Update 44 is now available for testing on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/categories/pts
Maintenance for the week of September 30:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for maintenance – September 30, 4:00AM EDT (8:00 UTC) - 10:00AM EDT (14:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – October 2, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Can someone explain what 'hard mode' is?

soleil.clercb14_ESO
I finally got a character to vet rank 1, tried out veteran city of ash for the undaunted pledge last night, didn't finish lol. Got stuck at the fire maw guy. Then I found out there is a hard mode to dungeons. Can someone elaborate on what hard mode is? Is it different than veteran mode?
Thanks
Edited by Psiion on February 10, 2023 10:54PM
  • nine9six
    nine9six
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Giggity...
    Wake up, we're here. Why are you shaking? Are you ok? Wake up...
  • lifefrombelowb14_ESO
    Um I think its that some group dungeons have special things you can do like destroying items in a room for example that cause a special set of conditions for a boss fight or instance.

Or a limiter like X# of res/wipes.
    Edited by lifefrombelowb14_ESO on September 23, 2015 4:01PM
  • Etaniel
    Etaniel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'm not a PvE pro, but I believe hard mode is triggered on certain bosses. Example, while running in City of Ash in veteran mode, you get to the last boss and there is a mechanic with 5 platforms that get destroyed as the fight go on. Players can trigger the hard mode by activating an item in the boss room (never activated the thing so I don't know what it is ^^) and it destroys 2 platforms, thus making it supposedly harder. I don't think every boss in the game has a hard mode.
    Noricum | Kitesquad

Youtube

AR 41 DC DK

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard mode is doing the vet dungeon with a certain mechanic for the last boss fight that is what you need to earn a gold key from a pledge instead of a silver key. The particular mechanic depends on the dungeon, but the one for vet CoA removes a couple of the platforms in the fight, so you're much more limited in where you can stand without getting burned by lava.

It might be worth noting that CoA is considered by everyone I know to be the hardest of the vet dungeons, so don't feel too bad that you couldn't complete it at VR1 - it's not really meant for VR1 characters. It might be better to try some of the easier vet dungeons first.
    Caius Drusus Imperial DK (DC)
    Bragg Ironhand Orc Temp (DC)
    Neesha Stalks-Shadows Argonian NB (EP)
    Falidir Altmer Sorcr (AD)
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Isabeau Runeseer Breton Sorc (DC)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
    Tylera the Summoner Altmer Sorc (EP)
    Svari Snake-Blood Nord DK (AD)
    Ashlyn D'Elyse Breton NB (EP)
    Filindria Bosmer Temp (DC)
    Vigbjorn the Wanderer Nord Warden (EP)
    Hrokki Winterborn Breton Warden (DC)
    Basks-in-the-Sunshine Argonian Temp
    Someone stole my sweetroll
  • Merlin13KAGL
    Merlin13KAGL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Each vet dungeon has an extra 'requirement' that constitutes hard mode.

It's dungeon dependent, and adds another layer of difficulty to the final fight, in most cases.

Complete the requirement on pledge day, and you get a Gold key, vice a Silver one. (Better gear on pledge turn in.)

The easiest way to see which these are is to go into your (J)ournal, Achievements, Dungeons, Vet Group Dungeons.

You'll see various achievement names that will specify the requirement. (For instance, Banished Cells, you have to have 3 Daedroth alive when you kill the boss)

You don't have to have the pledge to complete the achievement, but you do have to complete the achievement to get the gold key on pledge day.

Note: Make sure you read the fine print and do exactly what it calls for or it won't give it to you. (For instance, in BC, you have to have at least 3, whereas in CoH, you have to have exactly 4.

Try the regular Vet Group Dungeons first, then add hard mode later, I recommend.

Kudos for even setting foot in Vet CoA at VR1 and getting that far, as it does not scale below VR14.

Good luck.
    Just because you don't like the way something is doesn't necessarily make it wrong...

Earn it.

IRL'ing for a while for assorted reasons, in forum, and in game.
    I am neither warm, nor fuzzy...
    Probably has checkbox on Customer Service profile that say High Aggro, 99% immunity to BS
  • Shunravi
    Shunravi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Hardmodes are players agreeing to deal with an additional mechanic in order to receive a better reward. This can be things like having the tank hold a bunch of adds, not stopping a mechanic, turning the fight into a dps race, changing the boss' adds, or any number of things.
    This one has an eloquent and well thought out response to tha... Ooh sweetroll!
  • Thelon
    Thelon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Each vet dungeon and trial has a "hard mode"

For vet dungeon daily pledges, you'll need to complete hard mode to be awarded a Gold Key. Completing hard mode does not impact the drop rate of Undaunted Helms.

For trials, completing hard mode rewards additional points towards your groups Trial Score, and unlocks special achievements and Armor dyes.

