The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

FPS Issues even with a GTX 970?

• ZOS_MollyH
    Greetings,

If you are still experiencing FPS issues, please be sure to submit a ticket with the information requested, and provide your ticket number here. Thanks again.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    have. Twice. Week+ ago. No response. As was expected. Shall I send yet another?
  • Baraz
    Baraz
    ✭✭✭
    A moderator closed a thread and asked us to post here instead...
    Though our thread was not about FPS as such, but about a stutter or lag effect every 2 or 5 seconds which can have many possible causes (no matter FPS). Here goes anyhow ...
    __
    I started having this issue with the Orsinium patch (Oct. 2015) : I have a slight lag every 5 feet I take. It's so subtle I can ignore it and play. Except when I try to picklock a chest, then the slight hiccups throws me off.

Might be due to my ping being between 110 and 180 on average or it's a CPU bottleneck (game was using 94% of the CPU tonight).

Anyhow, need to test more to be sure (have not played in a month or so and just came back).

New theory : Skorol007 says it may be due to those Add-Ons that show FPS-Ping, though FTC was not the culprit.
  • Runicus
    have. Twice. Week+ ago. No response. As was expected. Shall I send yet another?

Same for me. I'm up to 3 tickets on fps/lag issues. If number was given on the spot I'd share but it's not.

Also, I was a paid subscriber up until today but 2 loading screens while running (stutteringly at 9 FPS) through the city is poor incentivization for me to further pursue payments. Until this is found a resolution I opted to vote with my wallet and cancelled my subscription. If a resolution is not found when pre-paid sub period is depleted then Wildstar is where it'll be. I already have a premium account and maxed character waiting for my attention. I'm just one guy but it'll reach 500 soon and maybe it'll make someone at ZOS increase the priority threshold and escalate the issue more rapidly to engineering team.

Frankly guys, there are lots of entries on the forums on this issue and I can't believe it's hard to replicate on your end. If you dedicated the resources, gather a few machines with the problem and worked with process of elimination you would find it. This is going to be an old issue soon and my feeling is delays are intentional. We paid upfront so the burden of risk stands on customers' shoulders as ZOS already has the money and players who don't play is actually a cost reduction. Meanwhile I'd wager your engineers are focused on console software (where the bulk of business is) and PCs are put on hold indefinitely. The very little amount of feedback and real, concrete solutions we've heard sort of confirms it.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I am seeing people with worse graphics cards than mine run ESO at a steady 60FPS on Ultra High, but for me if I go into a town it immediately drops to like 35-37 FPS, and it's noticeable and awfully annoying. I have a GTX 970, with an i7-2600 CPU, I was just wondering if there's anything anyone can tell me to make my frames stay steady at 60 FPS.

Stay out of town and you should get steady 60 fps. I'm not saying that the current state is acceptable, but GPU probably is not relevant to the FPS problems in certain towns.
  • Idinuse
    Idinuse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since threads are getting locked and moved, I'm putting my issue in this thread.

Ever since last weeks patch I've had this micro "stutter"/"hickhup"/"freeze" (don't quite know how to discribe it). I recently got new components for my system, and everything was smooth as silk. Everywhere. Teleport in Cyro was instant, even lag in big fights was really ok, movement smooth.

Since last weeks patch, no matter what I try I can't get rid of the micro hickup every 5-10 feet I take straight forward, by foot or mounted.

I also noticed that the animation when in the Champion Points menu is choppy where it previously was smooth, now it "feels" as if it's not GPU accelerated.

I was thinking on waiting to post untill after todays patch, but figured I'd post feedback about it now and follow up after trying todays patch.

Does anyone know if the energy saving scaling of the CPU frequency and voltage has any impact on game performance?
    Sed ut perspiciatis unde omnis iste natus error sit voluptatem accusantium dolorem que laudantium, totam rem aperiam, eaque ipsa quae ab illo inventore veritatis et quasi architecto beatae vitae dicta sunt explicabo. Nemo enim ipsam voluptatem quia voluptas sit aspernatur aut odit aut fugit, sed quia consequuntur magni dolores eos qui ratione voluptatem sequi nesciunt. Neque porro quisquam est, qui dolorem ipsum quia dolor sit amet, consectetur, adipisci velit, sed quia non numquam eius modi tempora incidunt ut labore et dolore magnam aliquam quaerat voluptatem. Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur? Quis autem vel eum iure reprehenderit qui in ea voluptate velit esse quam nihil molestiae consequatur, vel illum qui dolorem eum fugiat quo voluptas nulla pariatur?
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hi @AtmaDarkwolf !

