The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The Betnikh decision - WARNING - SPOILERS!

Violynne
Violynne
✭✭✭✭✭
The ending of Carzog's Demise has me perplexed.

With my second character, I decided to give the treasure to the Covenant (since my first character got scolded by the ship's captain) and now I'm "paying for" this decision.

Question: just how much time could have passed between leaving this island and arriving in Glenumbra such that the device was used against the Orcs? I'm constantly getting berated for my decision and it seems completely out of place given I'm thinking the boat only sailed for a day or two, clearly not enough time for the orb to be used since it was on the boat.

Is there something I'm missing or is this the worst story outcome of the game?
  • Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the decision I wrestled with,too. Playing as an orc, I decided to destroy the relic because I certainly don't want the Redguard to use it against them once the Covenant falls through. It's bad enough that in the future Orsinium will get nuked over and over again. The way I see it, my decision may have saved them from extinction.

Regarding your question, I don't think it says they used the relic on the Seamount clan then. I do know that in the game Daggerfall, Betnikh goes back to its old name Betony, so I assume the Bretons took it back? (Haven't played Daggerfall myself so this is just speculation)
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Violynne
    Violynne
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cadbury wrote: »
    Regarding your question, I don't think it says they used the relic on the Seamount clan then.
    But that's just it: they do!

I only found this out because I talked to Lumbra (sp) and the mage who I helped get as crew and both berated me for my decision in allowing the Covenant to use the relic!

This perplexed me because 1) they were also on the boat with me and 2) they act as if it happened a while ago despite mere hours of leaving the ship at Glenumbra.

Granted, the decision didn't affect the game in any way, but hearing this was rather shocking.

• Cadbury
    Cadbury
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh wow XD

When I first started playing , I used up my limited deletes to try out the different classes. I've ran through DC starting islands four times; two keeping the relic, and the last two destroying it. I'm ashamed to admit it I must have missed where they used it on the seamount orcs. Son of a...

See, this is one of the problems I have with ESO ( well, and the latest ES games in general) is that the NPC's don't react to your race. It's amusing when guards say something like "Watch it, orc" but the fact they treat all of your characters mostly the same kinda dampens the immersion, ya know?
    "If a person is truly desirous of something, perhaps being set on fire does not seem so bad."
  • Enodoc
    Enodoc
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did Lambur accuse you of? I don't recall any mention of it being used on the Seamount Orcs. Allowing the Covenant to use the relic doesn't mean that they have actually used it yet, it just means that there's the potential for them to use it in the future.
    UESP: The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages - A collaborative source for all knowledge on the Elder Scrolls series since 1995
    Join us on Discord - discord.gg/uesp
  • newtinmpls
    newtinmpls
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh Daedra Bless it, anyone who thinks it wouldn't be used, and rather soon is quite naive.
    Tenesi Faryon of Telvanni - Dunmer Sorceress who deliberately sought sacrifice into Cold Harbor to rescue her beloved.
    Hisa Ni Caemaire - Altmer Sorceress, member of the Order Draconis and Adept of the House of Dibella.
    Broken Branch Toothmaul - goblin (for my goblin characters, I use either orsimer or bosmer templates) Templar, member of the Order Draconis and persistently unskilled pickpocket
    Mol gro Durga - Orsimer Socerer/Battlemage who died the first time when the Nibenay Valley chapterhouse of the Order Draconis was destroyed, then went back to Cold Harbor to rescue his second/partner who was still captive. He overestimated his resistance to the hopelessness of Oblivion, about to give up, and looked up to see the golden glow of atherius surrounding a beautiful young woman who extended her hand to him and said "I can help you". He carried Fianna Kingsley out of Cold Harbor on his shoulder. He carried Alvard Stower under one arm. He also irritated the Prophet who had intended the portal for only Mol and Lyris.
    Order Draconis - well c'mon there has to be some explanation for all those dragon tattoos.
    House of Dibella - If you have ever seen or read "Memoirs of a Geisha" that's just the beginning...
    Nibenay Valley Chapterhouse - Where now stands only desolate ground and a dolmen there once was a thriving community supporting one of the major chapterhouses of the Order Draconis
  • Victus
    Victus
    ✭✭✭
    I thought (could be wrong) that you could either destroy the relic or keep it for yourself. One of my characters I chose to not destroy it (he is a little power hungry) and got the usual split-crew reactions. I think the assumption is that it will be given to the DC to use, but hey, I don't recall giving me the option to hand it over ;)
    Throm the First - Redguard Dragon Knight - Daggerfall Covenant
  • driosketch
    driosketch
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Talk to the crew when you meet them in Wayrest. If I recall correctly, if you keep it they use it once on AD forces before it burns out. Destroy it, and the cabin girl's brothers do end up killed in the battle that happens.
    Edited by driosketch on September 29, 2015 10:04PM
    Main: Drio Azul ~ DC, Redguard, Healer/Magicka Templar ~ NA-PC
    ●The Psijic Order●The Sidekick Order●Great House Hlaalu●Bal-Busters●
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What perplexes me is the idea that Captain Kaleen (the Redguard who voted to keep the relic) thought it would be a GOOD idea to turn it over to King Fahara'jad. Moderately late in the Covenant questlines, you end up in Alik'r Desert, where the native Redguards refuse to harm the zombies of their raised dead because it goes against their sacred dogma, and doing so results in one becoming banished and segregated from the rest of their society.

So, a giving the King of Redguards a relic that commands the spirits of the DEAD is a good idea... how?

I never made the decision to keep the relic (I play orcs exclusively), so I was unaware it burned out after being used once against Dominion forces. But regardless of that, I couldn't see any situation where King Farara'jad uses that relic and does not get his head handed to him by the religiously devout amongst his people -- which is to say probably most of them. The potential political ramifications would be shattering.

Even if King Fahara'jad chooses to entomb the relic in the Impervious Vault to keep it out of everyone's hands, the player learns later how much of a fantastic disaster THAT would be over the course of that region's questline.

All in all... Kaleen is freaking crackers, and there's no reason to keep the relic, in my assessment.

That said, I was a little annoyed at Kaleen and Nicolene's attitudes throughout the main questline -- I guess you get nagged at no matter which side you pick -- though at least they chill out a little towards the end.

This is all good, though. I like having a hard decision with no clean-and-clear solution and long-term story-based repercussions. MOAR! :)
          In verity.
  • carljokl
    carljokl
    ✭✭✭
    My Breton character banished the relic.
    My Orc alt took it. (I was curious to see what would happen differently).
    Clearly I am doing this wrong.

I was a bit taken back when I destroyed the relic that I seemed to get so chewed out for doing what seemed like the sensible thing. Then with an alt I see what happens if I do things the other way only to seem to get even more chewed out. Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

I actually stumbled across this when trying to figure out for curiosity's sake how Betnik ends up becoming Betony again. ESO establishes that the island used to be Betony and the Orismer conquered it from the Bretons. At some point the Bretons much conquer it back as it is Betony again by the time of the events of Elder Scrolls Daggerfall. It does seem a bit of a wierd place for the Orismer to take over. So close to Daggerfall, it would be thought easy for the Bretons to maintain not to mention being far separated from Orsinium and Wrothgar.
    Edited by carljokl on September 8, 2016 9:33AM
    My Characters

Xargothius: Breton - JOAT / Magsorc | Orchid the Fair: Orismer - Crafter / Heavy Tank | Voneri Vox: Dunmer - Magplar Healer | Rexorgiana: Imperial - Temptress / Magblade
    Phirkius: Altmer - MagSorc | Rexorigus: Imperial - Med Tank / StamKnight | Sven Svedishchef: Nord - Provisioner / Stamplar | Finds-All-Fungi: Argonian - Alchemist/ Stamblade
    Emerald-Wild-Guard: Bosmer - Wyrd / StamSorc | Nates Datum Festi: Imperial - Light Tank / StamKnight | Magnolia Desert-Blossom: Redguard - 2 Handed Stamplar | Shadow-Softpaw: Khajiit - StamBlade
    Sorcerer | Dragon Knight | Templar | Night Blade
  • BrianDavion
    BrianDavion
    ✭✭✭✭
    ORSIMER didn't take it over, a clan of orcs did. the Orcs as a people aren't exactly united
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Recently someone asked me about what happens if you keep the relic since I kept it on one of my alts doing Cadwell's quests to test the outcome, so I took some screenshots of crew member conversations to show her. Every time you run into them in a city's port they may tell you something about what happened because of your decision.

This is how Neramo explains what happens (I wish I could have given it to him just saying - what could possibly go wrong? >:)). In short though the Covenant tinkers with it and use it to defend themselves against a Dominion attack, killing the Dominion forces but rendering the relic useless in the process. It is not used against the orcs.

Screenshot_20160717_212534.png

Screenshot_20160717_212552.png

Screenshot_20160717_212603.png

Screenshot_20160717_212613.png
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • Eiagra
    Eiagra
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering how the other line went. Gosh, he's not salty at all, is he? :P

Also, that was random seeing an old post brought up. I didn't even know I had this tracked until I saw notifications for it, lol.
          In verity.
  • dodgehopper_ESO
    dodgehopper_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Eiagra wrote: »
    What perplexes me is the idea that Captain Kaleen (the Redguard who voted to keep the relic) thought it would be a GOOD idea to turn it over to King Fahara'jad. Moderately late in the Covenant questlines, you end up in Alik'r Desert, where the native Redguards refuse to harm the zombies of their raised dead because it goes against their sacred dogma, and doing so results in one becoming banished and segregated from the rest of their society.

So, a giving the King of Redguards a relic that commands the spirits of the DEAD is a good idea... how?

