Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Do Skill Books Work the Same as in Skyrim?

Aelthwyn
Aelthwyn
✭✭✭✭
I'm sorry if this is a stupid question and I've missed some obvious information somewhere, but I'm just wondering if the skill increases from books are limited the same as in Skyrim where after you've read a book once you won't gain a skill level the next time you see it and there is only a small number of books that enhance each skill available? (like 5 for each skill, or whatever) I'm guessing this is the case, but I just wanted to verify it.

I'm wondering because I recall in Skyrim it was best to hold off reading books until later because getting a free level in a skill later on was a much better deal than getting it right away. And I'm wondering if it's worth continuing to check bookshelves after a while.... are you likely to find all of them pretty early on if you start out activating every bookshelf? Or is one of each distributed in each zone or something? Anyways, just curious.
  • Jitterbug
    Jitterbug
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't know for sure but I have a feeling that each bookshelf have a chance to increase a random skill line, and you can only increase through books so many times.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I'm not sure how they're distributed, I think it's random, but otherwise they work the same as Skyrim: limited number of books, each raises the skill only once. Class books raise all three class skills at once.

Unless it was changed at some point, there are no books increasing restoration staff skill.

I prefer to read them to unlock and morph individual skills earlier instead of holding off, but that's just me. Waiting seems more beneficial for crafting skills, but you never know which book you're going to get.
    Edited by Rosveen on October 2, 2015 10:28AM