Since you have submitted a ticket, can we please have your ticket number? Thanks!
    Staff Post
  • me_ming
    me_ming
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok followed all the advice from both others and the zenimax crew here. And i'd be happy if I could pull a 15-20 fps in pvp.

Right now it drops. EVERY time to 1-5 fps. I am not kidding.

Changing all settings to the lowest possible setting = NO resulting difference, same fps drops to dirt low.

Disable all addons, no change.

reinstall game(REALLY sick of doing this, already overcapped my bandwidth use re downloading that huge freaking thing AGAIN, STOP SUGGESTING THIS, wouldn't be so bad if I could download the entire install file and park it somewhere, but as it is to 'make sure the files are not corrupt' a re-download is about the only thing to do. And it does NOT HELP.)

No matter what, fps WILL drop to 1-5 when in ANY 'medium to large' scale pvp battle (IE: 5 on 5, 10v 10, whatever) it makes the game unplayable, and I end up feeling like a useless tool in cyro.

I am sure people are going to suggest I need an upgrade. After spending what I did to build a rig that can eat GTAV at ultra settings without any hitch, I would suggest that that is NOT the issue.

i7 4790k, 32gigs ram, dual GTX 980ti's in SLI, on a hero VII board. My HARDWARE isn't the issue. Nor is the chance of 'virus or malware' since 1: the system was just put together, and I am very careful about what I'm doing online, and 2: scans are run daily by 4 seperate anti malware programs(malwarebytes, spybot, etc) and I have a up to date anti virus (which also does antimalware too) bit defender.

I have heard others, with lower end systems, who have NO issues with pvp(Maybe the odd stutter during large engagements, but for the most part, I am the only one who has his dps drop to such abysmal values)

Please zenimax, find a fix. (Also your ticket system needs an upgrade, or a way to access it a LOT easier)

I have completely abandoned PvP. I had FPS drops in the past, but it was still playable. This time around, I am getting 2 FPS at most, when I am in Cyrodiil (happens when I am nearing a group-- not exactly zergs but even 5-10 people groups). It's just unplayable. I have more or less the same specs as you have. And have only gotten this FPS drops since the IC patch. Like I said, I use to have FPS drops, but really, it didn't bother me, because it was playable, I was still able to do things. I don't need super high FPS (would be nice if I could), but all I really want is a server that I can actually play PvP.
    "We're heroes, my boon companion, and heroes always win! Let that be a lesson to you."
    -Caldwell, "The Final Assault"

"There is always a choice. But you don't get to choose what is true, you only get to choose what you will do about it..."

-Abnur Tharn, "God of Schemes"]
  • AtmaDarkwolf
    AtmaDarkwolf
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Hi @AtmaDarkwolf !

Since you have submitted a ticket, can we please have your ticket number? Thanks!

151022-001799

Got reply this morning... it wants me to do survey telling you how great your support was ROFL!

Got no help, someone up there just up and 'closed' all my tickets.

Honestly think that you could have avoided ALL of these issues years ago by making a 64 bit client. Crap, u lot should have written one up by now. You are working on one, right? I mean... you do intend to be around for some time I hope.
    Edited by AtmaDarkwolf on October 27, 2015 12:44PM
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hey @AtmaDarkwolf ,

We see that you're using the NVidia driver from 10/2. Can you please try an earlier driver? There have been some reports of players resolving some of what you're seeing by doing a fresh install of an older driver. There may be some issues related to Windows 10 and this specific driver.

We see that your ticket is currently being assigned to an agent, so you should receive a one-on-one response soon. Thanks for your patience.
    Staff Post
  • Fugue
    Fugue
    Soul Shriven
    Hello!

So I'm adding myself to the problem list. The incident I've started is 150930-001508. I'm getting less than 60 fps in towns a lot of times 30 fps or lower. Usually in the 40s. If I go to the outlaw refuge in windhelm, interestingly, 60 fps (with vsync on) solid. Crime does pay.

Lowering any graphics settings has no effect.

I'm particularly interested if anyone out there has a similar setup to compare results with. Well, or of course a zenimax or user that has a solution would be even better!