I never made the decision to keep the relic (I play orcs exclusively), so I was unaware it burned out after being used once against Dominion forces. But regardless of that, I couldn't see any situation where King Farara'jad uses that relic and does not get his head handed to him by the religiously devout amongst his people -- which is to say probably most of them. The potential political ramifications would be shattering.

Even if King Fahara'jad chooses to entomb the relic in the Impervious Vault to keep it out of everyone's hands, the player learns later how much of a fantastic disaster THAT would be over the course of that region's questline.

All in all... Kaleen is freaking crackers, and there's no reason to keep the relic, in my assessment.

That said, I was a little annoyed at Kaleen and Nicolene's attitudes throughout the main questline -- I guess you get nagged at no matter which side you pick -- though at least they chill out a little towards the end.

This is all good, though. I like having a hard decision with no clean-and-clear solution and long-term story-based repercussions. MOAR! :)

@Eiagra I 100% agree. I just wish I could deal with Kaleen and Nicolene permanently. If this were a game like Morrowind or Oblivion, I'd surely push them off the cliff, defenestrate them, accidentally poison them with nightshade, or otherwise knock them into the well. These two NPC's deserve execution and are only going to mean harm to the covenant as well as everyone else on Nirn. They're toxic and need destroyd.

Also, I can't possibly find a good reason to use the relic. Think about it, no matter who or what your character is, this is a relic of Molag Bal, the guy who you just escaped from and have a vendetta against. Why help him?
    US/AD - Dodge Hopper - Vet Imperial Templar | US/AD - Goj-ei-Raj - Vet Argonian Nightblade
    US/AD - Arondonimo - Vet Altmer Sorcerer | US/AD - Azumarax - Vet Dunmer Dragon Knight
    US/AD - Barkan al-Sheharesh - Vet Redguard Dragon Knight | US/AD - Aelus Vortavoriil - Vet Altmer Templar
    US/AD - Shirari Qa'Dar - Vet Khajiit Nightblade | US/AD - Ndvari Mzunchvolenthumz - Vet Bosmer Nightblade
    US/EP - Yngmar - Vet Nord Dragon Knight | US/EP - Reloth Ur Fyr - Vet Dunmer Sorcerer
    US/DC - Muiredeach - Vet Breton Sorcerer | US/DC - Nachtrabe - Vet Orc Nightblade
    EU/DC - Dragol gro-Unglak - Vet Orc Dragon Knight | EU/DC - Targan al-Barkan - Vet Redguard Templar
    EU/DC - Wuthmir - Vet Nord Sorcerer | EU/DC - Kosh Ragotoro - Vet Khajiit Nightblade
    <And plenty more>
  • ListerJMC
    ListerJMC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was wondering how the other line went. Gosh, he's not salty at all, is he? :P

Also, that was random seeing an old post brought up. I didn't even know I had this tracked until I saw notifications for it, lol.

Yeah he is soooo bitter and salty over not being able to study the relic! If you keep the relic he still complains it's such a shame he didn't get to study it. I really wanted to give it to him just for fun :D.

And wow I didn't even realise this thread was that old, I just saw it on "Recent Discussions"!
    PC NA & EU || Mammoth Guilds - Victory or Valhalla || Altmer sorcerer main
    "Wood Elves aren't made of wood. Sea Elves aren't made of water. M'aiq still wonders about High Elves."
  • undefeatdgaul
    undefeatdgaul
    ✭✭✭
    gotta destroy that thing
  • WhiteCoatSyndrome
    WhiteCoatSyndrome
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Concur that it should be destroyed. It's fueled by souls--Nicolene can gripe as much as she likes; I don't hear her offering her OWN soul to feed the thing. :angry:

It's bad that I remember her trying to guilt trip me about her brothers dying and still feel no sympathy for her.
    #proud2BAStarObsessedLoony
    PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!
    A useful explanation for how RNG works

PC/NA ROLLBACKS AND BAN NOTIFICATIONS ANNOUNCEMENT.
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Concur that it should be destroyed. It's fueled by souls--Nicolene can gripe as much as she likes; I don't hear her offering her OWN soul to feed the thing. :angry:

It's bad that I remember her trying to guilt trip me about her brothers dying and still feel no sympathy for her.

Nicolene is the worst NPC in the game :D

Ok, maybe the invincible guards are a little worse.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Curragraigue
    Curragraigue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Honoured Dead are dead Redguards. The relic brings back dead Ayleids so shouldn't be a problem for them.
    PUG Life - the true test of your skill

18 characters, 17 max level, at least 1 Stam and 1 Mag of every class, 1 of every race and 1200+ CP

Tanked to Undaunted 9+ Mag and Stam of every class using Group Finder for 90+% of the Vet Dungeon runs
  • SilverAnna
    SilverAnna
    Soul Shriven
    I think it is funny, later you meet Captain Kaleen and Nicolene again. Kaleen has gotten herself into trouble and you have to save her, after she told you she never wants to see you again. Hehe. I loved it.
    SilverAnna