The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Something seems off with inspiration...

UltimaJoe777
UltimaJoe777
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So I have my main whom is currently VR3 starting up Blacksmithing, Clothing, and Woodworking for achievement purposes and my alts that are more focused on each individual one whom are levels 19- and are already 45+ in their respective craft and it seems like those lower level alts gain more inspiration deconstructing stuff of their crafting level than my main does. So is it just me or do high level players seem to gain less inspiration at low level crafting skill compared to low level players with higher crafting skill levels?
Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    With the new changes to deconstructing stolen items, gaining Inspiration through deconstruction seems to creep along in general, regardless of what you're breaking down. This is going to seriously boost the value of all Intricate items.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • UltimaJoe777
    UltimaJoe777
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    CGPsaint wrote: »
    With the new changes to deconstructing stolen items, gaining Inspiration through deconstruction seems to creep along in general, regardless of what you're breaking down. This is going to seriously boost the value of all Intricate items.

That isn't the case here though. This is the case:

Let's say your VR12 has 5 Clothing and deconstructs a Superior Quality Hide Jack he found while PvEing. Now let's say your Lv20 alt that has 45 Clothing does the same except it's Shadowhide. The 2 drops were found by these characters so they are on even terms. Based on my analysis the Lv20's Clothing meter would gain more than the VR12's would. That is the case I am presenting here and am wondering if anyone else has noticed this too as well as if it may be some kind of diminishing effect for starting crafting so late-game?
    Edited by UltimaJoe777 on September 29, 2015 7:16PM
    Guildmaster of Power With Numbers in PS4 NA Server's Aldmeri Dominion.
    Proud Founder of the Yaysay cult! DOWN WITH THE NAYSAY CULT!! #ToxicRemedy
  • Eleusian
    Eleusian
    ✭✭✭

The nerf was real to stolen items 4 inspiration. Still haven't found the change listed in the pages of patch notes.
    PS4 NA
  • CGPsaint
    CGPsaint
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eleusian wrote: »

The nerf was real to stolen items 4 inspiration. Still haven't found the change listed in the pages of patch notes.

Definitely a stealth nerd. If you launder stolen items first, then you can still gain Inspiration from deconstructing them. I've still found that it's easier, and quicker to just quest for loot to deconstruct.
    "Some enjoy bringing grief to others. They remind M'aiq of mudcrabs—horrible creatures, with no redeeming qualities."
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's say your VR12 has 5 Clothing and deconstructs a Superior Quality Hide Jack he found while PvEing. Now let's say your Lv20 alt that has 45 Clothing does the same except it's Shadowhide. The 2 drops were found by these characters so they are on even terms. Based on my analysis the Lv20's Clothing meter would gain more than the VR12's would. That is the case I am presenting here and am wondering if anyone else has noticed this too as well as if it may be some kind of diminishing effect for starting crafting so late-game?

Lower level characters don't gain as much inspiration from an object as higher level's do anymore. The days of a L4 character deconning a VR9+ item and almost gaining a skill rank are over. While you do get more inspiration from higher level items as a low level, but not as much as if you were near the VR level of the item. In fact in some ways it is better to start crafting at VR ranks, you get the most inspiration from deconning an object, you rocket up the crafting skills and you have skill points to spend.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• SpAEkus
    SpAEkus
    ✭✭✭✭
    ^^Yes there have been IP penalties for lower craft skill than the material for a long time now.

Most of the penalties dissipate as you reach within a few craft skill levels of the material you are deconning.

As soon as Orsinium loads on PTS I'll re-check the numbers and post somewhere in crafting.
    Edited by SpAEkus on October 6, 2015 1:56AM
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SpAEkus wrote: »
    Most of the penalties dissipate as you reach within a few levels of the material you are deconning.
    ^^^ This ...

Your inspiration has nothing to do with your character level. If you're deconning a VR3 item on a character that is only level 5 in that craft your inspiration gain will be penalized.

You get the most inspiration from deconning items that are just a few levels above your level in the respective craft.
    :smile: