16 loot from nodes and animals.

I have a VR14 Char on PTS,
    With looting animals for materials i got 2 pieces ov VR16 Mat from about 15 animals i killed, and not all animals give you mats..

PC EU Megaserver
    @Johngo0036
    CP900+
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer |The-Irritable-Witch(DC)
    Orc Stamina Dragonknight | Gru-Bolar(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Nightblade | Chewbucca(DC)
    Khajit Stamina Nightblade | Gleaming Daggers(DC)
    Altmer Magicka Nightblade | Miss Chewbucca(EP)
    Argonian Magicka Templar | Walks-With-Friends(EP)
    Argonian Templar Healer | Dr Toxic(EP)
    Orc Stamina Sorc | Lady Streaks-Alot(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka DK | Whips-n-Chains(DC)
    Nord Warden | Demi Tank(DC)
    Dunmer Magicka Warden | Crafter-O-Crafts(DC)
    Bosmer Stamplar | Forest-Plump(DC)
    Argonian Hybrid Nb | Men-O-Paws(DC)
    Bosmer Stamblade | 'Maui(AD)
    Altmer Magicka Sorcerer | Mid-Life-Crisis(AD)