Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Any changes to crafting planned?

Huggernaut
Huggernaut
✭✭✭✭
@ZOS_GinaBruno has anything been said that I'm not aware of?

I have no issues with the majority of crafting. What I do have an issue with is being limited to 3 research slots, and then having those slots tied up for 24 and then 30 days at a time learning the last 2 traits in each category (x6 for wood & x14 for heavy, med, light armor); that's not even counting the other 7 traits with variable amounts of time that add up to not an insignificant amount of time in their own right.

That is an astoundingly absurd amount of time to ask people to wait in order to craft gear.

Yes, I am aware people can always pay others for this service, but that is besides the point. You should be able to be self sufficient. If you go out and gather your own mats, and level your crafting out until 50, you should have every right to expect to be able to craft your own gear and not have to wait 6 months before that is even feasible.

It's already bad enough we have to spend 6 months of real time leveling a mount, that can be dealt with to some extent (still think it's absurd personally), but crafting is major function of this game.
  • Troneon
    Troneon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They will probably put everything crafting related in the crown store and bring out a new DLC, right before that they will nerf all crafting gear into the ground again to make sure you buy the new stuff....

Oh wait sorry they already did that. :wink:

So much for what they said about crafting at launch...
    Edited by Troneon on September 25, 2015 11:52AM
    PC EU AD
    Master Crafter - Anything you need!!
    High Elf Magicka Templar Healer/DPS/Tank
    Trials / Dungeons / PVP / Everything
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    MMOrpg ... everything is subject to change.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • daemonios
    daemonios
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So what next, more research slots or even full traits in the Clown Store?

Leveling a crafting profession is actually working pretty well. You need to increase your level through inspiration (there are a few imbalances there since the beginning, you can max your provisioning in no time, while enchanting takes a LOT of glyph deconstruction) and in the case of gear crafting, you need to research the traits. I think it's about right the way it is, especially considering that (i) there is no RNG involved (imagine if you could "fail" a trait research) and (ii) you can play the game while researching. Even better, you can spread your crafting professions between several characters and you'll get there in 1/3 of the time. I did that initially, so I have 1 max-level, 8-trait clothier, 1 woodworker and 1 blacksmith. Only after that did I decide to have 1 character with 9 traits in every craft, which I'm just about finishing now.

A max-level, 9-trait crafter should be no different from a VR16 character. Some time should have to be invested in getting there. But that's just my opinion.
  • Huggernaut
    Huggernaut
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ya as I said, I have no issues with leveling the crafter to 50. I just think there is far too much time investment needed for learning 9 traits.

More slots wouldn't solve the issue, simply think they need to reduce all the research timers by 50%. Simple as that.

But hey, maybe that's just me.
  • 13igTyme
    13igTyme
    ✭✭✭
    daemonios wrote: »
    So what next, more research slots or even full traits in the Clown Store?

Leveling a crafting profession is actually working pretty well. You need to increase your level through inspiration (there are a few imbalances there since the beginning, you can max your provisioning in no time, while enchanting takes a LOT of glyph deconstruction) and in the case of gear crafting, you need to research the traits. I think it's about right the way it is, especially considering that (i) there is no RNG involved (imagine if you could "fail" a trait research) and (ii) you can play the game while researching. Even better, you can spread your crafting professions between several characters and you'll get there in 1/3 of the time. I did that initially, so I have 1 max-level, 8-trait clothier, 1 woodworker and 1 blacksmith. Only after that did I decide to have 1 character with 9 traits in every craft, which I'm just about finishing now.

A max-level, 9-trait crafter should be no different from a VR16 character. Some time should have to be invested in getting there. But that's just my opinion.

Don't give them any ideas. Next thing you know they'll be based of percentage and you have to stay at the crafting station until it's done.
    PS4 | NA | l3igTyme

Thinking about coming back to play...
  • ZOS_Julien
    Hello there,

Thread moved to Crafting section.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited Moderation Team - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Facebook | Twitter | Google+ | Tumblr | Pinterest | YouTube | ESO Knowledge Base
    Staff Post
  • whyB
    whyB
    ✭✭✭
    keep it as is, in my opinion. Anything worth having, takes time / effort to get
  • BenevolentBowd
    BenevolentBowd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To items that come to mind that have been mentioned are
    1. Crafting item preview UI
    2. Crafting Mat bag for ESO Plus members
    Megaservers: PC NA / EU (sometimes) Xbox NA (sometimes)
    Luxury Furniture Gallery [PC/NA]: Moon-Sugar Meadow
    Website:BenevolentBowd.ca, "Sharing My Notes With the World to Help Others"
    Charity:#GivingTheNewMeta
    ESO Calendarmancer: http://benevolentbowd.ca/calendar (10+ timezones to choose from)
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/BenevolentBowd
    #TeamStackableTreasureMaps
  • ianshere82b14_ESO
    I am surprised that no companies copied the SWG resource/crafting system (pre-NGE) since many MMO players considered it to be the best system ever. No items were locked behind a raid/dungeon, or had anything to do with combat for that matter. Crafters could be crafters and were not forced into specific content simply because thats where the item they needed was located. As a noob you had to sample resources by hand in small amounts, over time you gained the ability to place machines that could do alot of the heavy lifting for you, create better stations for crafting bonuses, food bonuses, etc. It was a progression in and of itself. Of course if you had lots of money you could cut corners and purchase some of these things and get a crafter up relatively fast, but yea...
  • Akrasjel
    Akrasjel
    ✭✭✭✭
    You should be able to be self sufficient.
    Being self sufficient kills trade... we don't want that.
    [PC][EU][Daggerfall Covenant]
    Akrasjel Lanate - Imperial Nightblade | 50 | CP900+
    Born: 2E 551

Member of: | Traders of the Covenant | Hammerfell Trading | Imperial Trading Company |
    Houses: Strident Springs Demesne,

• Asmael
    Asmael
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I wouldn't mind having a way to get an item that decreases research time by a certain amount, like a book reducing the remaining duration of a specific research by 50% on use. At least you'd have something to do if you really want to reduce the time it takes. You'd still need to get over 60 books just to reduce the duration of each 15/30 days reserches.

Of course you could trade them for a nice price.
    PC EU - Zahraji of the Void, aka "Kitty", the fluffiest salmon genocider in town.
    Poke @AsmaeI (last letter is uppercase "i") on PC EU or Asmael#9325 on Discord and receive a meow today.
  • Rosveen
    Rosveen
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Huggernaut wrote: »
    That is an astoundingly absurd amount of time to ask people to wait in order to craft gear.
    There are two 9 trait sets in the game. Most of the best sets sit at 6 or fewer traits. Do you really feel you can't craft until you've finished all possible research? Because that's what's absurd.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rosveen wrote: »
    There are two 9 trait sets in the game. Most of the best sets sit at 6 or fewer traits.

There is no gear related reason to go above 6 traits. IN fact some of the most powerful crafted sets in the game can be made only knowing 2 or 3 traits. Sure there are some nice 4 to 6 trait sets, but I still use Ashen Grip and Seducer on my VR Ranked characters.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• EddieHavok
    It would be nice to add a new passive that reduces research or even a consumable that allows for instant knowledge on an item, to allow for another venue when your current slots are filled. I would like to be able to queue them up so they can run on their own with little interaction on my part. Having to run to a city when the timer runs out every time or forget that I have a slot open feels like wasted time.
    LFG/PS4/NA/EP/SorcV4