Hard mode is often activated by interacting with an object(s) prior to initiating the final boss encounter of the vet dungeon / trial. There is no hard mode for other bosses in the instance, such as the Daedroth in vet CoA in your example.
    Edited by Thelon on September 23, 2015 4:02PM
  • soleil.clercb14_ESO
    Thank your Merlin
  • phbell
    phbell
    ✭✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    Hard mode is doing the vet dungeon with a certain mechanic for the last boss fight that is what you need to earn a gold key from a pledge instead of a silver key. The particular mechanic depends on the dungeon, but the one for vet CoA removes a couple of the platforms in the fight, so you're much more limited in where you can stand without getting burned by lava.

It might be worth noting that CoA is considered by everyone I know to be the hardest of the vet dungeons, so don't feel too bad that you couldn't complete it at VR1 - it's not really meant for VR1 characters. It might be better to try some of the easier vet dungeons first.

Indeed - don't feel bad. I ran it with a group (all V16) that run together all the time. We used to beat Valkin Skoria (last boss) in hard mode. Since 1.7 landed it is a whole new game. We finally ran out of time - never finished.
  • soleil.clercb14_ESO
    So to clarify, hard mode only exists in veteran dungeons?
  • lifefrombelowb14_ESO

Yes only vet group dungeons. Not public or normal dungeons since the "hardmode" boss is typically locked away on normal (Fungal Grotto for example you can't go through the door on normal).
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, there's no hard mode in the non-vet dungeons. I guess you could call the difference between a bronze key from a pledge and a silver key the difference between easy mode and normal mode... But really a silver key just means you killed all of the bosses without skipping any.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭

Exactly :)
    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)
  • tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭
    @Merlin

I think CoA does scale now.... at least, on PS4, it did for us. We went in Vet mode with different hosts to test and received VR6 mobs or VR1 mobs as host dependent... that said, we couldn't beat Skoria waisted a lot of time on that boss... one day, I'll return and get payback. (PS that was on PS4 and during 1.6 update - previous patch)

+ + +

OP

Think "hard mode" for a FIGHT, not for the whole dungeon.

From what I've seen, It's a toggle or option you can 'select' in the last boss fight of a dungeon (if its available elsewhere in a dungeon, I haven't seen it yet - only final bosses for those I've seen and only in Vet mode). The purpose is to activate a harder version of the fight... the reward varies, but some of the undaunted vet GOLD keys require this hard mode to be satisfied for the dungeon, in other cases, I have 'heard' that the loot table drop chances for the monster helm increase if you toggle the hard mode... does it? I don't know.

In City of Ash, you go to the back right platform before the fight with VS to eliminate two platforms before the fight starts, so the clock for the fight is shorter... less realestate to play on... in the dungeon with a giant titan at the end EH??? there's a piece of paper on a table before engaging the boss, click it and hardmode engaged (can't recall name of that dungeon), there's a ton more fire on the ground and he summons a second set of wraith adds - so much harder to kill... anyway, you get the idea.

Cheers,
    NA, PS4, vr13-DE Maj DK, vr9-HE Maj Sorc, vr1-Kaj Stam NB
    Knowledge is Power
  • Makkir
    Makkir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob can explain what hard mode means.

enzyte-aphrodisiacs-660.jpg

• UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tactica wrote: »
    in the dungeon with a giant titan at the end EH??? there's a piece of paper on a table before engaging the boss, click it and hardmode engaged (can't recall name of that dungeon), there's a ton more fire on the ground and he summons a second set of wraith adds - so much harder to kill... anyway, you get the idea.

Cheers,
    Oh, is that what reading the book does in vet Elden Hollow? I've never done that dungeon without activating that, so I had no idea what effect it actually had on the fight. Most of the hard mode fights it's easy to tell what it is that's actually making it more difficult (keeping 3 daedroths alive in Banished Cells, keeping the innocents alive in Spindleclutch, etc), but I was never sure for Elden Hollow what it was that was different if you chose not to read the book before the fight.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • tactica
    tactica
    ✭✭✭
    UrQuan wrote: »
    tactica wrote: »
    in the dungeon with a giant titan at the end EH??? there's a piece of paper on a table before engaging the boss, click it and hardmode engaged (can't recall name of that dungeon), there's a ton more fire on the ground and he summons a second set of wraith adds - so much harder to kill... anyway, you get the idea.

Cheers,
    Oh, is that what reading the book does in vet Elden Hollow? I've never done that dungeon without activating that, so I had no idea what effect it actually had on the fight. Most of the hard mode fights it's easy to tell what it is that's actually making it more difficult (keeping 3 daedroths alive in Banished Cells, keeping the innocents alive in Spindleclutch, etc), but I was never sure for Elden Hollow what it was that was different if you chose not to read the book before the fight.