Oh by the way, I have a compare system here with an i5/gtx 980 and they are having none of the problems (we share the same ISP).

@ZOS_MollyH, which older driver? I'll try it.

My specs:

Hardware
    asus p868-v pro/gen3 latest bios
    Cpu i7-2600k 3.4GHz
    16GB Ram
    Nvidia Gtx980 Ti

Software
    Win 10 x64
    Nvidia drivers 358.50
    Edited by Fugue on October 29, 2015 1:18AM
  • ZOS_MollyH
    Hi @Fugue !

Several players have reported rolling back to 355.82 with success. Please let us know if this helps! We've added your ticket information to the report. Thanks again!
    Staff Post
  • Fugue
    Fugue
    Soul Shriven
    Hi @ZOS_MollyH

I just wanted to report back: I uninstalled my current driver (using DDU) and installed 355.82 for Win10x64. It didn't help, unfortunately. Thanks for including my ticket information. Could you also pass on that I'd be willing to help troubleshoot this issue? I'm an application developer, so I'd be able to take instruction if the devs would like to do some low level troubleshooting. I'll be your guinea pig!
  • Cadelay
    Cadelay
    ✭✭✭
    I have FPS issues with older drives and the newest drivers on my GTX 970, Windows 8.1, i7 and 6gb RAM.

0 fps in big pvp groups is absolutely ridiculous with a PC like mine.

I also have a wired internet connection, and have opened all outbound ports and firewall exceptions, as listed earlier.

No difference. This is a client/server side issue.
  • Anasatsudo
    Anasatsudo
    ✭✭
    There is definitely an issue with their servers / data center. The way that ZoS is handling this reminds me exactly of how Tera was when it first started.

More than likely, the issue with ping rate and FPS drops is due to several factors. Outbound network bandwidth from the server, bad network architecture, and a poorly optimized server + client.

BTW, I normally get around 30-40 FPS, i7-950, 12gb RAM, GTX 980. My ping rate in PVP will go from 110ms ping (very, very bad), to upwards to 400-600 ping.

Funny how I can run a highly unoptimized game, with stereoscopic rendering, in VR (2 views being rendered), with tons of particle effects, AI going everywhere, etc.. at 92 FPS (using UE4).. lol.

[Moderator Note: Edited per our rules on Threats]
    Edited by ZOS_RiedL on November 1, 2015 2:33PM
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_MollyH wrote: »
    Hi @Fugue !

Several players have reported rolling back to 355.82 with success. Please let us know if this helps! We've added your ticket information to the report. Thanks again!

That doesn't work. I actually updated to those drivers and no change.

I really think it is due to server population in a specific location. Really busy cities have horrible fps and microstutter/lag. But when out in the open in some random area, no problems.
  • StrangerFull
    StrangerFull
    ✭✭✭
    Core i5 6600k, 16Gb RAM DDR4 3000Mhz, GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Home x64, 4k resolution (Dell P2715q) no FPS issues but if I play 30-40 minutes FPS drops from 55-60 to 25-30. Using /reloadui solve this problem for a time. Seems addons drops FPS or something else.
    Edited by StrangerFull on November 2, 2015 9:35AM
  • Methariorn
    Methariorn
    ✭✭✭
    Core i7 4790k oc 4.6ghz, 32GB DDR3, GTX 980 SLI, Windows 8.1 x64, 2K resolution. PvP is total crap when a medium to large scale battle is on. Beside the perma lag there is a drop on frame rate as low as 5-7fps during some fight. This is not home hardware issue since all other game I play go very well (included GTA 5 and the Witcher 3 who are power horse for system spec). I've try a lot of nVidia drivers to no good: this is a client/server problem you need to fix asap or Cyrodill will be a desert land soon.
    Methariorn sorc EU server AD
    Acciughina NB EU server AD
    Aiacos Templar EU server AD
    Sevoltan DK EU server AD
  • blubbi4ever
    Hello,

