Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templar or Nightblade Archer

Red_Crusade
Hey everyone, I need some help making a decision on what kind of a character I should make. I wanna make a character thats like me in a way. So that means it definitely needs to be an archer; it has to use a bow. I need a little help choosing my class though.

I want to have a class that does a decent amount of damage, but also allows me to heal my allies a decent amount of health too. So with that in mind should I choose templar? I know they have ranged attack skills and healing skills which seems like a good class to choose for me, but I was wondering should I go with nighblade? I haven't looked into nightblade that much but I know they do have some skills that heal their allies and they have a lot of skills to deal good damage. I just want to have a character that can basically do damage just as well as it can heal allies. Im pretty sure I should go with the templar, but I'm not too sure.

And as for the weapons, Obviously I'm more of a ranged attack player so I'm definitely going to use a bow, but I do use one handed weapons when it fits the part (sometimes I dual wield daggers). So for my secondary weapon should I dual wield daggers, use a healing staff, just use the bow, or something else?

Please let me know what your thoughts are. They are ALL appreciated. Thanks for the help!
  • AudioVortex
    AudioVortex
    ✭✭
    I think what you should do is look into the classes more before making a decision. Use this forum and look at the builds on offer and choose a cookie cutter to start with, then adapt that as you go and find what works for you.

You don't see many Templar healers, with a bow or dual wield daggers but I'm sure they're out there, but it's not the "norm". Most healers these days have to be /dps a little, otherwise you won't get anywhere. So ideally, if you want to heal, go Templar and Heal/DPS.

Also there's not many Nightblade healers either but again I'm sure they're out there. This would be more your bow and dual daggers class with a heavy focus on DPS, you could chuck in and use the abilities that do heal, but really it would be minimal, I personally don't see it sustaining a party.

I'm not a fountain of knowledge and have hardly played compared to some here and so I find it very useful to scour the internet and forums before going for something. Or just experiment!
    Edited by AudioVortex on September 29, 2015 1:20PM
    Vex Carlotta - Templar - Imperial - Aldmeri Dominion - VR2 - Werewolf
    Casamir Naharis - Dragon Knight (Tank) - Dunmer - Aldmeri Dominion - VR10 - Werewolf
    Razelan Azani - Nightblade - Redguard - Daggerfall Covenant - L45
    EU Dominion - Aldmeri Kings
    EU Daggerfall - Daggerfalls Elite
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are going archer, you should make either a nightblade (good escape) or a dragon knight(good defence while shooting arrows)

PC EU
    PvP only
  • rb2001
    rb2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    My main is a pure healer NB. Yes, she has some ability to dish out damage, but everything possible is spec'd for healing.

With a bow, you'll need to go Stamina, and with Stamina, you won't be very effective as a healer as an NB (as there is basically only 1 Stamina heal available to you, Vigor, other than damage abilities that give slight heals).

As a Magicka NB, I heal great, but as Stamina, that's not viable.

I'm not able to speak for Templar, or for hybrid builds.

Hope that helps.
  • Fizzlewizzle
    Fizzlewizzle
    ✭✭✭✭
    I know very little ways of creating a decent archer build which supports the team.

The only thing i can think off is using a bow as a "tool", with the long shot passive.
    Every skill has its range, and if you stand as far away as possible you should get the bonus given by longshot.
    Using that, with maybe a magicka build, might give you certain options.

I'm no NB expert (i only play a Templar), but Funnel health has a 28M range.
    If you stand as far away as possible and use Funnel health as main DPS skill, you might be able to deal decent damage and heal your allies at the same time.

Idk how strong Funnel health is, but it heals for 25% of the damage done.
    (just an idea through)
    Mending-The-Wounded, Aldmeri Dominion, Templar.
  •  Red_Crusade
    I may try going nightblade first to see how it goes. But I'm not limiting myself to use only a bow, like i said, I'm also willing to use other weapons you think might be better for the healing part.
  • AudioVortex
    AudioVortex
    ✭✭
    I may try going nightblade first to see how it goes. But I'm not limiting myself to use only a bow, like i said, I'm also willing to use other weapons you think might be better for the healing part.

I'm afraid in that case then (Because ESO) you will have to decide whether to go down the magicka route, or stamina route. Yeh you don't want to limit yourself but you wont be able to switch easily between bow and a resto staff (for heals) unless you reset morphs and skill points.

If you choose healer go with magicka, magicka morphs and off destro so you can still dish out high dps. But forget the bow. If you want bow, go stamina, stamina morphs and maybe off dual wield to keep dps up, but you'll have to forget the staffs.

Edited by AudioVortex on September 29, 2015 1:35PM
    Vex Carlotta - Templar - Imperial - Aldmeri Dominion - VR2 - Werewolf
    Casamir Naharis - Dragon Knight (Tank) - Dunmer - Aldmeri Dominion - VR10 - Werewolf
    Razelan Azani - Nightblade - Redguard - Daggerfall Covenant - L45
    EU Dominion - Aldmeri Kings
    EU Daggerfall - Daggerfalls Elite
  • RooBeeO
    RooBeeO
    ✭✭
    I play two templars with two different builds, a working progress. I've been thinking of a healer support build for my third templar.

This is what I've come up with thus far. How effective it is I'm uncertain.

Race Imperial

Magicka 40+ points, rest into Stam.

Bow

Puncturing sweep
    Scorched earth
    Focused aim
    Structured entropy
    Evil hunter
    Flawless dawnbreaker

DW or any weapon

Radiant aura
    Extended ritual
    Inner light
    Structured entropy
    Breath of life
    Remembrance

1st bar is the range damage, plus Punchering sweep for close targets.The idea here is not to be top of th dps charts, but to give dps support so you can stay alive and heal.

2nd bar is healing and support.

It's a basic, easy build overall. May need tweeks by you and / or experienced players.
  • Resipsa131
    Resipsa131
    ✭✭✭
    DK archer is fun when you are raining down hate and malcontent you can stand in the battle and reflect and mitigate damage.

If you want to go the Magicka route you could be a Magicka NB and go Resto/Destro and use Merciless Resolve which procs off 4 light hits I use that on my Magicka NB the visual is quite satisfying as is the Resource free DPS.
    Edited by Resipsa131 on October 5, 2015 6:59PM
  • Wolfy2512
    Wolfy2512
    I know it doesn't solve your problem Red, but when I wasn't sure about creating an alt to my main Sorc, I created 2 characters, a NB and a Templar, in the same city, and played the same quests through to see which I preferred with a bow build.

After about an hours gameplay with both I then dropped everything in the bank with the character I preferred less, and then deleted it.

I'm not using mine to heal other though, so won't bother posting my build.