We stumbled upon it actually.

If you stand on the steps before the titan, and just point your view toward where the way point is on the table, then look over the middle top of screen, it reads what the page does and says something to the effect about hard mode (don't have it committed to memory).

First time we encountered it, we were attempting the dungeon vet mode just for giggles and had a lowby host vr2 or so, we read the pop up from afar, then clicked and activated it as a what the heck kind of thing. We got the boss down to about 1/3 health remaining but asked ourselves why we were pulling our hair out with it... wiped, did NOT click on the page the second time... was way easier (not as much fire, not did not get the second type of summoned wraiths - way easier with the crew we had).
    NA, PS4, vr13-DE Maj DK, vr9-HE Maj Sorc, vr1-Kaj Stam NB
    Knowledge is Power
  • BrassRazoo
    BrassRazoo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard mode is running shield breaker, a bow, and spamming light attacks.
  • zornyan
    zornyan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just to jump in on this guys, even if the levels are scaled (for instance a group of us at vr5 went into a vet dungeon that the Mobs were vr5 in) now even though the enemies were our level, it seemed incredibly difficult.

So if we went in at vet 14 would it be easier? As in even if the Mobs are vet 14 would it be any different due to our characters being stronger/better geared?
  • Usara
    Usara
    ✭✭✭✭
    zornyan wrote: »
    Just to jump in on this guys, even if the levels are scaled (for instance a group of us at vr5 went into a vet dungeon that the Mobs were vr5 in) now even though the enemies were our level, it seemed incredibly difficult.

So if we went in at vet 14 would it be easier? As in even if the Mobs are vet 14 would it be any different due to our characters being stronger/better geared?

When you lack experience, yes, gear and more attributes are a way to compensate.
    Maybe try to rethink the skills in your skill bar. Read them all carefully, and try them in easier situation. If you really don't know where to begin or what you are doing wrong (some skills look great on paper but are close to useless - or a waste of time in the field), don't hesistate to ask for help or debates with friends, guildmates, here on the forum or in game if you can find nice people wiling to share a bit of time and experience :)
    When you are at ease with your skills/rotation.... gear will only be there to upgrade your overall DPS, not to help you do your job.
    Don't try to burn the steps, take your time ! Going too quickly in "endgame content" will only frustrate you otherwise :)
    Edited by Usara on September 24, 2015 10:54AM
    What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I’m stranded somewhere without any pants.

Usara v531 - Usara2 v322 - Escouade Sauvage - PC - EU - EP

Usara Den Thasnet - Retainer of House Hlaalu (Dunmer Templar, heal)
    Livia Augustus - Deserter of the Imperial 7th Legion (Imperial DK, tank)
    Aspen Vael - Battlemage of King Casimir III (Breton Sorcerer, tank/dd magicka)
    Caris Vael - Missing Student of the Mage Guild of Shornhelm (Breton NB, dd magicka, vampire)
    Eugene Fitzherbert - Wanted con artist hiding in Wayrest (Imperial Templar, tank/dd magicka)

Chante-avec-les-escargots - House Hlaalu snail breeder (Argonian NB, tank)
    Ryl Serandas - Mournhold Ordinator (Dunmer DK, dd magicka)
    Dar'Aiean - House Hlaalu Smuggler (Khajiit NB, dd stamina)
    Ferinwe - Alteration Instructor of the Mage Guild of Ebonheart (Altmer Sorcerer, dd magicka, retired)
    Torafhilde Frostdottir - Winterhold Cryomancer (Nord Sorcerer, dd magicka)
    Senecar - Daedra hunter, former Thalmor corps (Altmer Templar, dd magicka)
    Ondres Hlaalu - House Hlaalu Skooma Trader (Dunmer NB, dd magicka)
  • UrQuan
    UrQuan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    zornyan wrote: »

Um, kind of. It's not as much about being stronger/better geared at VR14, though, it's more about being more used to more difficult content by then, having a better idea of how to make your build work for you, and understanding the different fight mechanics. When you first start doing vet dungeons it's a huge jump in difficulty from normal dungeons. With practice (and especially if you get a chance to run some of them with more experienced players who can give you advice) it will get much easier, even if you're the same level. Vet CoA in particular is generally considered to be the hardest vet dungeon, so it's definitely not the best one to take on first - I'd recommend getting through each of the other vet dungeons before trying CoA.
    J'zharka Khajiit NB (AD)
    Fevassa Dunmer DK (EP)
    Manut Redguard Temp (AD)
  • Psiion
    Psiion
    ✭✭✭✭
    Greetings,

Due to the age of this thread and the fact it contains outdated information, we have gone ahead and closed it down. Usually, it is better to create a new thread for discussion instead of bringing information that is no longer relevant to the forefront of the forums.
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.