I have the same problem. 30-40 fps in town (e.g.Glenumbra or towns with many structures), sometimes under 10 fps during medium/large battles in Cyrodiil. My Notebook is a bit old (i7-2630qm, AMD 6990m, 16GB RAM, Win10 64bit), but even with a 640x480 resolution and lowest graphic settings I'm only getting about the same fps with 1080p medium/high graphics settings. I've tried everything suggested for maximum performance (reinstalled ESO, tweak usersettings, starting ESO.exe as admin, delete shadercache, disabled addons, overclock, fullscreen mode), but didn't make that much difference. Outside of town/battle I have 60fps most of the time with high graphics settings (V-Sync on with D3D Overrider).
    Now I'm planning to buy a PC (i7-6700k-based), but honestly I'd like to spend my money on crowns or an eso plus membership instead of new hardware. Furthermore, after reading many posts about low fps even on powerful Systems, I guess upgrading won't help much either.
    Now I'm just logging in to research some items and logout because of the framerate issues. I think it's time for some performance patches.
  • Che2355
    Che2355
    Soul Shriven
    Hi Guys,

i had the same issues and waited for the DLC Update to see if it comes from ESO... it did not.
    (StrangerFull perfectly described the same issue that i had)

first my specs:

Intel i4790
    16GB Ram
    Nvidia GTX 780
    Win 10 64 Bit
    Driver: 358.30
    All ESO Settings to Ultra/High and/or maxed out.

I had to change something in the NVIDIA control panel and BAM 60-stable FPS again.

Here is an ( i know old, but helpful) link from the nvidia support:

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130/~/setting-power-management-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

Edit: -> Set it to Prefer maximum performance!

So this did the trick for me and everything works fine now. It did not change this option and purpose and guessing that it is and power-save setting from Windows 10
    Please let me know if it worked for you too.

Cheers,
    Che
    Edited by Che2355 on November 3, 2015 7:25AM
  • Destimion
    Destimion
    Che2355 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

i had the same issues and waited for the DLC Update to see if it comes from ESO... it did not.

first my specs:

Intel i4790
    16GB Ram
    Nvidia GTX 780
    Win 10 64 Bit

I had to change something in the NVIDIA control panel and BAM 60-stable FPS again.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3130/~/setting-power-management-mode-from-adaptive-to-maximum-performance

So this did the trick for me and everything works fine now. It did not change this option and purpose and guessing that it is and power-save setting from Windows 10

Cheers,
    Che

This might have helped a little bit, but its barely noticeable
    And i don't think the issue lies within the gpu..
    When u enter big cities with allot of npc's, characters, its the cpu that's doing all the work. Doing calculations etc...
    ofc the gpu is also used. But again, i don't think the gpu is the problem here.
    whenever i watch hwmonitor the gpu is only working for like 40%, 60% MAX. While the cpu cores are at almost 100% and some of them reached 100%.

Even with shadows turned to medium cities can make my fps drop to like 30....

Build:

i7 4790k
    gtx 980
    8 gb ram

These specs should be enough to handle the game on max graphics. I tried multiple nvidia drivers but with no noticable
    changes.

And with the game expanding (dlc & more players)
    Performance patches are a must. Please focus on performance before u release the next dlc.
    And i'm sure players prefer performance fixes over more content.
    If u do it this way i think ESO will be around for a LOONG time.
    Edited by Destimion on November 3, 2015 2:59PM
  • Destimion
    Destimion
    Destimion wrote: »
    Che2355 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

first my specs:

Intel i4790
    16GB Ram
    Nvidia GTX 780
    Win 10 64 Bit

Cheers,
    Che

This might have helped a little bit, but its barely noticeable
    And i don't think the issue lies within the gpu..
    When u enter big cities with allot of npc's, characters, its the cpu that's doing all the work. Doing calculations etc...
    ofc the gpu is also used. But again, i don't think the gpu is the problem here.
    whenever i watch hwmonitor the gpu is only working for like 40%, 60% MAX. While the cpu cores are at almost 100% and some of them reached 100%.

Even with shadows turned to medium cities can make my fps drop to like 30....

Build:

i7 4790k
    gtx 980
    8 gb ram

These specs should be enough to handle the game on max graphics. I tried multiple nvidia drivers but with no noticable
    changes.

And with the game expanding (dlc & more players)
    Performance patches are a must. Please focus on performance before u release the next dlc.
    And i'm sure players prefer performance fixes over more content.
    If u do it this way i think ESO will be around for a LOONG time.

Somehow i double posted by accident (sorry my mistake)
    Edited by Destimion on November 3, 2015 2:59PM
  • blubbi4ever
    I've found a video, which is quite up-to-date. While it's focusing on vRAM-usage, the video also shows the fps with a GTX 970 + i7 @ 3,4ghz. Even with such a powerful system, it barely holds the 60fps and goes even down to 30fps in town.
    Now imagine a battle in cyrodiil. Compared to other games, this is just poorly optimized.

• PukeyFromSweden
    In regards to power options, there is more to it than just your video card.

You can also change power options in your control panel. Unless it's on max performance there and NOT 'balance' you will get crap fps in certain games. I had this in World of Warcraft.

Don't think it's just a laptop thing - desktops are also affected by this.

In win7 it's at Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options
    Edited by PukeyFromSweden on November 5, 2015 11:01AM
  • Che2355
    Che2355
    Soul Shriven
    The power solution did not last very long.

It is something like this -> the longer i play, the more framedrops i got.

I have now found a solution for me that has not disappointed me so far . ( playing 6 straight hours without problems )

Again i did some google reserach ... then:

In the UserSettings.ini i change SET GPUSmoothingFrames "10" to SET GPUSmoothingFrames "0" .
    Now everything is fine!!

Give it a try. Maybe this helps!
  • Che2355
    Che2355
    Soul Shriven
    bump
  • saki
    saki
    ✭✭✭
    Tried without addons and with them, it is same. Fps is droping in town to 42. Really dont know why. 4770k & 970gtx.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I too have a lot of fps issues and latency, and had to go back to low-med settings for game stability, even after upgrading to a gtx980. Disabling addons doesn't help.

And @ZOS_MollyH, please understand that most of us are not opening support cases. It happens all the time, to almost everybody. The experiences many of us have getting either canned responses that immediately close our tickets, or snide and condescending personal responses (also usually immediately closing the ticket) make zeni seem apathetic to the ongoing issues.
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • xeledon
    xeledon
    ✭✭
    This is bonkers. I have the same problem, except my FPS seems to be almost locked at 17.
    My old pc had a i5-2500 w/ gtx560 and use to run the game fine at around 45fps until about a month ago. It randomly dropped to the 17 and have been there ever since. Changing settings made no difference.
    So I upgraded my computer (or built a new one) with the i7-4790k w/ gtx980 and that made no difference at all.
    Customer support is completely ***. They suggest the same thing multiple times. They pass the support to different people who have no idea what you have tried because they did not read. They replied both of those responses to me and I said the same thing to them. How is my internet gonna effect my FPS ? It has nothing to do with my internet.
    Changing settings makes no difference, as does removing/disabling addons.
    This does not make sense anymore because my new pc setup should be more than capable of running this game maxed out.
    I have completely uninstalled the game and reinstalled and that did nothing either.
    The only thing i have not done yet was reinstall windows, which I should never have to do anyways.
    I may just have to anyways because the whole reason for my upgrading to a new pc was to play this game better, but it have led me to cancel my ESO plus and log on a few times a week to see if anything is better only to be disappointed.
    Hopefully they will fix their game.
  • RinaldoGandolphi
    RinaldoGandolphi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I find it curious.....Ever since this game was released on Console, my performance has gotten better...with an AMD FX 8350 OC slightly above 9370 levels.

In Cyrodiil now i never drop below 30 FPS even in those huge zerg lag blobs with 70-80+ people on screen, , i get a red ping, but my FPS don't drop below 30.

Im gonna go out on a limb and say this game is optimized for AMD hardware....this game runs 150% better on my AMD hardware then it did at launch...the console launch was the big turning point for me performance wise in a positive direction.

Edited by RinaldoGandolphi on November 16, 2015 9:16PM
    Rinaldo Gandolphi-Breton Sorcerer Daggerfall Covenant
    Juste Gandolphi Dark Elf Templar Daggerfall Covenant
    Richter Gandolphi - Dark Elf Dragonknight Daggerfall Covenant
    Mathias Gandolphi - Breton Nightblade Daggerfall Covenant
    RinaldoGandolphi - High Elf Sorcerer Aldmeri Dominion
    Officer Fire and Ice
    Co-GM - MVP

Sorcerer's - The ONLY class in the game that is punished for using its class defining skill (Bolt Escape)

"Here in his shrine, that they have forgotten. Here do we toil, that we might remember. By night we reclaim, what by day was stolen. Far from ourselves, he grows ever near to us. Our eyes once were blinded, now through him do we see. Our hands once were idle, now through them does he speak. And when the world shall listen, and when the world shall see, and when the world remembers, that world will cease to be. - Miraak