The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Let's talk Wrothgar resource nodes

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    umagon wrote: »
    The problem I am having is even with everything maxed out in blacksmithing I only find maybe one V16 node for every 15 void stone nodes I come across. And seeing it takes 150 ingots to make one armor piece I am finding this to be really annoying. And to be honest if they this intentionally it will be the first and last dlc I buy. I am not going to spend nearly 2 months farming to craft one set only to have them turn around and increase the vet cap again.

The problem is that ruby nodes are often going to be snapped up by anyone running past, even if they aren't farming. So while the drop rate on paper is much higher, the effective rate, especially during prime time, is much lower.

You are more likely to get mats from decon trash than nodes. As long as your character is V15+, you can decon all the loot you get. One mat per piece of loot, but it adds up.

Prices are dropping steadily, especially on rubedite and ruby ash. I'd put stacks priced to move in guild stores and they haven't sold - the supply is out there. If you need these, go farm gold instead if you prefer that. Ancestor silk and rubedo leather are more precious.
  • Danksta
    Danksta
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ourorboros wrote: »
    My only VR16 is also fully leveled in all crafts. I haven't learned all weapons and skill lines, but since I can only use 10/2 at one time, I have more than enough skill points to do crafting, have a large number of skills and passives, and still have skill points left over. Any reason your crafters can't do quests? And if you don't want to, I would guess they can still harvest in Orsinium, though that is not ideal or time-efficient.

I have to admit I'm in the same situation - my only VR16 is a fully maxed crafter. And having declared my bias, I'm all for the way Orsinium is designed :)

Having said that, I'm not too sure that this is the best way forward for crafting (and the majority of crafters), but then again it's an improvement on IC.

Now, if only they'd do something about upping the writ requirements... and rewards.

YES!! They need to let us choose what level writs we do!
    BawKinTackWarDs PS4/NA

• EQBallzz
    EQBallzz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because I really want to be able to harvest more than iron ore while I'm exploring and completing quests in Wrothgar on *both* of my high level characters (and because I'm a masochist apparently) I went ahead and leveled up Woodworking, Blacksmithing and Clothing on my SECOND character over the last few days. It only cost me about 150k in gold to buy deconstructing items and XP pots and 2 nights of deconstructing. FUN!

Can't wait for my V4 Sorcerer to get to Wrothgar... o.O

• phreatophile
    phreatophile
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EQBallzz wrote: »
    Because I really want to be able to harvest more than iron ore while I'm exploring and completing quests in Wrothgar on *both* of my high level characters (and because I'm a masochist apparently) I went ahead and leveled up Woodworking, Blacksmithing and Clothing on my SECOND character over the last few days. It only cost me about 150k in gold to buy deconstructing items and XP pots and 2 nights of deconstructing. FUN!

Same here, those last couple points in each craft are painfully slow.

Deconstructing alt-made VR14 gear moves that bar just a little each time.

Add to that farming skyshards in Craglorn and Cyrodil for the skill points so I can gather at my level.

Takes forever.
  • Dagonthir
    Dagonthir
    ✭✭✭
    This topic has also been recently discussed at http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/222451/official-feedback-thread-for-crafting-node-scaling#latest. I also have crafting spread across 3 characters, and I have all of the skills maxed out between the three of them. So I've done my time to get crafting up, and so it sucks now I have to do it again on each of my characters just to harvest useful nodes. It seems to me that most people don't like the way it works, but the people that do either only play one character that is also their crafter, or they're elitists that don't want everyone harvesting high level nodes. Some people feel like they're being "rewarded" for doing all of the crafting on one character, and don't seem to have much sympathy for people that spread their crafting out.

Anyhow, I don't like it either - it's just not fun. I just want to be able to do quests in Wrothgar on any of my characters and harvest useful nodes that my character can use. Scaling to character level seems like it would have been the no-brainer solution to this, especially since gear that you pick up scales to character level, so it really sucks they decided instead to scale nodes to skill passive.
  • Casdha
    Casdha
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It appears that some folks may be happier after TG drops. It looks like all scaling nodes will now drop VR15/16 mats if you have the appropriate skill points taken. No more Void or Kura/Kude nodes if you have max skill points for that type on a character.

It is still character dependant meaning the character gets nodes according to the points they have spent, but it won't be near as hard to get them and the price will drop considerably in the guild stores.
    Edited by Casdha on February 5, 2016 6:16AM
    Proud member of the Psijic Order - The first wave - The 0.016%

• Dagonthir
    Dagonthir
    ✭✭✭
    If it's still character dependent then it's still bad for those of us with multiple characters. What sucks about the scaling is that we have to level up all of our characters to level 50 in each of the crafting professions, which is a huge grind if you don't have the money to buy gear to decon. If they just scaled nodes to character level, then I think that would solve the problem of having alts, and it would still be good for people who only play one character. Then, everyone who's vet 16 can find the vet 15/16 nodes everywhere that the scaling nodes are, and everyone else will still get level appropriate materials. It's baffling to me why they didn't just scale nodes to character level instead of crafting passive. It's killing my enthusiasm for the game (which I've loved since day 1).
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you have multiple characters, just have one make decon gear for the others that need leveling. Am I the only one with more void mats than I can possibly sell from farming nirn? It's perfect for this purpose.
  • Dagonthir
    Dagonthir
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've thought about that, but it's still painful and not a very fun gaming experience. Games are supposed to be fun, not work. I really don't see what having the nodes scale to skill level offers over having nodes scale to character level.
  • Appleblade
    Appleblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Found this thread searching for info.

So my V12 current playing character with no crafting skills finds lowest level stuff. Useless. I have endless stacks of that.

I send my V11 crafter, with 50 across the board in crafts, and she finds the V15-16 stuff. Useless, at least for now.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Would be much more useful for the character I am playing to gather the mats she needs for her level while questing. Scaling the nodes to skill level is useless as shown above.
  • Mike0987
    Mike0987
    ✭✭✭
    I have 3 master crafters in all the crafting skill lines and have simply played in other areas to get the lower materials. I dont see much of an issue with how its setup now. If crafing is maxed, it would be nice if you could select what level wrothgar and hew's bane drops since there are more resource nodes that respawn at a higher rate, but isnt realy necessary. I can simply go to other areas that are leveled and explore once again.
  • Appleblade
    Appleblade
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dunno, man I've looked at it every which way, and having the nodes leveled to your character level just seems the most practical for the most use cases. That's how everything else was, and the enemy loot drops are still character level scaled. Like you said, an option would be nice even if it's just a switch between skill level scaling and character level scaling.